Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Are you talking about Reston here?

The other thing is that if we lived that far away from the city, we probably wouldn't go into the city as often as we do now. So then I'm thinking, what's the point of putting up with these super high housing prices and a long commute if I'm not going to go into the city very much? Why not just live somewhere cheaper and travel to DC once in awhile for a weekend trip? Right now we close to DC and it's so close on the metro to go into the city to do fun things. I think if we lived 30-45 minutes away, we just wouldn't want to make the effort to drive into the city or drive to a metro and then sit on it for 30 min. just to come into the city. So then what's the point of living near a big, exciting city if you don't make use of all it has to offer on a frequent basis?
Yes I'm talking about Reston. I know it has a reputation for being - way far away - but it really isn't. I go to the city everyday for work and yes I go on weekends for fun too. My husband joined me for dinner in town just last night. We eat out in DC as much as we eat out in Reston. I think the point of living in Reston is to have a nice house at a cost that is less than McLean & Arlington, but that isn't so far away from the city that you wouldn't go there on a regular basis. When I moved here I also looked in Vienna and I too was amazed at the prices for little old houses with street parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:24 AM

206 posts, read 633,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Yes I'm talking about Reston. I know it has a reputation for being - way far away - but it really isn't. I go to the city everyday for work and yes I go on weekends for fun too. My husband joined me for dinner in town just last night. We eat out in DC as much as we eat out in Reston. I think the point of living in Reston is to have a nice house at a cost that is less than McLean & Arlington, but that isn't so far away from the city that you wouldn't go there on a regular basis. When I moved here I also looked in Vienna and I too was amazed at the prices for little old houses with street parking.
Homes in McLean, Arlington, and Vienna cost more for several reasons. The schools are better, it's closer to the beltway, and there are more public transportation options.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:29 AM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
Why do people buy the expensive homes here? Because they can afford to do so. As another poster mentioned, a house is truly worth what buyers are willing to pay for it, and in this area people pay prices of $700K + for the type of lifestyle you are looking for.

I'm not sure about Minneapolis and Cleveland, but I can pretty much guarantee if you wanted to find a place within a 30 minute drive to downtown Philly or Chicago you would be paying similar prices. Large numbers of people want to be close to the epicenter of any major metropolitan area, hence why prices are so expensive.

I would suggest perhaps searching over in Maryland for something in perhaps Silver Spring, the prices there might be a little less for inside the beltway living. If schools aren't an issue then you could probably afford a house close to DC in Prince Georges County MD. Sure it doesn't have the best reputation but it isn't entirely awful.
Silver Spring probably would be a good place to look--we've seen some newer construction there online--but we don't like the area. And it would be a challenging commute for my hubby to get to his particular job from up there.

We have been looking at Philly real estate and the prices tend to be $200-$300 K cheaper than here for the same type of house and same type of suburb. We have found a couple of suburbs with newer construction there that are within 30 min. of the city. Chicago, on the other hand, seems to be more expensive than Philly. We have been looking there too, but in general, Chicago prices seem to be more like DC.

I guess I don't understand who is buying these $700K crapshacks--who can afford those prices and not be house poor.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
Default This has been an interesting thread...

Two things I've learned about living in the northern Virginia area:

*Prioritize needs versus wants. A person needs a short commute, or the family needs a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom single family home, for example. A person wants a garage but can survive here without one. Most "I need"s are really "I want"s.

*Wealthier folks can afford to be picky. Sorry, but it's true! Most people have to make a few concessions when finding a place to live.

Once you accept these two concepts, finding a home to buy or rent in NoVA (or anywhere) becomes much less frustrating.

It's not wrong to want a nice place to live. And nice things will usually come along when you have done your research and then be patient and prepared.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Where does the hubby work? That might help recommendations.

People can afford 700k homes when it's not their first home. Then they have (often) equity to roll into the new home. A couple buying in their late 40's or 50's might be on their third home, and have 200-300k of equity to roll in, or more. That makes a 700k mortgage a 400k mortgage immediately.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 AM

282 posts, read 873,019 times
Doglover29, I read your blog entry and I can see why finding your “dream home” is important. On the other hand, I’d bet it’s harder to find a 70 hour/week job that you love.

Anyway, since schools aren’t an issue, have you looked much in Alexandria City? Like a previous poster said, lots of great neighborhoods and it’s close to DC. A detached house in Old Town is rare and expensive, but Del Ray and Rosemont have character, and are close to restaurants and shopping. If, after 70 hours at the office, the last thing your husband wants to do is “go out”, then you can get larger lots/homes just a little further west in the City.

My wife and I looked for two years (OK Realtors, who’ll sign up for that?), mainly in Alexandria and N. Arlington, before we found something that fit our budget/needs. Location was key (needed that short commute to DC, on public transportation, without a bus/train transfer) and I’m particular about the exterior appearance (vinyl siding – ack! Sloppy fenestration – puh-lease). Oh, and we wanted off-street parking. And it still isn’t our dream home.

As for crapshack, it’s in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I see brand new subdivisions full of them: $800K or $1M+ houses designed by a team of architects and focus-grouping marketing departments. Same layouts over and over, same moldings, same “upgrades”, same pre-fab fireplaces, etc. Carpet over plywood or OSB subflooring – give me a break; “granite and stainless steel” is the new “harvest gold”. Not that there’s anything wrong with any of this – they sell, so they aren’t crapshacks to the folks who buy them and proudly show them off to friends and family. Just like all those new, god-awful split-foyers 40 years ago.

When I was visiting Chicago (in the ‘90s), I really liked Oak Park, even though it was a little run down, and was amazed at the (low) cost of real estate there. Why would anyone buy a new crapshack (see above), when he could live in a real Prairie style house?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM

206 posts, read 633,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Silver Spring probably would be a good place to look--we've seen some newer construction there online--but we don't like the area. And it would be a challenging commute for my hubby to get to his particular job from up there.

We have been looking at Philly real estate and the prices tend to be $200-$300 K cheaper than here for the same type of house and same type of suburb. We have found a couple of suburbs with newer construction there that are within 30 min. of the city. Chicago, on the other hand, seems to be more expensive than Philly. We have been looking there too, but in general, Chicago prices seem to be more like DC.

I guess I don't understand who is buying these $700K crapshacks--who can afford those prices and not be house poor.
Who can afford these crapshacks you say?

Last week, it was reported that Loudon Cty has the highest median salary in the nation. I think Fairfax came in second.

Economically speaking, this area is stable because of big government here, contractors, engineers, lawyers, doctors, etc.

This is not some hick town with only people working at Walmart, 7-11, or the dairy queen.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
I guess I don't understand why you haven't made your peace with the price of real estate in the neighborhoods you like, and decided either to bite the bullet to live in a "crapshack" or to move to a smaller city in the midwest. No matter how long you look, you won't find a 20 year old house in perfect condition in McLean for $700K.
As you have already discovered, the house that seems too good to be true is just that.

And as for realtors, if you have approached them with the same attitude you've displayed here, it's no wonder that you haven't found anyone willing to work with you. Why should they waste their time and money on a couple looking for something that just doesn't exist?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
WHen I was in my 20s and early 30s I often thought about leaving the area for the same exact reasons that you have been describing (doglover). We ended up settling here for the following reasons: great schools, good climate for east coast, easy access to rec activities, but most importantly, lots and lots of great jobs. Particularly in our fields, we will probably never have to worry about sticking with a job we hate because there is nothing else in the area that is comparable...or for settling for less pay or benefits...or a less than flexible employer. Once you are established in a career here in DC you have options, lots and lots of options. And that makes me be able to sleep at night - and oh yea, it pays the big mortgage pretty easily. We considered the Raleigh area at one point then changed our mind after reading on sites like this and talking to people down there that jobs are just not that easy to come by - and they pay accordingly, because they can. Not the case in the DC area.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
WHen I was in my 20s and early 30s I often thought about leaving the area for the same exact reasons that you have been describing (doglover). We ended up settling here for the following reasons: great schools, good climate for east coast, easy access to rec activities, but most importantly, lots and lots of great jobs. Particularly in our fields, we will probably never have to worry about sticking with a job we hate because there is nothing else in the area that is comparable...or for settling for less pay or benefits...or a less than flexible employer. Once you are established in a career here in DC you have options, lots and lots of options. And that makes me be able to sleep at night - and oh yea, it pays the big mortgage pretty easily. We considered the Raleigh area at one point then changed our mind after reading on sites like this and talking to people down there that jobs are just not that easy to come by - and they pay accordingly, because they can. Not the case in the DC area.
I completely understand what you're saying. But for those of you who decided to settle here for some or most of the above reasons: are you happy with your house? Or do you feel like you had to settle for a crapshack? Do you feel resentful that you shell out upwards of $3 K a month for a crapshack? Does your house feel like a tranquil retreat at the end of a busy day, or do you come home with another house crammed in a few feet away, a house that is in major need of updating, a tiny yard, etc. Or for some people is a nice house just not important to them? I'd love to hear more about people's thoughts on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia