Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:48 PM

672 posts, read 5,830,429 times

Advertisements

So today my hubby and I went to open houses in McLean. We saw about 5 houses. The first three were absolutely gorgeous, and exactly what we're looking for. They were completely renovated on the inside, they were mainly colonials but had nice, open floor plans, and beautiful yards. Unfortunately these houses were 1.3-1.5 million.

Then we went to the area of McLean that has more reasonably priced houses, the types of neighborhoods we can afford. We looked at two houses. The first was about $745,000 and the second was $649,000. Both were dumps. The first house was a split foyer that had a very nice yard and a completely redone kitchen. But we didn't like the split foyer concept, and it had very old and cruddy hardwood floors, weird office type carpeting on the lower level, and the walls were so cheap they looked like the cheapest dry wall I'd ever seen. The house was laid out in a very odd way, and the rooms were tiny.

The second house for $649,000 was a rambler that was absolutely tiny. Two bedrooms, a nasty kitchen and a tiny living and dining room. That was it. It was so small and poorly maintained I could not believe the asking price.

Hubby and I came away from our day of open houses very discouraged. It also solidified our decision to leave DC. We decided we really want the type of houses that are in the 1.3-1.5 million range here--but are in the $300-$400 range in the midwest. So we've decided to head to the midwest, where we can find our dream home for a reasonable price instead of settling for these poorly maintained houses that are incredibly overpriced for what you get.

The sad thing is that hubby will have to leave a job that he loves and that is a really good job, but we decided that besides McLean we really don't like any of the other areas in NoVa that are within a 30-minute commute of downtown DC well enough to buy a house there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,236,072 times
Northern Virginia and the DC metro isn't for everybody, especially if you want to buy a house on a "typical" middle-class income. As I said before, many of us aren't thrilled about that fact but those who choose to stay learn to adjust.

Best of luck to you both on your search in the Midwest.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Northern Virginia and the DC metro isn't for everybody, especially if you want to buy a house on a "typical" middle-class income. As I said before, many of us aren't thrilled about that fact but those who choose to stay learn to adjust.
Why do people stay here? We kept wondering that today. I can understand if your job is unique to DC, but if not, why would anyone stay here if they want to buy a house?

Old 09-14-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
Why do people stay here? We kept wondering that today. I can understand if your job is unique to DC, but if not, why would anyone stay here if they want to buy a house?
There are actually a lot of well-compensated people here who set the market. Others either buy a house that is convenient if smaller or imperfect... or they "drive until they qualify" and endure a long commute for their ideal home. NOVA doesn't have the market cornered on that phenomenon... but we're certainly giving places like metro NYC, Boston, Chicagoland and coastal California a run for their money.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-14-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: clarifying a point

Old 09-14-2008, 06:30 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,624,003 times
Quote:
Because it is a very nice place to live. I don't understand your last comment. People buy houses all the time. If your husband has a job he loves, find a house that will work for you. Everyone has to make compromises on a house, whether it's $100k or $1 million. I think you're really stuck on that houses are cheaper elsewhere. True, but this is DC and there are some really well paid people here.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Because it is a very nice place to live. I don't understand your last comment. People buy houses all the time. If your husband has a job he loves, find a house that will work for you. Everyone has to make compromises on a house, whether it's $100k or $1 million. I think you're really stuck on that houses are cheaper elsewhere. True, but this is DC and there are some really well paid people here.
I love DC, don't get me wrong. I've lived all over and it's by far my favorite city. But it would really bother me to buy one of these crapshacks and pay $600-$700 K for it knowing it needs a ton of work, is small, and isn't very nice. It's one thing to pay that kind of money for a really nice house, but these houses we're seeing are depressing. To us, it makes more sense to move to a city with a lower cost of living (like Milwaukee), buy a gorgeous house for $300-$400 K (the kind of houses that are 1.5 million here), and use all the extra money we're saving on the mortgage to have a better quality of life (i.e. nicer vacations, etc.) I know it's a nice place to live, but there are other nice places to live and you can have a better quality of life elsewhere, if you're not blowing most of your take home pay on a huge mortgage. At least that's just our opinion.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I love DC, don't get me wrong. I've lived all over and it's by far my favorite city. But it would really bother me to buy one of these crapshacks and pay $600-$700 K for it knowing it needs a ton of work, is small, and isn't very nice. It's one thing to pay that kind of money for a really nice house, but these houses we're seeing are depressing. To us, it makes more sense to move to a city with a lower cost of living (like Milwaukee), buy a gorgeous house for $300-$400 K (the kind of houses that are 1.5 million here), and use all the extra money we're saving on the mortgage to have a better quality of life (i.e. nicer vacations, etc.) I know it's a nice place to live, but there are other nice places to live and you can have a better quality of life elsewhere, if you're not blowing most of your take home pay on a huge mortgage. At least that's just our opinion.
I've visited Milwaukee and it's a great city. However, I'm sure you realize how the job market, climate and other factors allow Milwaukee to be relatively affordable compared to being near the Nation's Capital. Fortunately, it appears that your husband's skills are in demand in many places; that should definitely increase your chances for a great quality of life.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:55 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,371,882 times
Quote:
Not all of us have to live in McLean.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:59 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,371,882 times
Quote:
To us, it makes more sense to move to a city with a lower cost of living (like Milwaukee), buy a gorgeous house for $300-$400 K (the kind of houses that are 1.5 million here), and use all the extra money we're saving on the mortgage to have a better quality of life (i.e. nicer vacations, etc.) I know it's a nice place to live, but there are other nice places to live and you can have a better quality of life elsewhere, if you're not blowing most of your take home pay on a huge mortgage. At least that's just our opinion.
When you move, will your salary remain similar to what it is now? If I moved to an area like Milwaukee, I would probably make 1/2 what I make now. So it's all relative.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM

15,178 posts, read 27,950,779 times
I'm sorry - but that term crapshack just REALLY bothers me - I really don't believe that a "dump" would be listed at the prices you are quoting - do you have a realistic idea of what homes look like and a vision of what you can make them? It amazes me what some people think they NEED to live in - do we need vaulted ceilings? NO - you might like them but they aren't a necessity. Necessities are: enough bedrooms to house your family, a workable kitchen and at least 1-1/2-2 bathrooms (the old days they didn't have any or had at the most one).

I wish you well in your move - I don't think you honestly ever wanted to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia