Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:22 AM

307 posts, read 715,772 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, last spring I decided to move with my boyfriend to Charlotte for a chance to explore something different. Having grown up in northern virginia and spent my whole life here I really wanted to try something else. My boyfriend and I are planning to get engaged and he had been trying to convince me to move to his hometown of Charlotte for a couple of years.

Well we have been here only about six months and I think we are both ready to go back. I am so torn, the main things I am homesick for are my friends and family but I realize these are really important things. One reason we moved was for the lower cost of living and more laid back lifestyle but I am not sure that matters anymore if I am miserable. We both left gov contracting jobs and found great ones down here making almost as much as we were there. We both work from home and I am thinking if I could move back to nova with my current job but not have to deal with the commute and rat race I might be very happy.

Has anyone else had this happen? I may still be adjusting to life down here so we are not making any rush decisions. Do you all think I am crazy to want to move back? I see there are a lot of people that hate nova and the dc area but I really miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 AM

116 posts, read 428,182 times
I think this happens a lot. My friend and I talked for years about moving away, and she finally did. She moved to Nashville, TN for similar reasons, now every time I talk to her on the phone, she is talking about moving back. I have been thinking of moving to Greenville, SC, but I am hesitating because I'm afraid there are some things about the area that I'll miss.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 AM
GMU

56 posts, read 553,022 times
JLK, I can totally feel your pain. You can't put a price on good friends, and more importantly...family.
We, too, moved from NoVA down south (Florida), but not by choice but because we had to for a few years for the job. Sounds like you don't have kids yet, but once you do have small children, being away from family, grandparents, etc is that much more difficult. We recently got back to the area and it has been wonderful being back "home". Sure, you don't have family/friend get-togethers every weekend, but just knowing that you are close to people you love is a tremendous blessing.

Maybe give it a little more time, but in the end you have to do what feels "right". Good luck!!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM

367 posts, read 1,286,113 times
JLK706, I have a friend that went through the same thing. He grew up in NoVa from about age 12 and moved to Las Vegas at age 29. Prior to his move to Vegas he was bashing the hell out of NoVa and DC. Everything from how the weather sucks, to the people, to the different areas, and so on.

Anyway, after moving to Vegas and living there for six months he couldn't stand living there anymore. He started to look elsewhere to live. He liked some parts Southern California, but the parts of it he liked, there was no way for him to afford it. So, he moved to Phoenix. He lived in Phoenix for another 6 months and he was ready to move again. This time, he made the decision to move back to NoVa.

Friends and Family had a lot to do with his decision to move back to NoVa. He also realized the things that he took for granted in Nova and DC. He now believes DC and its surroundings is the nicest area in the country. Not sure how long this new belief will last for him, but I have to agree that the DC/NoVa/Md area is a really nice place to live.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post
Hi everyone, last spring I decided to move with my boyfriend to Charlotte for a chance to explore something different. Having grown up in northern virginia and spent my whole life here I really wanted to try something else. My boyfriend and I are planning to get engaged and he had been trying to convince me to move to his hometown of Charlotte for a couple of years.

Well we have been here only about six months and I think we are both ready to go back. I am so torn, the main things I am homesick for are my friends and family but I realize these are really important things. One reason we moved was for the lower cost of living and more laid back lifestyle but I am not sure that matters anymore if I am miserable. We both left gov contracting jobs and found great ones down here making almost as much as we were there. We both work from home and I am thinking if I could move back to nova with my current job but not have to deal with the commute and rat race I might be very happy.

Has anyone else had this happen? I may still be adjusting to life down here so we are not making any rush decisions. Do you all think I am crazy to want to move back? I see there are a lot of people that hate nova and the dc area but I really miss it.
Hi, I am a native Nova person too and moved here to Tampa in Dec 07. I would not say I am homesick, but sometimes I miss silly things like MOM's Organic Grocery and Trader Joes, or the River in Old Town. I lived there all my life too and I will always love my home. I moved too, for lower rents and that is the best thing about it here. I think it is getting so bad in Nova that soon there will be no affordable housing. Already there is not any. I lived in a dump for 1100 plus utilities. I also wanted a slower pace and less stress. I still miss it too, but not too much. It is natural though and you have to just know that. I even get sad about walking down the treelined streets up there and get mad about the no sidewalk thing they have here. It does not mean anything really and you have to take time to get used to a place. When I got here, I was impatient too and thought oh, it will be so easy to deal with! Not Good luck.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,498,243 times
Hi there,

DH and I moved to Charlotte from Alexandria, so we can identify with your situation. However, we're finding that we really like Charlotte and have found plenty to keep us busy. Yes, we miss things about the DC Area, but have embraced our new city and feel energized by all there is to explore.

You can always go back for a "DC Fix" if you need to. Tip - fly into BWI and save some $$$. I had to fly up for a meeting in Arlington for work... flights into Reagan and Dulles were in the $700 range for coach, yet I flew into BWI for $225.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times
One thing I have realized in life is that there is nothing more important than family - but you they are still within driving distance, right?
But - I advise you to give it at least 2 years - that is how long it has taken me to get used to NOVA.
I kinda think of that line from a song "a little voice inside my head said - dont look back - you can never go back" -

Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLK706 View Post

Six months? C'mon at least i gave Northern VA two years before i formed my negative opinion.

Seriously, are you just working and eating in Charlotte? Of course you'll get bored if that is all you are doing down there. I implore you to get out and experience Charlotte. Nascar, NFL, clubs, college sports, churches you have many options to have more fun in your life. Try to talk your neighbors, heck you are in the TRUE South you're likely to find at least one or two friendly folks. As much as i HATE Northern VA, i've gotten out and experienced the better things here. Glory Days in Lorton (great TV and wings for sunday football), my church, Five Guys, Potomac Mills.

I'm not going to lie i get a little homesick for my hometown Hampton, VA. But as much as I miss Hampton i dont regret leaving. It was time for me to move on and I accepted it. In my view, you did the right thing and moved on. If you dont listen to anything else i say, give Charlotte more time it's a great city.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:50 AM

714 posts, read 2,307,724 times
I moved from Reston down to Charlotte 4 years ago. After 6 months, I was miserable too, terribly homesick for my favorite restaurants, concert and club venues, and museums. It's taken awhile, but I'm glad we made the move. At 6 months, feeling homesick is natural and you probably would feel that way no matter where you moved.

That being said, i like to lurk in this forum because I can read about my old stomping grounds.

BTW, two things that help ease my homesickness: Trips to the new Trader Joe's off Rae Road and going to any Five Guys Burgers & Fries where they have the Washingtonian and Washington Post reviews on their walls.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 PM

26 posts, read 98,136 times
Man! I thought I was the only one. I moved from DC to Atlanta for my sig other. I really hate Atlanta... (not everyone would think it's miserable, but for someone who likes things with character, good nightlife, public transportation, and things to do... then it's far from ideal). So we are going to move back to DC next year, and I am pretty much counting the days. I am satisfied I made the sacrifice to move, because sometimes you have to do that for the sake of soulmate, but I can't wait to move back. (I've also noticed that most people who leave DC end up moving back eventually... the positives far outweigh the negatives)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia