Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:25 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

I am so tired of the hazy hot and humid weather found in Northern Va. That is the forecast for the next four months. The sky is rarely blue but instead a grayish white. The pollution is terrible and the air stagnant. I get tired of the constant haze in the air all the time. It makes things in the distance look dirty and ugly.

Is there anyplace worse than the DC area for hazy hot and humid weather in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 05:58 PM

261 posts, read 1,666,659 times
DC was built on swampland (parts of it anyway), so it comes with the territory. You can always move. It's only the first week in June and you already can't stand it...

Anywhere on the east coast from Connecticut on south is like this during the summer.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:11 PM

50 posts, read 213,260 times
We were just in DC for a wedding last week. Our home is near Yorktown, VA. We enjoyed the excitement of the big city, but we definitely noticed the grayish (not cloudy) skies and humidity. Glad I live further south. Just spent the entire day on a local river (skiing, tubing, sunning, and sightseeing),and the skies were a gorgeous blue all day! Nothing you can do about the humidity around Va. It comes with the territory. You could stay inside I guess, but Virginia is way to much fun for outdoorsman to stay inside.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,353 times
The sky is actually blue a lot in the summer. Yes, it's hot and humid, but so is most of the eastern seaboard. Generally though, it's not as humid as farther south is. Did you know higher humidity actually inhibits the temp. You won't find 100 degree weather with high humidity. If you notice, Florida is very humid, but rarely gets much over 90. In the desert sw (Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico) where it's in the 100's a lot in the summer, the humidity is extremely low. My sister lives in Yorktown and it gets hot and humid there too, just like here.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,713 times
ummm... L.A.

The pollution in Northern VA isn't as bad as a lot of other major cities. (I've been doing ambient air quality monitoring in NoVa for the past 2 years) The last 2 years have been especially good as far as air quality.

Here is the DEQ's website for ozone levels, it is updated hourly, and you can find a site near you to check the current levels outside.

Virginia DEQ - Air Quality Information

Old 06-02-2007, 07:28 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Is there any place worse than the DC area for hazy, hot and humid weather? Yes, in fact, the further south on the Atlantic coast you go, the hotter and more humid it gets during the summer. Funny how that works.

You really want to also look at the dew point to measure "comfort level" because the relative humidity doesn't educate you much on which areas "feel" humid. And in any event, as others have said, D.C. isn't any worse than most other coastal areas on the East side of the U.S.A.

Personally, over in my neck of the woods, I find the ever changing humidity in the air to add beauty to my surroundings.

For example, my webcam archive image this morning at 6:30am:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/cc/2007-06-02/2007-06-02%2006-15-01.jpg (broken link)

A week ago, at around the same time:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/cc/2007-05-25/2007-05-25%2007-23-01.jpg (broken link)

This evening shortly before sunset:

http://extranet.digitalspinner.com:8180/cc/2007-06-02/2007-06-02%2019-57-01.jpg (broken link)

Change is good It makes life more interesting.

Sean

Old 06-02-2007, 09:02 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Is there anyplace worse than the DC area for hazy hot and humid weather in the summer?
...you don't get around much do you? Ever heard of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, ...Florida? Arizona, Texas, Mississippi? LA, New Mexico, Oklahoma?

I've noticed you complain a lot about NoVA in previous posts. With how unhappy you seem, I'd suggest moving up north or to some place that isn't as annoying, drab, humid, and diverse as DC.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:46 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Ha, there are lots of places that are much more hot & humid than DC. I've lived all over the US and abroad. This is nothing I tell you! I tend to think I'm hot natured and I was still wearing jeans until recently during the day. I'm sure it gets hotter here obviously but the time it is super hot and humid is a much shorter time frame than say Florida.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:58 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
Default Many places are as humid, but not as HAZY and polluted as the DC area

Yes, there are many hot humid places in the summer all over the country but I doubt many places have as many days with that grayish white sky all summer. In reality the sky is rarely blue here, the haze covers it up and is milky.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Yes, there are many hot humid places in the summer all over the country but I doubt many places have as many days with that grayish white sky all summer. In reality the sky is rarely blue here, the haze covers it up and is milky.

Gee, I guess that could also depend on whether you look at the glass as half full or half empty. It's sunny and blue around here quite a bit. You would be wrong that there aren't any places as "grayish white" and much, much worse than here. Try New York in the summer! Philly, Chicago, etc. There are plenty. It's called climate and weather. Try it without A/C. Is it San Diego? No, but as another poster said, it's not LA either. Where exactly is this suppposed perfect place that a few posters seem to think exists? This spring has been very nice. We've had gorgeous, low humidity days with few severe storms, comfortable temps and blue skies. There are a few posters who spend all their time griping and complaining which I personally think is done because they are bored, lonely, or like to start something. If they were really that unhappy with their lives, that would be so extremely pathetic and they really do need a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia