Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,722 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently on a breaking point. I am nearly 30 with only 27 college credits, no current job/experience due to staying home with the kids. So- I figure I need to do something fast. I was going back to college to finish business administration but realized "hey, we need more income AND I am just tired on not having a career!"- anyhow, the light bulb went off in my head. All this time (last 7 years) we have lived overseas- the chances of working or school were minimal- with complicated pregnancies, I tried to finish a class at a time, hence the 27 credits. So here I am, back in the states with out anything but just those darn credits. I look to my right and see my husband freaking out silently about the economy and struggling job market. All this I keep in side of me until I finally just explode into tears and just misery with full blown headaches. SO now what...? Trade school. Anyhow- here I am... would like to know if any one out there recommends a good school. I live in manassas-fredericksburg area and would need something in between. In addition, what is the typical salary for medical assistant and Radiology tech? I have done research but there is so little online I'd rather ask those who work in the fields. Please help!!! I am really struggling with this one. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,804 times
I can understand being out of the job market while being overseas. Did that for 6 years. And the guy on the right freaking about the economy...mine isn't so quiet, I need to tear him away from CNBC..4 hours a night is too much! But I digress...have you considered temping, you obviously have some computer skills, you can do quite well in this area as a admin temp. It would get you money quick and you can somewhat pick and choose the type of place. Alot of defense contractors use temps, and they tend to love military spouses as the lingo is already there. My admin can't string two sentences together, and everyday is new day for her, I swear she makes about $16 an hour.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM

148 posts, read 630,024 times
NVCC has a School of Diagnostic Imaging and you may want to check them out.

NVCC Radiography Program FAQs! (http://www.nvcc.edu/home/rkeith/FAQs.htm - broken link)

Anything in a medical related field will have more demand and better pay than an admin temp job anywhere.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:42 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,731,804 times
Sure the radiology would pay better in the long run, but if the goal is to make money now, then why not temp while getting the prerequsite out of the way...there are quite a few of them almost a years worth before you can even start the program which is 2 years, paying money to go to school while earning nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia