Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM

71 posts, read 337,261 times

Advertisements

I'm a graphic designer and I currently live in Philadelphia and hate it. I'm originally from the Hampton Roads VA area, and my boyfriend grew up in Sterling (Loudoun County). We moved to Philly after we both graduated from college, and the reasons we moved here aren't really a factor anymore, so we want to relocate.

My boyfriend wants to work in sales, and I am a graphic designer. From what I remember, I think Northern VA would have a lot to offer us in the job market, but I could be wrong, especially with our sinking economy and high unemployment rates.

Does anyone have any info they could give me about the job market out there for both of us? Also, how high is rent out there for 1-2 bedroom apts? We are paying $1050 a month here for a studio (utilities are covered though), and I'm really hoping it's a little bit cheaper out there, but seeing that it is really up and coming, I could be wrong.

Thanks for any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
One place to look for graphic design jobs is craigs list. In general, you are probably going to have a tough time finding a job like that right now.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
As a former Philadelphian myself, I have respect albeit concern for your decision to leave. Nonetheless...

$1050 will get you a low end 1B apts in most of Northern Virginia. Studios seem to be a rare find, in my experience. NOVA is the job hub of the DC metro so demand for housing is high. You will definitely see a moderate standard of living adjustment from Philly.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As a former Philadelphian myself, I have respect albeit concern for your decision to leave. Nonetheless...

$1050 will get you a low end 1B apts in most of Northern Virginia. Studios seem to be a rare find, in my experience. NOVA is the job hub of the DC metro so demand for housing is high. You will definitely see a moderate standard of living adjustment from Philly.
Thanks! I really would like to have a 1-2 bedroom apt, the studio is so cramped but all we could afford in Philly. I looked at apts in Woodbridge and noticed the rent was pretty reasonable out there. Is there any reason I should be worried about that area? Is it close by to reasonable jobs? I'm starting to realize that I'm probably going to pick up a non-graphic design job since they seem so scarce lately. I just don't know what else I can do with my degree besides that or retail??

Old 09-24-2008, 05:56 PM

21 posts, read 73,040 times
Here is a link to the graphic designs jobs on Craigs List:

northern virginia art/media/design jobs classifieds - craigslist

Woodbridge is generally fine, but you may want to find a job first before you decide where you choose to live as traffic is rough from woodbridge.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:25 PM

20 posts, read 84,399 times
Default Hmmm....

Woodbidge is shady. I don't like it very much...It's an acquired taste with some questionable areas.

We live in Reston. It's nice...but, overpriced. Herndon is a nice medium and also parts of Fairfax.
Creative work is slow everywhere right now with the economy.
I'm a graphic designer and when we first moved up here last year, it took me over 3 months to find work. There are always in-house creative positions to be had as well as freelance opportunities...The pay might not be as great as up north.

I am making around 50k working for a bank in their creative department...luckily, my husband is an engineer and we don't rely on my salary as much.

Job security up here would most likely equal obtaining a security clearance type of position with a government contractor or the like. That's what there is an abundance of here. If you can get a company to sponsor your clearance...you guys might be fine. The pay is going to be about 25% more for these types of positions and they are always in demand.

I would look at spending 1400 month for a 2bd just about anywhere nice.

Good Luck...

Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 AM

46 posts, read 173,123 times
My son is a graphic designer for a company in DC. It is called The Advisory Board. Contact them. He says they are always hiring.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Mom View Post
My son is a graphic designer for a company in DC. It is called The Advisory Board. Contact them. He says they are always hiring.
Rep points for you! A helpful tip like that is the kind of thing I LOVE to read on this forum.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Mom View Post
Thank you so much, If I do move out there I definitely will!!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimmyT View Post
Woodbidge is shady. I don't like it very much...It's an acquired taste with some questionable areas.

We live in Reston. It's nice...but, overpriced. Herndon is a nice medium and also parts of Fairfax.
Creative work is slow everywhere right now with the economy.
I'm a graphic designer and when we first moved up here last year, it took me over 3 months to find work. There are always in-house creative positions to be had as well as freelance opportunities...The pay might not be as great as up north.

I am making around 50k working for a bank in their creative department...luckily, my husband is an engineer and we don't rely on my salary as much.

Job security up here would most likely equal obtaining a security clearance type of position with a government contractor or the like. That's what there is an abundance of here. If you can get a company to sponsor your clearance...you guys might be fine. The pay is going to be about 25% more for these types of positions and they are always in demand.

I would look at spending 1400 month for a 2bd just about anywhere nice.

Good Luck...

Thank you, you've also been a big help. Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia