Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 11,423 times

Advertisements

Seems like the only recommendation is the Reston Town Center. Is there anything inbetween that has young people and night scene? Falls Church? Vienna? anytthiinnnggg? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
No.

Just kidding--sorry.

If Arlington ain't your scene, then I'd suggest DC--DuPont or U Street.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 11,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
No.

Just kidding--sorry.

If Arlington ain't your scene, then I'd suggest DC--DuPont or U Street.
darn okay. I like Arlington, but its just slightly out of my range in terms of affordability. I'm still early in my career but I'll get there!

So anything west of Arlington, I'm just kinda outta luck then?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romprompromp View Post
darn okay. I like Arlington, but its just slightly out of my range in terms of affordability. I'm still early in my career but I'll get there!

So anything west of Arlington, I'm just kinda outta luck then?
It's been a while since I've been in your shoes, but I'm 99% sure that what you're looking for isn't available west of Arlington, except perhaps for Reston.

Then again, if you live somewhere quiet, boring, and cheap, at least you'll have the money to actually go out and have fun.

BTW, you might be able to find affordable apartments on the west end of Columbia Pike (OK, so that's Falls Church) and on Lee Highway, especially west of Glebe.

BTW2: Your screen name reminds me of that Flaming Lips song "Feeling Yourself Disintegrate." Listen to the first 5 seconds of the album (not live) version, and you'll hear what I mean.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Actually, there are young people out having a good time all over the place. The Ballston Corridor gets played up because the percentages there are higher to much higher, but it isn't like every kind-of-edgy 20-something is crammed in there somehow. Falls Church has a nicely walkable downtown, lots of little coffee shops and such, plus the State Theater. Vienna has a not quite so walkable downtown, but along it are both the Vienna Inn and Jammin' Java. Fairfax Corner is on the east side of Fair Lakes and is basically an outdoor mall with apartments all around it. There are four major restaurants with very busy bars. There are tons of young people. There's even a Wegman's nearby. So, it isn't all Ballston and Reston at all. Those are just a couple of the headline acts that are always going to be mentioned first.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Falls Church has the State Theater and some cool little restaurants and bars. I've heard there are a good number of young people out near the Government Center (Fair Lakes). Reston Town Center draws a fairly good crowd of young people.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 AM

221 posts, read 438,521 times
I highly recommend not living in Reston. Go there on a Friday night and check it out. It's highly isolated from a lot of things. Going to DC anytime will be a long drive and complete pain. Reston is still very much a starter family location. I'd keep searching in Arlington or get a roommate. Even living in Falls Church you feel kind of isolated, but Arlington is like 5min away. Not to mention there are some nice bars in Falls Church - Mad Fox, Dogwood Tavern and that Irish place.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM

90 posts, read 184,899 times
What about South Arlington or Alexandria? At least you'll be near DC and hopefully metro accessible.

Also, can you get a roommate? This will open up a lot more options in your budget.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownorbust View Post
What about South Arlington or Alexandria? At least you'll be near DC and hopefully metro accessible.

Also, can you get a roommate? This will open up a lot more options in your budget.
Thats how I feel. If it is just you by yourself you can do one of the following suggestions (more than one to be very cheap) to save money

1. Lower your standards - Regardless of the "keeping up with the Joneses" effect, you do not need a luxury apartment. 95% of Northern Virginia is safe regardless of what anyone says (Arlington had zero murders in 2011...ze-ro)

2. Get a roommate - I would estimate at least a 30% drop in rent per roommate

3. Move away from the metro - Get used to taking the busses. They are pretty good during rush hour. Living further out would require a car anyway

4. Consider DC - the average income is lower and there is housing to accommodate people who make less. Basement apartments and studios everywhere but be more careful of dangerous neighborhoods. All that said, DC is more fun for a young professional.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,945 times
The fair oaks mall area has a little area with bar restaurants, movies, etc. Shirlington Village in Southern Arlington is similar. There are also apartment complexes along columbia pike is South Arlington that are affordable and 10 mins from Clarendon. If you have a car you can be in DC or to a metro in 15 mins from almost anywhere in NOVA fri/sat nights.

The orange line corridor as a whole is overrated and overpriced especially if you aren't taking the metro to work every day. You aren't missing anything by not living there except you have more money in your pocket every month. There are young people everywhere in NOVA - lots of people don't want to pay $1800+ for a 1 br apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia