Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 AM

21 posts, read 87,499 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are building a home in New Bristow Village. We visited the neighborhood a few times and spoke to various homeowners. Our initial impression was positive. We met many different people (white, hispanic ....) I've noticed there has been alot of negative entries regarding NBV and the elem. school (Ellis). I do not mind diversity, in fact I rather enjoy meeting people from different backrounds, etc.. . I would prefer a nice neighborhood where there are NOT multiple cars parking everywhere (did not see too much on our visits), multiple families living in one home and a safe enviroment for my children when they are in school. Not sure if there is anyone out there who has some positive experiences either NBV or Ellis elementary school. Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 21,804 times
Hey,
My wife and I just purchased a house in New Bristow Village about three weeks ago. It's scheduled to be completed sometime in March/April. We had a similar experience that you had when we drove around the neighborhood. We spoke with one couple in the subdivision that said the main complaint about sending their kids to Ellis was not the school itself but the idea that there are literally about 3 or 4 elementary schools closer to NBV than Ellis. Also, it will be interesting to see if the subdivision is redistricted into the new elementary school slated to be completed in 2011. I've got a few years to go since I have a two year old and another on the way.
Otherwise, the area seemed really nice. We stopped by the pizza place by the Harris Teeter grocery store to celebrate our new home purchase and found the place packed. Kids seemed to be everywhere. Can't wait to move in March...

Old 10-16-2008, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Our house is scheduled also for March completion. We will most likely move in around June. We have 3 children (11,7, and 5) so we'd like them to finish out the year. The elementary used to be Nokesville Elem, but the school is so small it couldn't handle the influx of new students. I would think NBV would go into the new school due to the boundaries. Congratulations on your baby that is due! In addition, we had the same experience at Tony's Pizza. It's always packed, and the pizza is terrific!! Hope to see you around the neighborhood.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,272 times
Default New Bristow Village & Schools

My family and I have lived in NBV for 3 years (2 yrs renting & 1 owning). We live on a very nice street with excellent neighbors. Our children both attend Ellis (1st & 5th). The school is a wonderful facility only 5 years old w/ approx 650 students. Currently the 4th grade is in trailers, but I know many of the Prince William County Schools have trailers. The Ellis PTO is very active and coordinates many events for the school. The school is diverse but I see that as a good thing. The only complaint I have is that some years our kids have had great teachers and some years not. However, I don't think this is specific to Ellis but can happen at every school. I think you will find the staff to be very involved and excited about your children's education. This year they have started ~ 8 after school clubs which is a really nice to have. The school is only about 5 miles from the development and takes maybe 15 minutes to get there in traffic. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 PM

Thanks so much for the information, it is very much appreciated. Looking forward to moving in!!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 AM

93 posts, read 273,479 times
Default Ellis Elemtary

If you are speaking of Suella Ellis Elementary, then it has a very low score in terms of what the children score in the Standardized tests (see Schooldigger.com). I know scores are not everything but they seem well below average. In fact I would argue that the scores must be wrong, seeing as how the PWC schools are ranked top 50 in the state. These scores are something that perhaps the Principal can answer to, but I think any parent sending their child to an elementary school would be able to get answers to this.

I am moving to the area and I would avoid this school just based on that. I intend on speaking with the school district via email well before I arrive, just to get a handle on this data.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,411 times
Hi there,
Just wanted to add something. We too had heard the same info regarding Ellis and were disappointed as we did not realize that was where our children would be going to school. We moved in mid November. I have one child in the 4th grade. I registered him and attended the first day of school. I was invited by the teacher to sit in the class as long as I wanted on his first day. We stayed and I was more than pleased. Yes it was very multicultural but in a very positive. Manner. He has been attended for nearly three weeks and I have nothing but positive communication between myself , the teacher and the school. Do I wish he was attending closer to home, yes. Am I upset he is at Ellis not at all. Good luck. BTW where in Bristow Village will you be. I too have three children and they have yet to make any friends. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM

No friends yet? Are there alot of children in the development?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,309 times
I have 3 children and live in New Bristow Village. There are plenty of children living in the neighborhood. There are neighborhood bunco groups, game nights, movie nights, band nights, pizza nights. There is a neighborhood youth group. There are plenty of children of all ages here. On halloween the neighborhood literally looked like a Normon Rockwell painting with all the kids and parents out. We even have neighborhood happy hours and bbqs. As for the school issue. It is just an issue with the elementary school. Ellis is not the ideal school for our younger children to be attending. Many of us have applied for or transferred to closer schools. Right now the school board is stating that in two years when Kettle Run opens our neighborhood will re-district to Nokesville. Nokesville is an amazing school by the way. Any school is really what you and your children make of it. Getting the neighborhood redistricted is taking a lot of parental involvement. We have to actively and continuously stay on top of this. Keep in mind, a bad school in Prince William County is better than the best school in D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia