Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 10:12 PM

38 posts, read 228,700 times

Advertisements

What are the top elementary schools in South Riding, Chantilly and Reston?

Does anyone know much about the new community The Villages at South Riding, zip code 20152? Is this in a good area?

What are property taxes in VA? I know they are 1.1% of the home price in MD, but curious what they are in VA?

Thank you so very much for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I can only address the tax question.

Real estate tax is calculated by the "tax rate" per $100 of assessed value.

In Fairfax County, the tax rate is currently 92 cents per $100 of assessed value. Weird, huh?

The tax rate changes regularly and look for it to go (way) up soon in response to the falling assessments.

Here's a cool site where you can check assessments, etc.

Fairfax County

Old 10-18-2008, 09:55 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
All the public elementary schools in the areas you described should be excellent. The level of teaching will be comparable between all of them. Don't let test scores fool you, because you should only be concerned with your own child's test scores. Fairfax County schools are widely considered to be excellent, among the best in the nation, and all the schools in the county are fine. Loudoun ("South Riding" is there) is a runner-up.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:35 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Actually, you do need to be concerned about test scores. Low test scores generally means a school with a high population of needy students -- low-income, immigrant, or both. The focus at these schools will necessarily be on raising the scores and dealing with the many non-academic needs of the school population. "All of the schools in the county are fine" is a gross generalization, as some are considerably less "fine" than others. It pays to do some research on the schools before plunging into a home purchase.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,060 times
I found the rate of Brookfield Elementry School is 3 on greatschols.net. Is it that bad? I plan to move to Chantilly because of schools. Anyone can give me the right answer?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
You can look at each school, scores, demographics, etc at FCPS Home Page Redirect Page

Yes, a score of 3 is bad.

Be VERY careful in Reston, most of the schools there are not as good as other areas.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger01 View Post
Does anyone know much about the new community The Villages at South Riding, zip code 20152? Is this in a good area?
We live a couple of blocks over from The Villages - we're in the Amberlea townhomes at South Riding. It's a wonderful area for young families, albeit a little "sleepy" and far from any bustling activity. That being said, they are continuing to build up the area - East Gate Marketplace (heading east on Rt. 50) is in the works, and there are plans to develop the new Arcola Center at 50 & Loudoun County Parkway (although I don't know when that will actually happen). So stores/restaurants etc are being added slowly.

My husband and I are loving South Riding more and more. At first, we were disappointed we were so far from all the hustle and bustle of the city, but now that kids are in the works, I think we'll be grateful for the quiet. It's a great area for kids and families - quiet, safe, friendly, lots of other families, nice homes. If you have an elementary-aged kid, and are happy being in a relatively quiet area, you will like it very much!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,481 times
Oh, and if you're thinking about the Villages at South Riding, you need to look at Loudoun County schools, not Fairfax.

And Loudoun County real estate taxes are $1.245 per $100.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:25 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
I live near that section of South Riding. I always thought you do not have a choice which elementary school your kids attend. Your public school is determined by what street you live on. We have a brand new elementary school that just opened right across the street from Freedom High School.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM

132 posts, read 324,030 times
In Reston, Sunrise Valley Elementary is considered one of the best in Fairfax county. Some recent ranking has it #8 in the entire commonwealth. Hunter Woods elementary is a magnet school. Many parents want their kids to go there.

The tax rate of .92% is likely to go up to 1.04% for Fairfax county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia