Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:09 PM

16 posts, read 36,860 times

Advertisements

My husband, daughter and I will be moving from Seattle to NOVA in April, and we are looking at homes around $450,000. I have found so many beautiful, huge, new homes in Lorton, and was wondering why they are so much less expensive than say, Burke or Springfield. I've never been to Lorton but understand that it's farther outside the beltway. Is that why? My daughter will be entering Kindergarten next fall, and we'd like a good, safe school for her (of course). My husband will be communting to the Pentagon, but it looks like he could use the VRE. Not sure how long that would take him, though, so maybe we should look closer to his work?Thanks so much for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 PM

194 posts, read 590,319 times
^ You're correct. It's all location and development. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,330,801 times
because I-95 sucks! And the illegal immigrants occupied a bunch of home, and now left

Old 10-19-2008, 02:51 PM

17,399 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Lorton is right next to Prince William County which has experienced a sharp drop in home values due to foreclosures.

As mentioned before, I-95 is bad. 123 is no picnic either. Route 1 isn't good.

On the upside, Lorton homes do tend to be on the new side. Many already have upgrades like granite countertops and hardwood floors. But the lots on the homes do tend to be microscopic/teeny tiny.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:48 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,505,939 times
I have heard some of the schools in Lorton are good and some not-so-good.
Schools in Burke, town of Fairfax, and West Springfield have good reputations.

I think there might also be a sewage treatment plant in Lorton - but not sure.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
as all realtors will tell you...location location location.
Lorton is not in the prime commute area and yes I-95 is a nighmare

And schools, Burke and west springfiled have very good schools. Lortons are mixed as others have said some good, some not so good...you gotta do your research.

Also reputation... better reputation higher prices, Burke has a great rep for schools, community, low crime, commute distance etc...

it's the same with Springfiled...one town with 2 very different personalities. West side is nice with good schools etc... the eastern part, close to the mall...more crime etc...so cheaper houses.

Burke and springfiled, kingstowne etc.. give you VRE and Metro options for commute.

But I am really not that familiar with Lorton...so will have to rely on someone actually from there to give you more insight etc...

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:36 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
For much of this century, Lorton was the location of a massive prison complex first run by the federal government, then by the DC government. For a century, middle class families have avoided this area and development has been sparse until the facility closed in 2001.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,630 times
+ Juan to what slim said

The prison brought down the appeal of the Lorton area, but there are some excellent up to date middle and high schools now in the area. South County I believe?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM

16 posts, read 80,512 times
I have been renting in Lorton for the past two years, and love the commute here .. although it does depend on what time you have to leave the house (my work doesnt start until 10am usually, but I do travel to various offices all over NOVA, MD and DC) ..

as for looking for homes, yes there are some really great prices on the homes ,but the school system kinda sucks for those homes (from what research I've done, as I'm looking to buy a home right now as well). I would stay clear from any home SOUTH of Lorton Rd ... that feeds to the schools that have children from all the rental communities down here as well as the govt subsidized housing .. that's why there are soooo many homes still for sale with those addresses, and a lot less for anything located away from those schools. as well as the housing prices are probably 100K difference too!

Just check out the schools, that's all I can say!

Old 12-09-2008, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 30,386 times
Look in Oakton....great place...great schools...proximity to metro (1-2 miles) and tysons corner...and can get some townhome deals within your range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia