Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times

Advertisements

So....back to the OP's topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 AM

555 posts, read 2,702,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis16 View Post
Out of 4, 1 of them was from a year ago. I sense some faulty biased info. is at play.

I'm gonna have to call BS on the Special Forces, buddy. Good try, but I dont know what fairy tale you live in, but I'm guessing your lying big time.

The facts: you claim to be in the military for 5 years

SF training includes
-9 weeks of boot camp like everyone else
- 3 weeks of airborne
- 30 days of SO prep. course
- 24 days SF selection and assessment
then if you can endure all that qualification courses
- 13 weeks of individual skills
- 14 weeks of MOS training
- 10 or even more weeks of language training
- 3 to 4 weeks of collective training
-and SERE

Special Forces is a decade long investment, I highly doubt you were part of it. I know all of this because my dad is ex- military from Thailand and they have a special agreement in sending students first to VMI, Citadel, and other military institutions, and then have a special physical seminar at Bragg. So I have seen the time it takes to be an SF. Even more, please have the courage to give me your name so I can ask my dad to call up his friend who is a col. at the 7th special forces unit at fort bragg. I'm assuming you're just a pogue though.

Why would i possibly give the names of people I know who work for PWC? So you can call up your police friends and have them interrogated. I'm just gonna say that i know one who is younger below 23, and one who is from New York.

I'm in a co-op for the CIA, but the paperwork and insight they give students is minimal at best. That is why I made a thread to ask about potential jobs with my qualifications and language skill. But i do have my clearance and thats always a head start.

You are right, being in the military does give you a head start on the career in intel, but coming from a military family, I am inclined to resort to the army as my last resort.

Lastly, I would like to say I apologize if you truly were SF and not a pogue, and for the insightful and kind thoughts to think for myself.

-Cheers
"Security Forces", re-read my post.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigans Mum View Post
8:15pm
Last night while I was standing outside in our carport a car stopped on the street in front of my driveway. The driver proceeded to rev his tires on the spot , burning rubber and making smoke, and then slowly skidded up the street.

9pm
I stupidly decided to walk in his direction some time later and I found his car parked in front of a house with it's lights off. I walked up to the car and felt the back tires and shore enough the back tires were bold. So I took a picture of the license plate with my cellphone. Then I asked a girl that was getting out of her car nearby if she knew if the car in question had a reputation for "burning rubber" or speeding. She asked me why i wanted to know and I told her I was concerned for my young child's safety. Then three gays got out of a truck parked in front of her and started to listen in on our conversation. She told me that she thought I was mistaking the car in question with another persons car. Getting nervous I said thank you and went home.

The next day

7:22pm
Sometime from 5 till 7:22 someone stole our pirate flag (that was passed down to my husband from his grandfathers sailing heydays) from our home and knocked my child's stuffed animals, that I had drying on our railing, into the bushes below.

a/b 7:30pm
I called the police to make a stolen property report

a/b 8:00pm
I was standing outside to catch some air and wait for the officer when the same car from the night before stopped in front of our driveway and the guy driving yelled some slurred words to me. I for one took that as a threat as he sped away.

Later the officer showed up and I told him the whole story.

What do you think I should do? I am scared to leave home, afraid he will come back and rob us or vandalize our home. I am also afraid to be home alone with child, I don't want my baby to get hurt.
This is of course the original post. Somebody on this forum said this poor lady (who was a victim) "deserved" what she got. Somebody STOLE a family heirloom that is not replaceable, and yet she "deserved" it. Anyway, to say the least I disagree. This type of behavior is criminal and the police should be called. To the original poster, have the police come back out for the larceny aspect of this as well. Get a no trespassing order against the guy driving recklessly and yelling at you. If you let a bully beat you up they will continue to do that. I don't know why this younger generation thinks that you should just bend over and take it, but you shouldn't. Our country wasn't founded on that and good communities aren't built on that theory. If the same neighbor decided to start cursing at you or asking disorderly, get a warrant for his arrest with the magistrate (located at Cardinal DR/Rt.1). Citizens CAN get warrants that are not felonies. Let these people know you are not a victim. Either they act civil or go to jail, plain and simple.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:43 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Wow, what a thread.....As a PWC citizen for over 25 years, I will add my thoughts later.

The OP may have "knee-jerked" a bit soon, but her nosing around did serve a purpose. Hopefully, it will keep the crimes petty in nature. While I realize the flag is an heirloom, the act does lack violence. I fear how you react from here on out will set the pace for your peace of mind. These thugs have already proven they have zero respect or maturity, so keep that in mind. But, I do believe you have alerted them to the fact, someone is watching. And when it's known someone is watching, chances are future crimes will not be observable (by you).

I would keep an eye open in the stores for sales on disposable cameras. Put by windows you have a clear view and one that has easy access in the car. Some even have the telescopic view built in. Have the cameras ready to shoot. (I also carry one in my car for accidents). They already know you are watching, so you may as well document if something else happens. Chances are they are on more than one radar. Do they actually live in your neighborhood or do they just visit? Again, they have shown petty retaliation, so I would not let any pets (let alone children) outside, unsupervised. Keep personal possessions inside until this has blown over.

What is sick is these guys can harrass you and make your life miserable, but without a crime being committed or proof, there isn't much anyone can do. And it's a pretty lousy feeling too, especially if you don't feel safe. My money is on you will outlast them.....they'll get in trouble somewhere and move on.

As for PWC police, I have had nothing but good experiences with the police department and if anyone thinks we are in a crime-free area, they are dead wrong. I've lived in isolated areas (hahaha, what was once isolated) and now live in a blue collar townhouse community. In both areas, everyone just wants to do their job and come home and be left alone. Crimes exist in both areas. I think the townhouses feel it more only because of the concentration of the number of homes in one area.

It's typically the kids that create the problems, and unfortunately, kid status can last until the age of 30. I have raised two boys in PWC and can tell you drugs are rampant and a fact of life. (I can also attest, DARE does work, coming from a mom that partied in the 70's). When you consider the massive amount of square footage the police are responsible for, it's a wonder we aren't screaming for more bodies in law enforcement. Each high school alone has how many students? I can think of only a few times I did not feel safe and they were circumstances were of my own creation.

Back to the OP, be alert, don't take any unnecessary risks and keep notes, good notes, photos if you can get them. Don't temp them to mess with you either, such as leaving personal items out where they can mess with them.......

For the DHS wanna be.....I agree with the other poster.....no agency will take you on without the basic security clearances, the clearances that take a little over a year to process, require a sponsor and cost the employer around 10K - 20K. Then, you can be sponsored for a top security clearance and if you don't have a talent that is rare, something they can't get from their own pool in military intelligence, it's again, a very expensive proposition. I can't recall the last stat I read, but it was shocking how many top level security clearances were former military. But if you are an intelligence brat like me, you already know this. And you also realize you need to be very, very careful about what you post online, either w/ your real name or with your moniker. And being candid, t's your posts that make me believe you have yet to begin the process.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:21 PM

413 posts, read 1,165,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
"Security Forces", re-read my post.
Sorry for the mistake. Lo siento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
This is of course the original post. Somebody on this forum said this poor lady (who was a victim) "deserved" what she got. Somebody STOLE a family heirloom that is not replaceable, and yet she "deserved" it. Anyway, to say the least I disagree. This type of behavior is criminal and the police should be called. To the original poster, have the police come back out for the larceny aspect of this as well. Get a no trespassing order against the guy driving recklessly and yelling at you. If you let a bully beat you up they will continue to do that. I don't know why this younger generation thinks that you should just bend over and take it, but you shouldn't. Our country wasn't founded on that and good communities aren't built on that theory. If the same neighbor decided to start cursing at you or asking disorderly, get a warrant for his arrest with the magistrate (located at Cardinal DR/Rt.1). Citizens CAN get warrants that are not felonies. Let these people know you are not a victim. Either they act civil or go to jail, plain and simple.
You provide valid points but I would like to argue the case that the victim WILL be the most hated person on that street if she goes out of her way to make a case about it. She has already said that the burnout guy has become hostile, and the lady she asked was questionable, so one can only assume that she is minglin' in things she shouldn't be, especially with a warrant.

The worst and best case scenario if she did decide to act, go up directly to the person's house at hand, and speak with their parents.

Personally though, from a younger crowd's perspective, I would just let it slide unless something more "hostile" was to partake, not just a burnout from some kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Wow, what a thread.....As a PWC citizen for over 25 years, I will add my thoughts later.

The OP may have "knee-jerked" a bit soon, but her nosing around did serve a purpose. Hopefully, it will keep the crimes petty in nature. While I realize the flag is an heirloom, the act does lack violence. I fear how you react from here on out will set the pace for your peace of mind. These thugs have already proven they have zero respect or maturity, so keep that in mind. But, I do believe you have alerted them to the fact, someone is watching. And when it's known someone is watching, chances are future crimes will not be observable (by you).

I would keep an eye open in the stores for sales on disposable cameras. Put by windows you have a clear view and one that has easy access in the car. Some even have the telescopic view built in. Have the cameras ready to shoot. (I also carry one in my car for accidents). They already know you are watching, so you may as well document if something else happens. Chances are they are on more than one radar. Do they actually live in your neighborhood or do they just visit? Again, they have shown petty retaliation, so I would not let any pets (let alone children) outside, unsupervised. Keep personal possessions inside until this has blown over.

What is sick is these guys can harrass you and make your life miserable, but without a crime being committed or proof, there isn't much anyone can do. And it's a pretty lousy feeling too, especially if you don't feel safe. My money is on you will outlast them.....they'll get in trouble somewhere and move on.

As for PWC police, I have had nothing but good experiences with the police department and if anyone thinks we are in a crime-free area, they are dead wrong. I've lived in isolated areas (hahaha, what was once isolated) and now live in a blue collar townhouse community. In both areas, everyone just wants to do their job and come home and be left alone. Crimes exist in both areas. I think the townhouses feel it more only because of the concentration of the number of homes in one area.

It's typically the kids that create the problems, and unfortunately, kid status can last until the age of 30. I have raised two boys in PWC and can tell you drugs are rampant and a fact of life. (I can also attest, DARE does work, coming from a mom that partied in the 70's). When you consider the massive amount of square footage the police are responsible for, it's a wonder we aren't screaming for more bodies in law enforcement. Each high school alone has how many students? I can think of only a few times I did not feel safe and they were circumstances were of my own creation.

Back to the OP, be alert, don't take any unnecessary risks and keep notes, good notes, photos if you can get them. Don't temp them to mess with you either, such as leaving personal items out where they can mess with them.......

For the DHS wanna be.....I agree with the other poster.....no agency will take you on without the basic security clearances, the clearances that take a little over a year to process, require a sponsor and cost the employer around 10K - 20K. Then, you can be sponsored for a top security clearance and if you don't have a talent that is rare, something they can't get from their own pool in military intelligence, it's again, a very expensive proposition. I can't recall the last stat I read, but it was shocking how many top level security clearances were former military. But if you are an intelligence brat like me, you already know this. And you also realize you need to be very, very careful about what you post online, either w/ your real name or with your moniker. And being candid, t's your posts that make me believe you have yet to begin the process.
That's because the police know better than to pick on a "real adult." I've had friends being pulled over just because they drive "hoopdies" (crappy run-down cars) and after the cops check them for anything illegal, they tell them that it's cuz of their car, not something they did. This has happened twice to some friends. Never drive a Buick past '94.

DHS wannabee? haha good one. I already hold a basic clearance from my co-op with a govt. agency. It's just a fact these days that interning isn't enough, but you need alot more experience and to work sub-par jobs that are irrelevant to your "true calling" and a master's to make it into a highly sought after job you desire. Thanks for the heads up though.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 AM

If the guy is doing that type of stuff I am sure the majority of other neighbors are fed up as well. This type of behavior is not condoned in any community that I know of. The poster actually showed respect for going up to the problem instead of just cowering being the curtain and calling the police. It has nothing to do with age or anything else for that matter. You have to protect your children. The more calls to the police the better. All bigger departments are computerized now to include where most of the calls for service are coming from. If it is a problem area with a lot of calls then the police commanders direct their officers to patrol those areas more.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
*scratches head about this thread* I can't believe some of things said so far and I'm not about to quote each one. But basically my thought is if someone is doing something that is illegal no matter how insignificant you think it may be, I say kudos to the OP for standing up and saying something about it. If everyone takes on the "oh I'm scared, so I won't pursue the person or the matter" then that whole neighborhood is going down the tubes.

I lived for over five years next to the neighbors from hell in Albuquerque. Mommy bought her son and his girlfriend and their friends a house. So then it was at least four twenty something immature people living in there at all times. My laundry list of the illegal things they did would be a mile long. From blasting music and a tv at 2 am to leaving a barking dog outside all the time to racing up down the streets. Our houses were 10 feet apart btw. Their back yard was dead grass and a 8 foot pile of tumble weeds. They threw trash, cigarette butts and used oil on to our property. They simply had NO RESPECT for their neighbors. And we tried to talk to these kids, but it went thru one ear and out the other. We even tried talking to their mother. So it got to the point that we had to call the police on them numerous times. I'm not going to let a neighbor think it's ok to be doing heavy construction on their house in the middle of the night.

The kicker to it all... they eventually turned some neighbors on us through bribery! I had the neighbor across the street telling me how he didn't like the activities of the neighbors too blah blah until one day I just happened to look thru my window and see the bad neighbors giving/selling him pot! I think they eventually turned to selling drugs out of the house because we were seeing all kinds of cars coming and going day and night. I even had a 40+ year old neighbor yelling profanity at me because he was getting free beer from the bad neighbor. Beer he was stealing from work. I was home alone while hubby was off in Afghanistan and Iraq. And having the bad neighbor and his friends running over to my house to bang on my door and run off really sent me over the edge. Ehhh I could go on and on.

But my point is... there is no reason to take illegal activity from anyone. That's what laws are for right?? Would I call the police on those neighbors again? Most certainly. Too many neighbors were lax and didn't care what others did.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 PM

6 posts, read 23,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
But the guy is right. Hassling your neighbors is a foolish and dangerous thing to get into. And there are definite drawbacks to living in a "tight knit" neighborhood. Right now, you're getting into this kid's business, but tomorrow it might be someone else getting into your business.

If you're worried about people speeding on the street, try to figure out how to get speed bumps poured. That's about all you can do. If you start lodging anonymous complaints against the guy now that he knows you're out to hassle him, you're just going to make yourself into a target.

Hi MM,
I'm your neighbor and I agree. What's the expression about flies and honey vs vinegar...honestly the squealing tire thing is not criminal. I would not take that as a threat. Being friendly, open, and not easily insulted will endear you to your neighbors just as being paranoid and irritable will cause aggravation. (Not saying that you ARE- but you know the person with the reputation of being "grumpy" seems to attract hooligans.)

You could make a sign offering a reward for the return of your pirate flag "no questions asked." It may help...just a thought.

Real criminals seem to be much more direct...they want money, or they want to harm you. I was mugged once, only, walking very naively through a tough neighborhood in NYC- but I pray and have been protected many times.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I like the idea of starting up a Neighborhood Watch - we have one in our neighborhood and I dont think it is 50% - heck - you can have an unofficial watch of just yourself! This is why I have two very large dogs and protection in my home - I would never let someone intimidate me - once they know you are a pushover they will never stop harassing you. I would not actually go out and confront them but I would set up a camera on your property and maybe try to find out where these animals live and work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia