U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM

30 posts, read 76,657 times

Advertisements

8:15pm
Last night while I was standing outside in our carport a car stopped on the street in front of my driveway. The driver proceeded to rev his tires on the spot , burning rubber and making smoke, and then slowly skidded up the street.

9pm
I stupidly decided to walk in his direction some time later and I found his car parked in front of a house with it's lights off. I walked up to the car and felt the back tires and shore enough the back tires were bold. So I took a picture of the license plate with my cellphone. Then I asked a girl that was getting out of her car nearby if she knew if the car in question had a reputation for "burning rubber" or speeding. She asked me why i wanted to know and I told her I was concerned for my young child's safety. Then three gays got out of a truck parked in front of her and started to listen in on our conversation. She told me that she thought I was mistaking the car in question with another persons car. Getting nervous I said thank you and went home.

The next day

7:22pm
Sometime from 5 till 7:22 someone stole our pirate flag (that was passed down to my husband from his grandfathers sailing heydays) from our home and knocked my child's stuffed animals, that I had drying on our railing, into the bushes below.

a/b 7:30pm
I called the police to make a stolen property report

a/b 8:00pm
I was standing outside to catch some air and wait for the officer when the same car from the night before stopped in front of our driveway and the guy driving yelled some slurred words to me. I for one took that as a threat as he sped away.

Later the officer showed up and I told him the whole story.

What do you think I should do? I am scared to leave home, afraid he will come back and rob us or vandalize our home. I am also afraid to be home alone with child, I don't want my baby to get hurt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,205,821 times
In the first incident, he most likely was just showing off, and might not even have noticed you, if he was young(er) he was most likely not aware of anyone but himself. Not good on a street, but not much you can do about that.

After you "got in his business" he is now aware of you. Most likely won't do much unless he is really stupid. I would purchase an outdoor motion sensor light as well as discuss it with neighbors you know. But I would do that in a way that just asks something like "have you had things missing etc" not mention any names, or it might get back to him/them.

I would also watch your spelling three gays getting out of a car wouldn't scare many people. Knew what you meant, but you don't want to get flamed for that.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM

Thank you for your personal spell check. ^_^

I meant to say Three GUYS. not three gays

I am for guy rights.

I believe you are right on all counts. I should have left it alone. At least I should not have started asking questions. There are a few awful drivers that go up and down my street. Just two weeks ago a big monster truck wanna-be almost plowed threw a few kids walking across the street, thay were not even jaywalking. Also, last weekend a drunk driver hit a friend of mines car (he was parked on the side of the street like most people do)

Old 10-22-2008, 09:37 AM

65 posts, read 274,146 times
More likely than not, they will probably leave you alone, if you leave them alone. If you are really worried about something serious happening, I would install some type of video surveillance.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Thank you for the idea, Home Depot here we come.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM

834 posts, read 1,935,308 times
I would call the non-emergency police number everytime one of these incidents occurs. Report a reckless wannabe monster truck or reckless tire burner every time you see them. Will the police come in a hurry and arrest the fools? No, but if there are enough calls, police will increase patrols in a neighborhood and Johnny Hotrod will get nailed.

If you don't mind sharing, what neighborhood do you live in? I have good friends who live in a couple of the neighborhoods in 22191 and know they will also call the cops if they see something like this occuring.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:31 AM

I like your idea and that is something I have just started doing, a friend of mine was visiting last weekend and his car that was parked on the side of the street was hit by a drunk driver. I don't want to abuse the non-emergency police number but I do have it on my speed-dile.

I live close to Fetherstone Elementary School. It the "State Streets" area. Ane I thank you for your suggestion.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
j1n

1,240 posts, read 4,410,314 times
I would definitely leave it alone. Some people like to burn rubber. Pushing the issue, looking around someone's parked car, talking about the situation to neighbors that you don't know well, etc...all could escalate the situation.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 AM

Tis true, that was my big mistake. I feel like I just poked a sleeping animal and it is now chasing me down.
(I would never do that in real life)

Old 10-22-2008, 01:39 PM

116 posts, read 404,967 times
What about starting up a neighborhood watch program. It is your neighborhood, and you have a right to get into people's business a little bit when they are burning tire and disturbing the peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia