Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 AM

218 posts, read 547,983 times

Advertisements

I live in Southbridge which is about a 5 min drive from Quantico. There are plenty of homes under $300K. Depends on what you are looking for. Also majority homes have issues becuase alot of ppl here particpated in the "Buy and bail" meaning those homes that are foreclosed are due to ppl buying bigger homes because the market is good and then they couldnt sell thier home or find renters and therefore just left it.

But Princeton Woods, River Oaks (craftstar homes is still building back there), Presidential hill loop. Forest Park division, Talon, Brittany.

If you want Dm and I can give you more info.

As for school, Swann Creek is real good. What is the age of your children.

Also my oldest will be goign to middle school and I just found out I can choose the middle school I want her to go to. I just have to fill out the application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 02:15 AM

5 posts, read 19,534 times
Thanks so much HereinVa and American Arrogance. That is exactly the info I was hoping to get.
I asked my Hubby to take a drive tonight up to Bristow to see what he thought about the commute. After he returned home he called and said he would rather not have to drive that distance every day. I can understand that so I guess Bristow is off our list.

My daughter is 5, just started Kindergarten this year, so I am hoping to find a good fit for her in the school department.
What do you know about Triangle Elem. or Widewater Elem.? I think these are the two areas my husband is leaning.
I will take all the help I can get. Thanks again for the great information, I so appreciate it.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 AM

722 posts, read 1,927,198 times
Has he driven around Triangle much? There are some very nice, very beautiful homes in Triangle, and there are also some very dumpy ones. I'm not sure if any of the nicer homes are in your $300,000 price range

I drove thrrough the area a couple weeks ago, it looks like they are completely rebuilding Triangle elementary. Also, there a lot of private (religious) schools in that area, if you are open to that.

I know that commute and schools are super important when home searching, but I think it's also important to consider happiness in the home/environment when the family members are not at work/school. For me, it was important to live near good shopping--I really wanted to be close to a Barnes & Noble, and no more than 20 minutes from a Whole Foods and a Trader Joes. Places like Triangle and Stafford didn't offer that. It was also important for me to live in a family neighborhood with lots of young children and things for them to do--playgrounds, pools, etc. right in the community. That is why we chose Bristow, even though the commute is a bit longer.

Have you considered living on base? That might be the best commute wise and I've heard great things about the DOD schools on base. When we moved here, they told us it was a 12-18 month wait, but could have changed over the past 2 years, and it depends on rank/family size anyway.

I think you should take a good look at the Ashland subdivision like tgwbc mentioned. It is off the 234 right along the Manassas/Woodbridge border. It would probably take your husband about 10-15 minutes to reach the main gate of Quantico, plus however long it takes to get to his actual work place from there. The neighborhood is very nice, and Ashland elementary is excellent. You could get a single family home for a bit higher than your $300,000 target (I'm seeing some for $399,000).

Old 11-18-2008, 08:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,352,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
Has he driven around Triangle much? There are some very nice, very beautiful homes in Triangle, and there are also some very dumpy ones. I'm not sure if any of the nicer homes are in your $300,000 price range

I drove thrrough the area a couple weeks ago, it looks like they are completely rebuilding Triangle elementary. Also, there a lot of private (religious) schools in that area, if you are open to that.

I know that commute and schools are super important when home searching, but I think it's also important to consider happiness in the home/environment when the family members are not at work/school. For me, it was important to live near good shopping--I really wanted to be close to a Barnes & Noble, and no more than 20 minutes from a Whole Foods and a Trader Joes. Places like Triangle and Stafford didn't offer that. It was also important for me to live in a family neighborhood with lots of young children and things for them to do--playgrounds, pools, etc. right in the community. That is why we chose Bristow, even though the commute is a bit longer.

Have you considered living on base? That might be the best commute wise and I've heard great things about the DOD schools on base. When we moved here, they told us it was a 12-18 month wait, but could have changed over the past 2 years, and it depends on rank/family size anyway.

I think you should take a good look at the Ashland subdivision like tgwbc mentioned. It is off the 234 right along the Manassas/Woodbridge border. It would probably take your husband about 10-15 minutes to reach the main gate of Quantico, plus however long it takes to get to his actual work place from there. The neighborhood is very nice, and Ashland elementary is excellent. You could get a single family home for a bit higher than your $300,000 target (I'm seeing some for $399,000).
We do enjoy Ashland because of the ammenities (pool, playgrounds, tennis courts, fitness center). Another option would be Lake Terrapin or Winding Creek, which I think was mentioned earlier.

Was it mentioned how big of a house you need/are looking for?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudMarinewife View Post
Thanks so much HereinVa and American Arrogance. That is exactly the info I was hoping to get.
I asked my Hubby to take a drive tonight up to Bristow to see what he thought about the commute. After he returned home he called and said he would rather not have to drive that distance every day. I can understand that so I guess Bristow is off our list.

My daughter is 5, just started Kindergarten this year, so I am hoping to find a good fit for her in the school department.
What do you know about Triangle Elem. or Widewater Elem.? I think these are the two areas my husband is leaning.
I will take all the help I can get. Thanks again for the great information, I so appreciate it.

You can go to PWC public school website. Also have your hubby stop in at the school during school hours and see if he can get a tour. Also maybe schedule time with the teachers of the grade your child will be attending. A school is as good as the parents involvement.

Also in triangle they have subdivision such as Cramer Ridge, Lionsfield Valley, Stonewall manor that are brand new and being built. There are quite a few home there that are in the $300K range. There is one that is fully finished, all the latest upgrades but its missing the kitchen. It is listed at $296K. beautiful home though minus the kitchen.

I never heard of widewater elem.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 PM

We did ask about base housing and they told us they couldn't even give a date that something might come open. 2+ years was the guess.
I agree that the home life is important to consider too, which would make Bristow perfect for my daughter and I but not so much for DH. If he was misserable with the commute, I can't imagine he would be in a great mood when he got home. I am in hopes that if we are close to base then that will be where we find the extra stuff.
We really came out here looking for 1600 -1800 size home. They don't seem to make them that size around here. I alway figure the bigger the house just means I have more house to clean. I will pass on the Triangle info to my husband. He has only really driven around there once and looked at a couple of homes but I am not sure what area they were located. I will have him check out Asland too. That sounds promissing.
Thanks so much for all your help and info. It has really been a big help and given us lots of ideas, and relieved some stress. Ok, off to get the house ready, movers will be here in the morning.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:16 PM

230 posts, read 759,249 times
Have you considered renting a house. I think in this economy I would sit it out before commiting to buying a house, especially being military and not knowing if you might get reassigned during this down economy. Just a thought!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
Have you considered renting a house. I think in this economy I would sit it out before commiting to buying a house, especially being military and not knowing if you might get reassigned during this down economy. Just a thought!

I dont know if thats a good idea unless you screen the leasor. People move into homes to find out that the owners didnt pay thier mortgage and then they have to move out within 30 days. If you cant credit check, background check and even get a copy of the mortgage and any 2nd mortgage then I'd be wary of renting a house. You'd be better of with renting an apt.

@proudmarinewife....there is a road next to Quantico gate called Fuller rd. You drive down there and you will come across new subdivision homes. Ryan homes and Brookfield homes are building back there.

Aslo further down Route 1 is Graham park rd. Drive down for about 1.5 make a right past the circle and you will be back in a wooded aread, there is a new home development back there call Stoneawall manor. It will eventually connect to Cramer Ridge which you can access off the Fuller Rd area.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM

993 posts, read 2,495,206 times
When is your move to the area?

Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 AM

Sorry I have been MIA the last few days, dealing with the packers and all things moving. Thanks so much for the help AA. You hava really been helpful in our search and given us ideas of where to look. I will pass on the other communities you mentioned to Hubby to check out. About how far away are the communites you mentioned from the base?

Hubby has found a place in Widewater Village that he likes, obviously I can only see pictues and what he tells me. Does anyone have first hand info on that community?

Newk, we are looking at getting to Quantico around the first of the year. We would like to have the school stuff all figued our and ready to go so our daughter can start back in Jan. with of the kids. I think they go back to school Jan. 5th, here they don't go back until the 13. I also think I read that the school day starts about 9am and gets out about 3pm. I am thinking that might be a nice change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia