Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 AM

280 posts, read 1,041,781 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Looking to buy my starter house, a townhouse, <200K, in NOVA, been looking at foreclosures with a great agent.

I have variable commute and schedule (I am a telecommuter in general, have weekly drives to Tysons, Herndon, possibly Gainesville in the future, very occasionally DC via public transport). I drive to Nokesville daily for my hobby, generally not during rush hour.

For price and location I am considering Manassas (have seen some biggish TH in the Paradise complex in decent shape) and Centreville (much smaller but in probably more desirable areas like Green Trails, could get a little bigger in older neighborhoods like Newgate).

Don't have kids.

Anyway, anyone have thoughts on either the current safety of any of these locations or the likely stability of them as investments? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,321 times
Can you give me the cross streets or part of town for the Paradise complex in Manassas? I am just not sure where that is ...

Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Paradise is on both sides of Sudley Manor, west of Ashton. (The ones north of S.M. are coming off Rodes or Seymour, the ones to the south are just next to Rosemont Lewis Park.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:55 PM

230 posts, read 757,973 times
I have lived in Centreville's Green Trails community for over 12 years. It is a very nice community, safe and a great location (easy access to Rt 66). Our family has no complaints. I personally think buying in Green Trails would be a sound investment. However, I'm not sure what townhouse would be available as a foreclosure for less than $200,000. If you are lucky enough to find one for that price I certainly would take advantage of it if it is in rather good shape! Centreville is located in the middle of the areas that you commute to for your work locations (present and future) and your daily hobby.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,321 times
OK, I like that area of Manassas very much. I know many people around there who have no complaints. I would have to argue that Centreville would make a slightly sounder investment for the obvious reasons (closer in; located in Fairfax County). But I think you can make the decision based on the obvious tradeoffs - size, community, amenities, etc.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback and answers. Yes, that's exactly the tradeoff--better location vs. bigger/cheaper. Appreciate your responses. Good to know neither is a terrible choice, at least.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM

154 posts, read 374,104 times
I've lived in Newgate for about 15 years now and our family loves it here. Since you don't have any kids you don't have to worry about the inevitable negative (bogus imo) comments about the elementary school. It's a mature community but very stable and well taken care of neighborhood with a very reasonable HOA. It's a safe area - nowhere is perfect but there are no crime issues. Actually pretty much anywhere in Centreville is relatively safe.

There is an incredible range of prices of townhouses here but there's a reason for that - some of the foreclosure/short sale townhouses have been rather roughly taken care of the last few years...

In the closest 3 townhouses next to ours we have had a total of 2 families living there in each one in these last 15 years. So while there is a fair amount of turnover the majority of people live here for at least 5+ years at a time.

On the other hand Nokesville can be a long drive if you are doing it the wrong time of day... I gave up my dentist in Nokesville a few years ago because it seemed to get farther and farther away every year thanks to the traffic that came with the development in Gainesville/Bristow.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,863 times
I live nearby the Paradise development. Good area. Low crime. Schools are decent. If I had liquid cash, I'd buy some of those properties as I think they're undervalued.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,167 times
Default Schools matter whether you have children or not.

We also have no children and have made the mistake of thinking schools dont matter. But they do ... if you are at all concerned about your house holding and increasing in value.

For that reason (and others) I'd go with Centreville. People will want to know about the schools when you go to sell, and the schools there are good IIRC. (All Fairfax schools are good, some are just better than others.)

Here's a blog I'd suggest you check out before buying in Manassas. It's maintained by a NOVA real estate agent who has been tracking what she calls the NOVA Real Estate bubble. What you will see is that the market has imploded in Manassas while other areas have kept their value better.

Northern Virginia Housing Bubble Fallout

You have to decide ... do you want to buy somewhere because you can get a rockbottom price that may not appreciate much, or would you rather stick with an area that has remained attractive despite the storm around us?

My personal opinion FWIW. It's always better to stick with solid neighborhoods if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia