Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM

22 posts, read 46,380 times

Advertisements

I cant find a job close to Falls Church.

I have sent hundreds of resumes and NOTHING!!!!!!!

I am so f*&**^*& frustrated!!!!

neither me nor my husband can find anything.

I used to be an office manager for a doctors office willing to work in any field and my husband has supervising experience in the construction field.

Help !!! Don't be selfish if you are in HR or know of a company hiring please reply.

We are sick of Craigslist and every other site out there . I am beginning to
think the only way to get a job now is to know someone and we are new here and don't know any one .....

This sucks

Last edited by MiamiMuslimah; 11-18-2008 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:06 PM

931 posts, read 3,804,298 times
I use this website: Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed

Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 PM

I am on it all the time.....I know it combines all the listings from all the top sources but no luck yet, have you had any luck with it?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM

361 posts, read 737,803 times
Have you tried the Virginia Employment Commission website? Earlier this year, I found their site helpful.
Also, sending resumes may be a crapshoot. It may help to think creatively. Intense networking is helpful -- tell everyone you are looking. Think about some new ways to market yourself and your skills. Have your own "30-second resume" always ready. Since you are not currently working, treat job-hunting like your "real" job ... but make time for some volunteer work. What about job fairs? Don't know of any upcoming ... but they are held fairly regularly. How about some evening courses to tune up your skills... Since you're looking in a certain area, you could print up a mess of resumes and spend a morning going from building to building... Just something to try. Also, have someone check your resume to be certain it contains no errors and presents you in the best light.
Just a few suggestions from my own repertoire!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the tips...I have the Virginia employment commission and no luck....
On Thursday I am going to nearby buildings with copies of my resume wish me luck ...In the meantime I am going to post my resume in the original thread so people can comment.
thanks
Sincerely,
Still frustrated and in need of a job !

P.S Com on people!!! I am sure out of all the readers here that are employed there are a lot of you who's company is looking for bilingual office help...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
Back in April when you posted about coming here, some people here warned that you shouldn't move without having at least one job lined up, especially with the higher cost of living and the well-known decline in the building industry.

You posted in May that your husband had gotten a job, what happened with that?

In a booming economy, yes, you can get a job practically by just showing up, but in the current climate you do have to know someone. You said you were moving here to be involved with a mosque and the Muslim community. That was over six months ago so I don't understand why you say you don't know anyone, aren't you networking within the community that is the reason you moved here? That would be the best place to focus your efforts. I'm sorry it's been a struggle, especially since you have children.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 AM

Thankyou for your concern Yankeesfan,

I did move here in April and things have been better in a way because at least we don't get harassed here like in Miami such as when my daughter was harassed by her own teacher because of her religion and I almost got run over while pregnant in a parking lot.

Here people are used to seeing Muslims every where.

Right after we moved here my husband did get a job for a small company, but due to the economy his boss had to close one of the two locations that he had which was the one that my husband was in.

As far as the people in the mosque its self I am sorry to say that allot of them don't practice true Islam, they rarely associate with people from different countries and I personally volunteered there and I can tell you that the administration doesn't really care about anyone but themselves maybe not all of them but the few key people that I knew so since I disagreed with what they were doing I had to stop volunteering and as far as networking its kinda hard to explain but most of the moms are stay at home very very sheltered and the working ones well like I said I don't speak their language.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:56 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,404,409 times
I appreciate your frustration Miami but it's best to keep a positive attitude. I can't advise on your personal job search but I can make some recommendations for your husband if he is a US citizen. Times are tough right now but the US Government is still hiring some positions; however, you must be a US citizen in order to apply. If he meets this requirement, I recommend your husband look at www.usajobs.gov.

Use the keyword 'construction' in the search criteria and specify the Virginia and Maryland areas for geographic region. I tried this on your behalf and turned up several jobs looking for someone with construction management experience. Government jobs historically pay a bit less than industry jobs but are usually considered more secure, with an excellent benefits package. If your husband does decide to apply, he needs to ensure that his cover letter discusses each and every requirement listed in the job description and he needs to prove point by point how his specific experience meets the requirements listed.

Hope this helps and the best of luck to you both.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,373 times
Hi

I understand your frustration. But as an HR professional, I will tell you that dropping off your resume will most likely get it thrown in the trash. Many companies in fact don't have local hire authority. Meaning they use recruiting companies either their own or a subcontractor. It helps them to cull the herd so to speak. I would recommend the following: Search by address of the companies near you, look them up on the internet, then use their online job site application. Many will not take a resume unless there is a position, but many will. I would start with companies that are most like the one you left. I would also highly recommend a temp agency. Many companies use those to help them find good help. That way if it doens't work out the company can just terminate. Some can be long term temping as well. As mentioned earlier, the biggest advantage in this area is if you are US citizens. If the position you are looking at requires that, it is required by law to say so. But there are some jobs where that is a necessity.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:14 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,818 times
Try OfficeTeam in Tysons Corner on International Blvd for temp work. I used them for a month, before i found a real job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: