U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 42,972 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband is stationed at Andrews AFB and we are looking to buy in Fredericksburg. We are well aware of the commute but the good thing is he gets out of work at 2pm so were not to to to worried about traffic. We are looking for an area where we could buy for around 300k. I just have a few questions and would love some help!!

1. Whats a good hospital in the area?
2. What do you think of 22407?
3. How family friendly is this area?
4. Is there alot of things to do? Outdoor recreation?
5. Does it snow more then the hampton Roads area?
6. Is there plenty of shopping?
7. Whats the newest zip code?

Thanks so much guys in helping us make the right decision!!

Oh and just for fun... Hows the christmas spirit?? Happy Holidays!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 AM

97 posts, read 547,713 times
Can't remember the name of the hospital but it's very new and seems well regarded. I was blown away at the medical care available in Fredericksburg considering it's size. It must be a hub for the area.

Anyway, I think you will love Fredericksburg. I was there for a year (until 2/08) and found it a charming city with tons of history going back before the Revolutionary War. It's very well located for exploring and is pretty laid back. It's out of the Northern Virginia (DC) loop so you get a sense of being in the south. I lived on the north side of the river off Warrenton Road.

22407? Can't help you. I lived in 22406. I'd buy there in a heartbeat if I stayed. It's in Stafford County but is considered part of Fredericksburg. Why? No clue.

Housing? It's abundant and relatively inexpensive considering what you can buy 20 miles north. Most of the new housing stock seems to be southwest of Fredericksburg. My personal preference for a home would be on the east side of town. It's more rural, less developed, but still plenty of great neighborhoods.

Things to do? Plenty. Culture, sports, shopping, exploring, etc. No problem there. There's also some kind of huge water park going in at the Celebrate Virginia complex. You won't be bored.

Weather? Pretty mild actually. Very little snow and of course it gets cold in winter but nothing too bad. Summer's are ok and for some reason, most of the rain heads east and splits when it hits Fredericksburg. Some goes north and some goes south while the city gets a few clouds and mist. Amazing but true.

Commute? Many (most) people commute and the options are plentiful. Commuter buses, VRE railroad, slug lines or carpooling. An unpleasant reality of modern times!

Enjoy Fredericksburg! I sure did!

Greg

Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 PM

741 posts, read 3,662,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonenzinmd View Post
1. Whats a good hospital in the area?
2. What do you think of 22407?
3. How family friendly is this area?
4. Is there alot of things to do? Outdoor recreation?
5. Does it snow more then the hampton Roads area?
6. Is there plenty of shopping?
7. Whats the newest zip code?
1. Mary Washington Hospital is the main hospital in the area. There is also a 100% new hospital being built just south of town, right near I-95 around mile marker 124 or so. Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center - Home Page

In addition to this new hospital, Mary Washington just finished a new emergency room near-by, off of Exit 126 north. Mary Washington also built a satellite hospital in Stafford.

2. I grew up in 22407. It's a great area. If I had to generalize, it's a lot of medium sized neighborhoods off of old country roads. You make your way down Old Plank Rd, or Gordon Rd, or Leavells Rd/Salem church Rd to get to Rt. 3, and from there you have access to the Mall (spotsylvania town center), and Central Park (all the big-box stores), and of course I-95.

3. The area is very family friendly. There are lots of new schools due to the explosive growth of the 90's and early 2000's.

4. They are adding on a whole new wing to the Mall which will include a new bowling alley and movie theater. There is also 2 other movie theaters and two other bowling alleys. In Central Park there is a kids play area called fun Land, with go-karts, lazer tag, and an arcade. There was an iceskating rink in Central Park as well, but i think it might have closed. As mentioned before, there is going to be a large indoor waterpark built in the back of Central Park. Also, the YMCA built a small water park in it's South-stafford location. there is King's Dominion about a 30 minute drive south, which has something like 16 roller coasters, and a huge waterpark (2 wave pools, slides, and all that). In fredericksburg, you're not far from the mountains, where you can hike, fish, camp, and such. My favorite park growing up was Alum Spring's Park in the City of Fredericksburg. also, Spotsylvania just finished a new $7 million park with soccer and football fields, and like 6 baseball/softball fields, and an amphitheater and miles of walking trails. they are also working on a bike trail system in Spotsy. there is currently a strip from Gordon Road (near the timber's) which goes down an old railroad track to near the library on salem church road.

5. I'd say it snows a little more, just because we're less likely to get ice than down there. Usually snow melts the same day it falls though. It's rare for us to get more than a couple inches.

6. Well, besides the Spotsy Mall (Well, 'town center' it's called now) and Central Park, they have also started duplicating everything off of exit 126 (well, no mall though). You should really have all the shopping you'll ever need right there in town. There are also several farmer's markets to go to on the weekend. There are of course many malls to go to in richmond or northern VA, if you want to try out new stores.

7. I'm not sure about newest zip code... but the new 'up and communing' area seems to be around Lee's Parke (exit 126, head south on Rt. 1, it's on your right). That area has seen the largest growth recently, especially commercial growth. New super walmart/super target, staples, best buy, kohls, lowes, and all the restaurants you'd ever want. Also, that area is where they have built that new park, and a new YMCA. That community is only about half built, and is split into different sections. I'm sure you could get a really nice home in there for $300k, and then you're only a couple traffic lights from I-95 and accross Rt. 1 from a ton of shopping. Also, they're extending the road that goes throught he middle of Lee's Park, and building a bridge over I-95 that will go right to the new hospital that's under construction.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:39 PM

3,588 posts, read 8,459,396 times
There is already rush hour traffic at 2 PM - lots of it.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:31 PM

242 posts, read 775,714 times
Well thank you so much for all of the information. We are going to take a day and head out that way...were just not sure where to start I have done lots of research and I am really excited. This place seems like we would fit right in. We love how there is so much to do and plenty of shopping. Housing is very reasonable and the schools seem to be great. I compared Fredericksburg schools with other schools in Maryland and I was pretty impressed with the Fredericksburg Education. Thanks again for all your input and I will let you know how it goes when I get back. I am sure I will have more questions

Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 PM

9 posts, read 22,157 times
My husband made the commute from Fredericksburg to DC for about 2 years. He normally took the VRE so that he did not have to worry about traffic and driving. The only downfall of the VRE is that it is not always consistent with departure and arrival times, but that wasn't a major issue. We used to live in Alexandria, but did not enjoy the constant hustle and bustle, so we opted to move further south. I am a local Realtor in the area, and I could e-mail you some homes currently on the market in your price range. That way you could check out a few homes as well. This may give you an idea of the types of neighborhoods and homes available to you. Are you thinking about buying or renting? I could also send you a map of the hot spot areas and things to see to make your trip less stressful and more productive! Please let me know if I can be of any help! Alicia Monahan

Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM

6 posts, read 19,994 times
Hello there! I work and live in Stafford (as a realtor for Keller Williams) and may be able to help you. The post above is correct the hospital in Fredericksburg is Mary Washington but Stafford is getting ready to open another hospital on Rt1 further north. If you would like just go on to our website and you will find all kinds of info on Stafford, Spotsylvania and Fredericksburg and you can set up a home search which is totally free and will give you all the listings from the MLS that fit your criteria. I hope this is helpful and let me know if I can help you further! Best of Luck and Happy Holidays!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:54 PM

44 posts, read 115,305 times
Where in Rt1?? I havent seen any hospital construction going on. Just wondering..

Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM

741 posts, read 3,662,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mielcre View Post
Where in Rt1?? I havent seen any hospital construction going on. Just wondering..
MediCorp Health System | Stafford Campus

Near the corner of Rt. 1 and Courthouse Rd.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 PM

6 posts, read 19,994 times
They have plans to add an on/off ramp from 95 to make it easy access to the new hospital. It is just south of the intersection of Rt1 and Courthouse Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia