Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:53 PM

15 posts, read 40,341 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband has a good opportunity for a position in Va.

The office is in Herndon. We now live in a well established historic district minutes from downtown and most things Austin has to offer. We have two children, aged 12 and 8 who are very active in sports especially soccer, so would love to have a competitive-well thought of soccer club nearby.

Any suggestions of a neat area that would offer a little of what our Austin home feels like...Close to hip, fun shopping areas. Great access to outdoor running trails and activities. Strong, established private schools nearby. Homes that range in the $600,000-900,00.

From reading the posts, sounds like traffic is an issue that all contend with. Other than visiting DC as a tourist, we know absolutely nil about the area.

Thank you for any input and info.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:14 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
Damn what does your husband do for a living

Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,245,857 times
Reston has lots of what you are looking for but not the historic stuff as it is only about 45 years old.

We have lots of great tennis courts and an active community tennis program.
The Reston Association - Adult Tennis (http://www.reston.org/parks_rec/p_tennis_adults.html - broken link)

I know lots of kids who play soccer
Reston Soccer Association

Reston has more than 50 miles of trails
The Reston Association - Maps (http://www.reston.org/maps/m_index.html - broken link)

Reston is next door to Herndon - so no traffic problems for your husband.

I don't know much about private schools but here are few that I do know.
Oakcrest School
Potomac School
Paul VI Catholic High School
The Madeira School

Shopping
Welcome to the Reston Town Center.
Tysons Corner Center | Home
Dulles Town Center

Here are a few homes in the 600 - 900 price range.
View Property Details- 1302 RED HAWK CIR, RESTON, VA 20194
View Property Details- 2508 CHARLESTOWN LN, RESTON, VA 20191
View Property Details- 11025 BURYWOOD LN, RESTON, VA 20194
View Property Details- 2629 FOX MILL RD, RESTON, VA 20191
View Property Details- 11601 SPRINGHOUSE PL, RESTON, VA 20194

Old 11-19-2008, 08:35 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,198 times
I have been to Austin, I stayed in the Driskill Hotel. The closest town to Herndon that is somewhat similar to Austin is Leesburg, which is very historic. Plan on 30 minutes to Herndon, perhaps longer in rush hour traffic. Next closest and similar in historic interest would be Warrenton, which would be a longer commute. As far as private schools go, what are you looking for? If it is just quality of eduction the public schools here are excellent. If it is special needs or religious reasons, you would have to be more specific as to the type of school you need. Go to HomesDatabase to check out the homes available. Leesburg is in Loudoun county, Warrenton is in Fauquier County.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,499 times
Default Moving from Austin

Hello! Please bring Elgin Sausage, TexMex and BBQ sauce! Plus Bluebell!

We just moved from Austin (Cedar Park) to Burke in August.

Ok, Forget easy commutes, unless you work from home. Forget TexMex (Good) and be ready for culture shock.

Be ready for home value shock, I pretty much know where you are coming from and you will be hard pressed to replace your home apples to apples. We are renting and just sold our Austin home last month. Prices are droopping but not as fast in NOVA as other parts.

Customer service is pratically non-existent and making fajitas is an excercise in futility.

But this really is a great place to live. Let me know if you want more info.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,341 times
Why would you leave beautiful vibrant Austin for Northern Virginia? Hahah jk.

I left Springfield, VA for San Antonio,TX. I lived in Springfield for my whole life besides four years in Harrisonsburg, VA for college. Reasonable home prices for the win!

How much is your husband's pay increasing by relocating to Northern Virginia?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:35 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,947 times
Default Some thoughts 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisgrl View Post
Hello. My husband has a good opportunity for a position in Va.

The office is in Herndon. We now live in a well established historic district minutes from downtown and most things Austin has to offer. We have two children, aged 12 and 8 who are very active in sports especially soccer, so would love to have a competitive-well thought of soccer club nearby.

Any suggestions of a neat area that would offer a little of what our Austin home feels like...Close to hip, fun shopping areas. Great access to outdoor running trails and activities. Strong, established private schools nearby. Homes that range in the $600,000-900,00.

From reading the posts, sounds like traffic is an issue that all contend with.

Congratulations to your husband. I give the same advice to everyone in his shoes: rarely is it a mistake to get work experience in D.C.

OK, on to where to live. Much as I encourage you to come, do understand that Washington is not a very hip place. The city and pretty much every area around it of any affluence take themselves very seriously. There are hip places to go, such as clubs in Georgetown. But I can't think of any town or even neighborhood that I would describe as hip. Keep in mind also that NOVA is a suburb, not a city like Austin. Nonetheless you will find plenty to like ... if not love.

My top recommendation to you would be Oakton. It's a beautiful area, and with 600-900K you will be able to find a wonderful home. Here is a little map that will show you the availability of parks:

http://www.househunt.com/maps.php?zi...600&height=400 If you put your cursor on the map and manipulate it around you will see just how many parks are in Oakton and nearby.

And here for points of interest:

www.americaonwheels.com/VA/Oakton_22124

There are private schools throughout Fairfax County. I am sure Oakton has several, but the best known is surely the Flint Hill School. Very well thought of.

As for soccer, if there is no Oakton Youth Soccer league, neighboring Vienna (which would be my next reco to you) will have one. When it comes to shopping, you will have no trouble finding anything and everything you need or want.

It's probably about 10 miles from Oakton to Herndon. A very reasonable commute unless traffic is bad. Which I don't think it should be all that often ... it is a reverse commute. When your husband is going to Herndon, most people would be coming the other way.

I dont have as high an opinion of Reston as Oakton. Look at the crime stats before you consider it. As for Herndon itself, I don't think you will want to live out there. You can afford to live in a much nicer area, and I really dont know if you will find good private schooling that far out.

I have an excellent real estate agent who lives in Oakton and knows the area well. If you want her name or have any other questions, feel free to send me a message.

Hope this helps.

DCO

Old 11-20-2008, 11:54 AM

12 posts, read 32,849 times
I would recommend Vienna. I haven't been to Austin, but Vienna does have a town center that locals tend to enjoy for shopping which includes a Whole Foods and Starbucks. There are definitely homes there within your price range and you can see them on www.realtor.com. The school system there has a reputation of being very good and another reason people enjoy living there is that the W&O trail is accessabile for biking, runing, etc. As far as commuting, Vienna is close to the metro so convenient if you want to go into DC. However, there is no direct connection between Vienna and Herndon on the Metro. There is a proposed metro station in Herndon but that is not scheduled to come on line until 2015.

Luisa Rodriguez

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-22-2008 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: Real estate advertising

Old 11-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks to all for the great info. It will be hard to Austin and we are still unsure, but it sounds as if N. VA has lots to offer and would be a neat experience. I really appreciate the feedback.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks to all for the great info. It will be hard to leave Austin and we are still unsure, but it sounds as if N. VA has lots to offer and would be a neat experience. I really appreciate the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia