Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 AM

47 posts, read 254,828 times

Advertisements

We're currently living in Reston, but my wife is a finalist for a job on Main Street in Fairfax, so we're looking for a place to rent in Fairfax. She would like a place that's very walkable, with good sidewalks, nearby grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

She loves Whole Foods, and I saw that there's one in the Marketplace Commons area of Fairfax. Are there many 2/3BR condos/townhouses in the area that we could get for no more than $2500/month? Is there anywhere else that you could recommend in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:48 AM

722 posts, read 1,971,806 times
Anywhere in the Fair Lakes or Fair Oaks areas, you should be able to find a nice, new-ish townhouse to rent in your price range. It's far enough outside the Beltway that it's not ridiculously expensive in the area. You'll get a LOT more home for your money than you would futher east. I wouldn't want to do the drive to D.C. every day, but for commuting to Main Street you'll be fine.

That Whole Foods you're talking about is really nice, too. All the shopping in that area is nice.

There is a Wegmans not far from that area, too, with a lot of townhouses around it. That's a little closer to Fairfax Corner, which is more nice upscale shopping, with restaurants and a movie theater.

If you wanted to be even closer to her work, you could even rent a SFH in Fairfax City for that price. But that's a little further from the good shopping.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM

595 posts, read 2,298,353 times
There is a great website called Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address. Just enter any address in the US and it will give it a score of 0-100. The White House gets a 94, for example. My parents house in PWC gets a 32. There will be certain disparities, but it is still a good guage. I just bought a condo with a score of 69, and it looks like the area is really thriving.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM

47 posts, read 254,828 times
Barry, that's a great idea. I'd completely forgotten about that site.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:55 PM

162 posts, read 635,556 times
That site is neat! Where we are is rated 5. Where my sister is...74! Where one friend lives...it can't even pull up the area. LOL! I'd say that's remote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: