Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,161 times

Advertisements

Folks,

I'm relocating from Denver (w/ an existing job in-hand) and was wondering about the 2009 IT/Software job health in the NOVA area. Is it slowing down? I have temporary housing outside of Leesburg and was wondering if there are three 'concentric cycles' for high tech employment (I've heard that from a colleague) - - can anyone confirm?

Concentric Circle A - - Herndon/Reston/Dulles

Concentric Circle B - - Tyson's Corner

Concentric Circle C - - Washington DC

I really don't want to leave the Herndon/Reston tech market (Circle A) since it looks like a punishing commute to Tysons Corner (Circle B) and even more punishing to DC (Circle C)

Can anyone confirm that there is a lot of IT employment in circle A and if that sours looks to circle B for other employment options? I want to avoid Circle C in it's entirety ...

Thanks Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 PM

280 posts, read 1,042,945 times
Never thought of the concentric circles but there is some truth to that. I think of the Dulles Corridor as being gov't contractors in IT and Tysons as having a bit more of a financial slant (DC of course has everything).

I've worked in some sort of IT here for 8 yrs. Obviously the whole economy is slowing down to some degree, but IMO the IT market in NoVA/DC metro is more stable than many elsewhere, just because it is almost all gov't contracting, and the gov't is always a bit slow to react. Longer term contracts, slower to take on new work and new technologies in better times, but also slower to downsize.

As far as commutes, Reston-->Tysons is not that bad for NoVA, if you do ultimately get stuck doing that extra leg. The longer part of your commute will be Leesburg-->Reston. Depending on your field, position, and assignment, some of your clients will likely be in DC, so you might have to put in some time there (or not), but if it is on your company time and not during rush hour, it's much less painful.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM

67 posts, read 247,347 times
I'd ditto novahousehunter's comment. While there is some definitely slowing in the commercial sector, most of the IT contracting around here is federal, so it's pretty stable.

There's also quite a few companies slightly southeast in the Fair Lakes / Fair Oaks area, so that's also a consideration if things don't work out in "Circle A."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia