Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,693,651 times

Advertisements

Analyze This, thanks for all the info and especially your positive attitude. So refreshing after some of the whining that comes from some people! (Sorry about your troubles with Comcast.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,521,033 times
I might be older but I am a very nice caring person - and most people are snobs and not friendly here. Period. That has been my experience - every time I have tried to make friends - nothing has come of it - everyone is too busy making money or cutting people off in traffic.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:51 PM

17,492 posts, read 16,671,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I might be older but I am a very nice caring person - and most people are snobs and not friendly here. Period. That has been my experience - every time I have tried to make friends - nothing has come of it - everyone is too busy making money or cutting people off in traffic.
Having a social life does become a bit more complicated once you have a kid. When I was single, I could pretty much hang out with/get to know any interesting person I met (and in this area there are many). But once I had kids, I found that I really wanted to know a person well before I had them in my home and around my family. Getting to know someone that well can take time because people are so busy. Sometimes it's easier for them to just stick with the few familiar faces they already know.

At least that's been my experience.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 PM

870 posts, read 2,115,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
FM, I'm sorry that this has been your experience. We've made many kind, caring people in Woodbridge in our 7 months here. The outpouring of support (even from acquantences we didn't know very well) when our newborn was sick this week was amazing. We met most of our friends through our Catholic parish. I don't know if you're religious or not, FM, but if you are, I hope that people at your church are more open to friendship and less interested in solely monetary gains.

On the other hand, I can't say I've ever made a friend while driving in DC or NoVA. Some enemies, I'll bet, but no friends...

Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 PM

798 posts, read 2,731,965 times
Excellent post AnalyzeThis! I am glad you are enjoying your NOVA experience. Your attitude has a lot to do with that in my opinion. I am originally from NYC but have moved around all of my adult life and have found that a good portion of your experience is how open and receptive you are to the different areas. We lived here once before while our kids were younger and moved back to the area almost 2 years ago. Both times found the people to be great, the restaurant options a treat and the things to do and see a lot of fun.

Mike From NIU, I hope your baby is doing okay.. My thoughts and prayers are with you..

Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 PM

15,161 posts, read 27,884,611 times
I agree Irisheyes - sadly, there are some that continue to bemoan the area and complain.

Mike - I hope you all are doing well.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,111,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
We are planning to actually DO the commute from West Springfield to DC next Monday, to get a feel for how it will go before we put in an offer on our *dream* home (a bank-owned place that needs updating, but is otherwise near perfect).
You are smart to try the commute. If you can, do it on a day other than Monday or Friday since many government workers have alternative work schedules and are off on those days.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 PM

870 posts, read 2,115,249 times
Flamingo and irisheyes,

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I gave my baby a cold I had been suffering from, and since she was so young (only 8 days at the time), it meant automatic ER trip with chest X-ray, bloods, etc. Fortunately, we avoided a spinal tap by .1 of a degree (ie, that much higher, and automatic spinal tap). She was discharged after an overnight, and is back home and doing better.

As for some of the original topic/Fairfax Mom's posts, I don't doubt there are areas/neighborhoods in NoVA whose residents are more insular/less welcoming. I don't know what demographics Fairfax Mom belonged to when she moved to the area. Our experience might have been easier since we have preschool kids, and kids those age automatically seek out other small children and the parents naturally strike up conversations. If we didn't have kids, I don't know how easily we would have made friends.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 AM

798 posts, read 2,731,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Flamingo and irisheyes,

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I gave my baby a cold I had been suffering from, and since she was so young (only 8 days at the time), it meant automatic ER trip with chest X-ray, bloods, etc. Fortunately, we avoided a spinal tap by .1 of a degree (ie, that much higher, and automatic spinal tap). She was discharged after an overnight, and is back home and doing better.

As for some of the original topic/Fairfax Mom's posts, I don't doubt there are areas/neighborhoods in NoVA whose residents are more insular/less welcoming. I don't know what demographics Fairfax Mom belonged to when she moved to the area. Our experience might have been easier since we have preschool kids, and kids those age automatically seek out other small children and the parents naturally strike up conversations. If we didn't have kids, I don't know how easily we would have made friends.

I am glad the baby is doing better.. It is scary when they are sick and especially when they are so young!

I have no doubt that Fairfax Mom is experiencing what she says she is and it is sad to read that someone is so unhappy here (or anywhere else they live). I also don't know the demographics or particulars of her experience (maybe her neighbors are all snobs) but my experience has been very different.. I learned many moves ago that I am reasonsible for my happiness no matter we we live.. That does not work for everyone and I understand that..

Analyze this, I meant to say we love whole foods as well..

Skapov, I second making the commute mid week. There is a noticable difference in traffic and on the metro on Mondays and Fridays.. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 AM

116 posts, read 447,099 times
I love when yuppies come on here and whine about having to settle for a townhouse like that is some great sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia