Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,874 times

Advertisements

You could rent for that price in Manchester Lakes (22310), Kingstowne (22315) or Island Creek (22315), within walking distance or a 3-5 minute drive of your husband's job, which are all very nice and safe neighborhoods. You might even find a small townhouse.

Kingstowne Residential Owners Corporation

Manchester Lakes

Island Creek Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy22 View Post
. I am used to being able to get a really nice place for $500 in Tennessee, but I see that is not the case in Alexandria.
Welcome to one of the most expensive metros in the country. You'd have to head out maybe 100 miles west or south to find anything approaching $500/month for an apartment. Fortunately, you've already adjusted your price range accordingly.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Hi, I am trying to find an apartment. I am from out of state. What do you think about the area between the Capital Beltway and I395 around Estall Rd? Are the apartments poor quality and is the crime bad in that area? I noticed they seemed cheaper than many other apartments in Alexandria. Also, what about the area north of Huntley Meadows Park. I am trying to find an apartment near where my husband will be working, which is near Manchester Blvd. If both the areas I suggested aren't a good area, do you know of another area nearby. He doesn't want to spend more than 20 minutes driving to work. Thanks for any help.
I moved to the 395/Edsall area a while back and I haven't noticed any crime issues. That said, the apartment complexes in the Landmark area seem to vary a lot. Some of them are brand new, while some are very run down and old, and still others are old but well-maintained.

I don't think it's a bad area, but I would definitely check out the apartment a bit before deciding. I can tell you that the Sullivan Place apartments/condos are very nice, but the other ones I'm not sure about. The Bren Mar apartments/Valley Park condos seem OK from the outside but I've never been in them. I've never been to the Edsall Gardens apartments across the street, though they look a little run-down from the outside.

As for complexes closer to Van Dorn St., I know someone in Edlandria, and they like it there. I know someone in EOS-21 who thinks that place is OK, but has some maintenance issues. I also looked at Cascade at Landmark before moving here and that building seemed nice.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I moved to the 395/Edsall area a while back and I haven't noticed any crime issues. That said, the apartment complexes in the Landmark area seem to vary a lot. Some of them are brand new, while some are very run down and old, and still others are old but well-maintained.

I don't think it's a bad area, but I would definitely check out the apartment a bit before deciding. I can tell you that the Sullivan Place apartments/condos are very nice, but the other ones I'm not sure about. The Bren Mar apartments/Valley Park condos seem OK from the outside but I've never been in them. I've never been to the Edsall Gardens apartments across the street, though they look a little run-down from the outside.

As for complexes closer to Van Dorn St., I know someone in Edlandria, and they like it there. I know someone in EOS-21 who thinks that place is OK, but has some maintenance issues. I also looked at Cascade at Landmark before moving here and that building seemed nice.
I think the Edsall Garden apartments across the street from the Bren Mar Apartments are subsidized HUD units. I'm all for affordable housing, but those apartments are very undesirable, and attract a not so desirable crowd. Its complexes like that that bring down this area as a whole just a bit. That said, as I mentioned, some of the condo locations are great.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 AM

24 posts, read 77,382 times
Default Kingstowne

Quote:
Thanks again for the replies. I am looking for a 2 bedroom. I do not have to be in the areas I was asking about. I prefer to be anywhere in a 10 miles radius from Manchester Blvd. I was asking about those specific areas because they are cheaper, but it will be worth paying more if those places I asked about are not good quality. I am just confused about the price ranges there. I am used to being able to get a really nice place for $500 in Tennessee, but I see that is not the case in Alexandria.

I rented a nice townhouse in Kingstowne for $2k about three years ago. I think that the area of Kingstowne is very nice (except for some townhomes on or just off Beaulah.

The TH I used to rent was in Jowett Ct. Very nice and safe area and also FFX Co. Public Schools.

If you can afford a bit more, I'd stay away from Edsall Rd. at 395 and look into the Kingstowne area. I'd stay away from Duke Street, especially East of 395/Landmark area although there are some apartments there that used to be called Oakwood (now I think they're called Eos 21 or something like that in front of BJs). Not the nicest apartments, but very convenient.

Kingstonwe is the way to go, though. You may even find a Single Family Home with a back yard in Hayfield Farms for about $2,300 (I own a house there and currently have it rented for $2,200) with the lease expiring in April.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 AM

24 posts, read 77,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post

I'd stay away from Edlandria. I lived there briefly many years ago. I sometimes drive through it just to see how it has changed and if I could, I would not live there again. My aunt and cousin lived in EOS 21 before they converted many of them to condos. I think they are better than Edlandria.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,705 times
Wasn't someone murdered at EOS-21, like, a month ago?

MyFox Washington DC | Police Find Murdered Alexandria Woman's Car (http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8004498&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1 - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 06:08 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaisue View Post

MyFox Washington DC | Police Find Murdered Alexandria Woman's Car (http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8004498&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1 - broken link)
Yep, we've had some serious violent crime issues in 08.

City of Alexandria, Virginia | Alexandria Police Investigate Shooting on South Whiting Street
City of Alexandria, Virginia | Alexandria Police Urge Residents to Take Action Against Larcenies From Autos
City of Alexandria, Virginia | Doctor Arrested for Sodomy; Police Seek More Victims
City of Alexandria, Virginia | Alexandria Police Identify Homicide Victim; Alexandria Police Make Homicide Arrest(2)

The one on S whiting st was not but a stone's throw from my building. Scary

Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 PM

42 posts, read 130,016 times
That sounds scary. I am not used to having to worry so much about something bad happening.

Thanks for all these replies! They are very very helpful. If anyone else thinks there is something I need to know whether it's about crime, recommendations on apartments to rent, or whatever, please leave more comments. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaisue View Post

I remember this. It wasn't a break-in though. Most likely she knew the attacker and that sort of thing can happen anywhere.

Alanboy mentioned the GPS thieves, but they haven't limited themselves to the West End unfortunately. They are all around Arlington and Fairfax Counties as well.

The S Whiting St. shootings that Alanboy mentioned are the biggest concern, but that's a very small part of the West End (and a couple miles away from the 395/Edsall area the original poster was looking at), and I don't think that two isolated incidents really present a violent crime "problem" here. It's up to the original poster to see what she feels comfortable with, of course, but these kinds of events wouldn't stop me from coming to what is, overall, a safe area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia