Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM

65 posts, read 258,732 times

Advertisements

Question: besides federal and state taxes are there any other taxes I will need to worry about when filing this year, I am a new resident, I do not own property, I rent and the only thing I own is my car, do I need to worry about that, will they send me something, I came from Maryland, we didnt have to worry about personal property taxes, so Im concerned. Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
No. The govt gets all their money through withholding from your paycheck. Your car is taxed twice a year and you will get a separate bill for that.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:34 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I assume you registered your car in Va. when you moved? In that case, you would have paid for the period the vehicle was garaged in Va.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 AM

64 posts, read 311,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtoncommuter View Post
Question: besides federal and state taxes are there any other taxes I will need to worry about when filing this year, I am a new resident, I do not own property, I rent and the only thing I own is my car, do I need to worry about that, will they send me something, I came from Maryland, we didnt have to worry about personal property taxes, so Im concerned. Help.
You are going to receive a separate bill for vehicle tax (personal property). If I'm not mistaken the first one will come in a year since you registered your car here and you will have a couple of month to pay it. But don't worry, you don't have to do anything extra on this year return. Next year, when filing taxes for 2009, you can use payment maid for property taxes towards deduction on the amount owed. So, save the bill.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM

147 posts, read 410,266 times
Whatever happened to that movement to do away with the car tax? I haven't lived in Virginia since '93, but I'm coming back soon and was surprised to hear that this tax still exists.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
Whatever happened to that movement to do away with the car tax? I haven't lived in Virginia since '93, but I'm coming back soon and was surprised to hear that this tax still exists.
they have sort of reduced it.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post

What happened is a sleazy candidate for governor tried to convince folks that there IS such a thing as a free lunch.

It worked, but he left a royal fiscal mess for his successors.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Yeah, that was Jim Gilmore. Got elected by screaming No More Car Tax, but didn't have the first clue as to how to do it. Keep in mind that the car tax is a city/county tax...the state isn't really involved. Mark Warner succeeded Gilmore as Governor (and also just crushed him in the 2008 VA Senate race), and it was he who put the car tax phase-out back on track. At the moment, the state pays 70% of the tax for you on about the first $20K of assessed value. You pay the rest. The city or county you owe will send you the bill. The mechanism to get the state portion up to 100% is in place, but the state legislature keeps postponing it, and in the current environment, it will certainly continue to do so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia