Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 12,587 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Alexandria to Woodbridge. There are some nice townhouses in the very inner part of the River Oaks community (close to the Potomac river and away from Rt. 1). The area looks peaceful in the day time, but not sure if it is a safe area and how is the elementary school for that area.

Anyone know? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:45 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
I don't know if it's *safe* or not. I don't think it's dangerous but it is not one of the more desireable neighborhoods to move to.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,425 times
Default Same Boat

Nice TH's in that community but same concerns as you. The Washington Post newspaper has an interesting article about RO. I'll look for the link.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM

The only thing that I don't care for about River Oaks is the whole traveling down the Rt. 1 corridor and having the neighborhood right off Rt. 1. They just can't get that area fixed up and it is congested and something is ALWAYS going out of business. If that doesn't bother you, the individual neighborhoods themselves are probably just fine.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,135,974 times
Not sure how much spills over, but the ghetto town homes in Georgetown and Village Gate are right there too. They are the townhouses closer to route 1. I used to live in Georgetown and it's pretty ghetto. It's been about 15yrs since I've lived there, but I doubt things have gone for the better. I lived there when the River Oaks community was still being built and I was actually in the first 5th grade class to come out of the elementary school.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Not sure how much spills over, but the ghetto town homes in Georgetown and Village Gate are right there too. They are the townhouses closer to route 1. I used to live in Georgetown and it's pretty ghetto. It's been about 15yrs since I've lived there, but I doubt things have gone for the better. I lived there when the River Oaks community was still being built and I was actually in the first 5th grade class to come out of the elementary school.
I agree about those neighborhoods.

This is the problem with the new communities being built off Rt. 1. They are doing their best to make nice communities but you cannot hide from the "eyesore" of Rt. 1. I don't know how much those places affect the new neighborhoods, but you will have to drive through it/past it daily. It's really a shame.

The first place I noticed this was Belmont Bay up by the Occoquan. GREAT location, nice new neighborhood, and it sits back next to an industrial area, train tracks, and the lovely Rt. 1. My mom wanted to buy there but she just could not get past those details. Rippon Landing and River Oaks, and Southbridge are all in the same boat.

A coworker of mine lives in River Oaks and she's very happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia