Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 PM

26 posts, read 76,614 times

Advertisements

I am just trying to get an idea of what my wife and i should do. We currently live in D.C. and pay $1150 for rent. Includes electric but do not have reserved parking. My wife does not work due to a medical problem. I am currently self employed, having started my own business a year ago. Business is really slow the past few months. I have started to look for a full time job to tide us over.

My wife and I have 20K we can put down on a place to buy. We will still have 10K in savings. I have been looking in woodbridge 22192, 22193 and have seen several older townhomes that look nice in the range of 100K or so. I do not mind having to fix some items in the house nor do i mind living in a diverse community. I do hate my car getting keyed and broken into.

My credit is good. Unless i want to be homeless i will have to live somewhere. While the market is down i thought it may be a good idea to buy something. Me and my wife used to live in woodbridge back in 2002-2005 so know the area and i know what to expect from the commute. If i buy an inexpensive home i can put more of my income back into my own business.

Any thoughts. Sorry for the long read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
There are parts of 22192 (Lakeridge, Occoquan) that are generally more expensive than 22193 (primarily Dale City). I know that in 22193 - and I suspect in 22192 - you can find good deals on older homes.

You mentioned a townhouse, but the way the market is, you may be able to find a detached home - with off-street parking, if not a garage - that you'd like and that would fall in the $100K-$140K range. Have you looked at Zillow and/or Realtor.com?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
I live in the 22193 area of Dale City. I live off Cardinal Drive so I'm not truly in Dale City "proper" where the good deals seem to be. A home in my neighborhood just went on the market before Christmas and got a contract in 4 weeks (Yay!!) for the mid-300s. New homes across the street are starting in the 300s. So, it doesn't seem that these are "good deals" but I would imagine that in the alphabet neighborhoods of Dale City (22193) there are many homes in that price range. I would, of course, caution anyone but the desperate to buy there because of the increased crime, parking issues, and general delapidation of that area.

As for 22192 (my mother lives in the Springwoods section in a townhome there). Some parts have not devalued much at all. Her townhome, built in 1998 has held its value extremely well and isn't even approaching the $100K figure. So I am concerned about what areas you might be seeing these deals as there are some that seem fairly seedy (Elysian Woods comes to mind and there are some others off Clipper Drive). I just wouldn't do it.

I know it seems like a good time but if your surroundings even bother you to any degree I think you might be unhappy. But maybe you are okay with putting up with some stuff and it would be fine for you. I know that, with kids, I cannot do it. Not sure how your wife would feel as it sounds like she is home a lot and may be in the midst of it all day.

Having said all that, those areas aren't like the wild, wild West or anything and I wouldn't call them dangerous. I think that you might just be plagued with a lot of petty crime issues.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM

I appreciate the responses. With my wife staying home all day her safety is my number one priority.

I have seen a few properties that look nice for the price. I have not driven to seem then yet. Which i know will give me an idea of the area. If anyone knows anything about these areas feel free to let me know.

13582 Bentley Circle, Woodbridge, VA, 22192 - MLS ID#PW6926534 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/13582-Bentley-Circle_Woodbridge_VA_22192_1104915940 - broken link)

3407 Caledonia Circle, Woodbridge, VA, 22192 - MLS ID#PW6947753 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3407-Caledonia-Circle_Woodbridge_VA_22192_1105697915 - broken link)

12599 Plymouth Court, Woodbridge, VA, 22192 - MLS ID#PW6950086 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/12599-Plymouth-Court_Woodbridge_VA_22192_1105680432 - broken link)

Old 02-07-2009, 09:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
I can count on ChristineVA to come along behind me and trash Dale City. I don't post often, but the quick and negative rebuttal is getting to be something of a trend, and tiresome. I've only been in Dale City for 28 years - what the hell do I know.

Burgers+Beer, from what you said in your post, I suspect that you will be able to find something in either zip code. There's a wide range of types and prices ... within a mile or so of my house, houses have sold within the last few weeks for a little over $100K up to more than $500K.

I think the three townhouses you've found all look fine, and it may be worth your time to go and see them. Best of luck.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Burgers+Beer,

Of the three townhouses you posted, I would probably go with the second link. It seems to be located in the better of the three neighborhoods.

The first link is Rollingwood. This neighborhood is just off Smoketown and Minnieville and is set on the edge of Lynnwood. Lynnwood is very nice and pricey but Rollingwood has had its share of problems over the years. The third link looks to be right off Clipper Drive and parts of that are kind of funky. I can't get a real good feel for the second link but it seems to be in the center of Lake Ridge and mostly in an area where there are a lot more owners versus renters.

As for trashing Dale City, my intention is not to offend any residents (I am one myself). I have lived here for 15 years and am not immune to its flaws. When someone asks my honest opinion, I'm not going to give all the "good" parts and there are some. But I would be not keeping my eyes open if I didn't see the decline in this area and be honest about it. I have several friends and co-workers who have all historically gotten their start in Dale City and for many of the reasons I have listed have moved out. Specifically from Princedale, Hillendale, and Kerrydale. I have one co-worker who is holding out in Kerrydale because she retires in 2010. She is absolutely miserable there. All of the others I have known have stayed in the Woodbridge area but have left Dale City.

On a more positive note, it is not a bad place to get your first start on a home and I know people who are doing that. I would just try to do that someplace else if possible because you just can't tell what kind of "pocket" you will end up in. There are some very nice pockets and one of my son's teachers in one in Evansdale.

I know the lure of prices there is cheap but I think people need to know the score.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 PM

Gene + Christine i appreciate the input. If anyone else has anything to ad feel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia