Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 04:59 PM

9 posts, read 17,651 times

Advertisements

So we're considering a possible move to Fredricksburg from San Diego. Tell me the good and the bad of the area. If you've lived in both places that would be a great comparison.
Are we going to be bored out of our minds? I'm an acct manager and my wife is a nurse, 3 kids (12,6,1). Closest hospital for work and is it highly reputable?
We spend time at the beach (that's out), trail biking offroad, kayaking, season passes to Seaworld, the zoo, wild animal park, 2 yearly trips to Disneyland, water parks, and attend baseball games every year (Padres, Dodgers, and Angels). Kids are involved in volleyball, tennis, baseball, and music.
Don't care for hiking, hunting, fishing, camping...love history so I know that's a plus, but can it make up for the other stuff and the weather that we're gicing up?
Main reasons considering a move - Ca taxes, fees, fuel, housing and schools are out of control, along with the illegal immigrant problem and the state crime rate. Gas $2.29, registration $350 per yr for 2 vehicles, decent home $400k minimum, schools could care less if the kids get an education, let the kids run rampant and disrupt class, sales tax and all fees about to increase making CA one of the highest taxed states in the country (if not THE highest). Crime is everywhere and about to get worse with release of prisoners that state cannot afford to keep locked up.

Maybe I just answered my own question. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,347 times
Well, there's not a whole lot going on there. It's basically a college town with a little historic vibe to it. However, it's not far from where the "action" is. Richmond is about 1 hour away. Kings Dominion, an amusement park is about 40min away, Northern Virginia is about 1 hour away.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 17,651 times
So it's smack in the middle of everything, but you don't have to deal with it on a daily basis? Do you know anything about the hospitals in that area?

Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
This is just north of Fredericksburg and is opening this month.

MediCorp Health System | Stafford Campus

Old 02-19-2009, 04:22 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbluey View Post
So it's smack in the middle of everything, but you don't have to deal with it on a daily basis? Do you know anything about the hospitals in that area?
I wouldn't call it smack in the middle of everything. Fredericksburg is VERY congested and, IMO, not well-designed for local traffic flow. On most summer weekends, getting to your touristy areas is going to be an ordeal. The hospitals in that area as well as Stafford and Woodbridge further north are not where you want to be if you're in serious troubles. The well-respected hospitals are farther north in Fairfax and in DC. I don't know too many people who consider Richmond their main source of fun and King's Dominion amusement park is just okay. Coming from an area such as San Diego, I think you are going to get more of what you want in Northern VA.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM

60 posts, read 182,885 times
I agree. In that area the I-95 Corridor is a beast. Once in a while you can hit it just right but most of the time not! There is always and accident or contruction. If you never have to leave the area of Fredericksburg, it's probably fine. There are some nice neighborhoods in the Dumfries, Lake Ridge, Manassas areas BUT the schools, hospitals, etc. are not as well respected as the areas further North. The best hospital in the area is INOVA Fairfax....really and of the INOVA facilities are good, but Fairfax in particular. If you could find a way to be in NoVA proper, that is the best area and the best schools and hospitals. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia