Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 14,775 times

Advertisements

Hi! Thanks for reading. We may be relocating. My husband may take a job in the Pentagon area. We are looking for a suburb close to the metro with good high schools. We don't mind diversity but we do mind gangs and crime. I have a freshman and sophmore who are both honor students in public high schools and want to keep it that way. My son is currently ranked number 1 in his class. We have been to Manassas before but that was many years ago. However, it was the first town to pop in our heads....but there are six zip codes.If you have other suggestions we are open to them! Please name them.I will pay the info forward.We want to rent in the neighborhood of the public high school we choose then buy. Can anyone name some neighborhood and/or schools that would be good for us?
Thanks so much in advance.

-Where you are working-Pentagon
-How much you are willing to spend on housing-350-375
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate-public transit metro...less than an hour
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Public High School...
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?- We love the suburbs and are flexible.
-Community amenities important to you-Malls, softball and baseball leagues stuff for teenagers to do.
-Pie or cake?
-Cake

Last edited by violetastar1965; 02-19-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Want to make clear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
Manassas isn't going to meet your criteria as it has no quick access to Metro. There is the VRE but I don't think that is going to give you the convenience you need. Manassas schools are okay. Manassas has one of the bigger problems with immigrant issues and, I do believe there is gang-related activity to go along with that. However, Manassas does have some very nice pockets of neighborhoods.

Your best bet is probably going to be Vienna/Oakton (you have Vienna Metro stop there and good schools). There is the Fairfax area which will get you near the Dunn Loring stop. Given your emphasis on schools and Metro, you probably don't want to go any farther out than Fairfax County. You should read some of the threads here on high schools and Fairfax County so you can get a good feel for people's opinions on the schools.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM

281 posts, read 1,009,857 times
$350-375k isn't going to get you much close to the Pentagon. My only suggestion would be out near where I live in South Riding in Loudon County. With the market as it is, you may be able to find a small SFH for that price, but I very much doubt it. You're looking at townhouses/condo's for that price range. You're definitely looking at the suburbs, probably about an hour's drive from the Pentagon.

I don't have children, so my knowledge of the schooling system is limited, but I've heard that the schools in Loudon County are pretty good.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,794,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetastar1965 View Post
Hi! Thanks for reading. We may be relocating. My husband may take a job in the Pentagon area. We are looking for a suburb close to the metro with good high schools. We don't mind diversity but we do mind gangs and crime. I have a freshman and sophmore who are both honor students in public high schools and want to keep it that way. My son is currently ranked number 1 in his class. We have been to Manassas before but that was many years ago. However, it was the first town to pop in our heads....but there are six zip codes. We want to rent in the neighborhood of the public high school we choose then buy. Can anyone name some neighborhood and/or schools that would be good for us?
Thanks so much in advance.

-Where you are working-Pentagon
-How much you are willing to spend on housing-350-375
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate-public transit metro...less than an hour
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Public High School...
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?- We love the suburbs and are flexible.
-Community amenities important to you-Malls, softball and baseball leagues stuff for teenagers to do.
-Pie or cake?
-Cake
West Springfield, Burke in a nutshell. More than likely you'll be in a townhome for that pricing range.

I'd forget about Manassas, being very far from the Pentagon.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Your best bet is probably going to be Vienna/Oakton (you have Vienna Metro stop there and good schools). There is the Fairfax area which will get you near the Dunn Loring stop. Given your emphasis on schools and Metro, you probably don't want to go any farther out than Fairfax County. You should read some of the threads here on high schools and Fairfax County so you can get a good feel for people's opinions on the schools.

Yes, but Fairfax county is expensive. I can't imagine getting anything other than a townhome for that price in Fairfax county, and it would be an older, smaller townhome at that.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Yes, but Fairfax county is expensive. I can't imagine getting anything other than a townhome for that price in Fairfax county, and it would be an older, smaller townhome at that.
I agree. I did not read the poster's ENTIRE e-mail (the bottom italics portions). That is a major flaw of mine. Yes, for that price range, your getting farther out.

I live in Woodbridge, housing is very depressed; however, a home in my neighborhood just sold for about $350,000. It is 2500 square feet, a not-so-great school zoning setup, and nowhere near a Metro.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:06 AM

There are a couple of houses in South Riding that I've seen in that price range. They're smaller, but still relatively new and in a nice neighborhood. Although, I fear most of them are either short sales or foreclosures. There are a couple like this one - http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-SOUTH+RIDING-SOUTH+RIDING-VA-MRIS-LO6937557 (broken link)

It's not too bad to get to the Vienna Metro from where we are. It takes about 20mins at 6:30am, then it's not too far to ride to the Pentagon.

Anyone care to weigh in on the high schools in Loudon county? I've heard good things about Freedom High School...

Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 AM

Thank you .

Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,929,579 times
I'd look in Burke or Springfield. You'd almost certainly be in a townhouse for under $400K, but the schools are much better than anything you'll find in Manassas. There are a lot of Pentagon employees living in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia