U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
 
161 posts, read 390,194 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

Hello all...
i bought a SFH in 08....and at the time, i had to pay the Private Mortgage Insurance....I bought the place for about 375k, it appraised for 385k by an appraiser that i was told is very strict. my assessment for 08 was for 460k and in 09, it's down to 375k.

i wanted to know if someone can tell me what the criteria is for getting rid of the PMI. (something like 20% equity...right? is there a time constraint before i can apply?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 AM
 
12,014 posts, read 14,004,346 times
Reputation: 8160
I think the deal is that as long as you have 20% equity, you could get rid of it. You would have to pay to get the appraisal, although I think some places were waving that and looking at county appraisals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
 
9,734 posts, read 9,033,715 times
Reputation: 6387
You need 20% equity to qualify to cancel your PMI. You can do this at ANY TIME. Years ago, legislation was passed that your PMI was supposed to automatically be cancelled once you paid down your loan to get the 20% threshold. Before, people continued to pay for PMI eventhough they were eligible to cancel it and PMI had no interest in telling you since it was free money for them.

The only way to cancel PMI for you NOW is to refinance. You will need to get a first trust for 80% of your mortgage and a second trust for the remaining 20%. PMI is only paid to the holder of your first trust so by having a mortgage for 80% of your first mortgage, you are not required to purchase PMI.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
 
80 posts, read 305,278 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You need 20% equity to qualify to cancel your PMI. You can do this at ANY TIME. Years ago, legislation was passed that your PMI was supposed to automatically be cancelled once you paid down your loan to get the 20% threshold. Before, people continued to pay for PMI eventhough they were eligible to cancel it and PMI had no interest in telling you since it was free money for them.

The only way to cancel PMI for you NOW is to refinance. You will need to get a first trust for 80% of your mortgage and a second trust for the remaining 20%. PMI is only paid to the holder of your first trust so by having a mortgage for 80% of your first mortgage, you are not required to purchase PMI.
Many major banks won't offer loans when there is a second mortgage involved now. I think Virginia has a special deal with a second mortgage for the closing costs but I'm not sure they'll cover 20%. It might only be for the closing costs in FHA loans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:53 PM
 
161 posts, read 390,194 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You need 20% equity to qualify to cancel your PMI. You can do this at ANY TIME. Years ago, legislation was passed that your PMI was supposed to automatically be cancelled once you paid down your loan to get the 20% threshold. Before, people continued to pay for PMI eventhough they were eligible to cancel it and PMI had no interest in telling you since it was free money for them.

The only way to cancel PMI for you NOW is to refinance. You will need to get a first trust for 80% of your mortgage and a second trust for the remaining 20%. PMI is only paid to the holder of your first trust so by having a mortgage for 80% of your first mortgage, you are not required to purchase PMI.
nicely explained! thank you.

as i mentioned, i put down 10% and i've done home improvements since then.....should i do an appraisal? MUST i refi? i read somewhere that there is a 2 year minimum wait time before you can get rid of PMI. is that correct?

anyone have any personal exp. with this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
 
80 posts, read 305,278 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-BIG-NOTHING View Post
nicely explained! thank you.

as i mentioned, i put down 10% and i've done home improvements since then.....should i do an appraisal? MUST i refi? i read somewhere that there is a 2 year minimum wait time before you can get rid of PMI. is that correct?

anyone have any personal exp. with this?
Honestly, I'd call the bank and ask. I spoke to three different banks and got three different answers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Sterling, VA
1,059 posts, read 2,790,838 times
Reputation: 632
You bought the home for $375,000 with 10% down, leaving you a mortgage of $337,500. Your home would have to appraise now at approx. $422,00 for you to ask the lender to drop the PMI. Do you think it will appraise at that since you bought it in 2008? Unless you have done major work such as adding another bedroom and a full bath or a 2 car garage where there was none the value will not have gone up enough in 1 year for you to refi. But, as the previous poster noted, call your lender and ask.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
 
161 posts, read 390,194 times
Reputation: 42
i called Wells fargo.....

they said that my loan to value ratio is 89.9 and it'll have to be 75% before they'll get rid of PMI.

they said i have two options: pay 37k to bring down the ratio to 75% (the math makes no sense...i think he's made an error.)
OR
appraise (pay them 300 for an appraisal) and hope that it'll assess for 453k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
 
9,734 posts, read 9,033,715 times
Reputation: 6387
I doubt a house purchased in 2008 will appraise HIGHER regardless of the improvements. Most appraisers will ignore anything that is NOT new structural improvements (garage, deck, bathroom, additional bedroom).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top