U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 AM

3,649 posts, read 9,057,637 times

Advertisements

O.K. - so I have gotten a negative rep. talking about how I cant make real friends here, rudeness, and all the money I have lost on my house.
Soooo - I decided to start a thread on all that is positive about NOVA as compared to other states -

1. Beautiful parks and trees and lakes
2. County rec. centers and plenty of events to go to on weekends
3. Low home taxes and auto insurance (yes, really)
4. Highly rated schools
5. Mostly well built home, lots of them made of brick
6. Less corruption (I come from NJ)
7. Access to D.C. and all the different things to do
8. Seems to be more recession-proof than other areas
9. Less regulation on everything

Anyone else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,196,968 times
I like Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. The people are friendly there.

Fairfax County police officers are very nice, too. Very professional people, from what I've seen.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM

241 posts, read 954,125 times
  • better jobs (more choices as well as higher salaries)
  • lovely weather (we get all the seasons )
  • diversity ( some ppl may not consider it a good point, but I do)

Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 PM

26,370 posts, read 39,387,229 times
- Some careers you can only have in DC (sadly)
- Great public schools
- History (Coming from someone who lived down near the Yorktown and Jamestown settlements)
- Public transportation
- Better economy than most areas

That was easier than i thought.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 PM

8,647 posts, read 20,033,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
- Some careers you can only have in DC (sadly)
- Great public schools
- History (Coming from someone who lived down near the Yorktown and Jamestown settlements)
- Public transportation
- Better economy than most areas

That was easier than i thought.
I'm proud of you, man.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM

179 posts, read 437,450 times
I'm new, but here are a few of my additions to the list:

1. It's a convenient place to travel from; Europe and the entire eastern seaboard of the US are so accessible from here. Whether you want to go to Paris or Savannah or NYC, it's a lot easier to do here than it is from the west coast.

2. I find the people here to be smart/better informed. I sometimes find myself listening to conversations that other diners are having when I'm out at dinner because their topics are so interesting regardless of your social or political leanings.

3. NOVA is aesthetically beautiful and lush.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM

993 posts, read 2,385,661 times
All my family and fiancee lives there

Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM

4,000 posts, read 7,474,939 times
  1. Lots of jobs no matter your career field, and a lower unemployment rate compared to the national rate.
  2. 4 real seasons, with a mild winter
  3. No real natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, wildfires etc. All we have to worry about is the impending nuclear fallout
  4. A mixing pot of cultures. You can easily have pupusas for breakfast, Pho for lunch and then Bulgogi for dinner and never leave the town you're in.
  5. NOVA is still very lush and green. I've been to some cities where there is way to much concrete. There has been a lot of development though so a lot of the wooded lots aren't there anymore...

Old 03-12-2009, 08:54 AM

259 posts, read 793,595 times
coming from an nyc perspective... the customer service here is phenomenal!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 27,870,073 times
1. There are so many parks and trails, especially along the Potomac. Greenery is so dense that you quickly feel you've gotten away from the city.

2. Excellent area for kayaking.

3. Interesting neighbors. I like talking to people who read books and have intelligent opinions. Some people say NOVA is unfriendly, but my experience has been exactly the opposite. The people I've met have been very friendly. I guess it differs depending on the neighborhood.

4. All the benefits of access to DC without having to live in DC. The Smithsonian museums are awesome... and free! In fact, a lot of things around here are free. You take it for granted until you try living somehwere else. It's unusually easy to entertain yourself for little or no cost around here.

5. Top notch health care. I have lymphoma, and I also have homes in two different states. I go out of my way to schedule all my doctor visits for when I'm in Virginia.

6. Travel hub to the world. You can fly anywhere from here.

7. Economic health of the region, especially now that stem cell research is exploding (huge news for the new Janelia Research Center).

8. You get all four seasons, but no weather extremes. Winter is relatively mild.

9. Cherry trees and Virginia bluebells. In just a few more weeks the forest floors will be covered with bluebells. Take a hike along the Potomac to see them, they're a real treat. Riverbend Park is my favorite spot for this.

10. Diversity. So many different kinds of people live here. All sorts of cultures, not to mention the mix of southern and northern. (And western, since a huge number of Californians have moved here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia