Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM

12 posts, read 47,581 times

Advertisements

My husband was recently relocated to NOVA and working in chantilly. We have been actively searching for a home since Jan. we are being directed and advised to look into south riding and/or ashburn (mostly south riding). I work currently at home but will eventually look for employement outside the home. Currently we live in Fairfax and love the convenience and the ability to be into DC quickly. Not sure if we will have that in either of those places. The catch 22 is, that we both prefer the newer homes, want it all and don't want to pay for it. Looked at short sales, most are horrible with bugs and dirt everywhere. I am not looking to spend more then 500,000 on a home. I am not into the whole suburbia thing but it looks like that is what is here. We have a child so school and neighborhood is important. Any advise regarding any thoughts on those areas would be greatly appreciated. I want to know what everyone thinks of these neighborhoods. I mostly like Broadlands and South Riding. My issue with Ashburn is that it just seems out there. Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 11,778 times
To me, South Riding is so "down there." It's often forgotten about as being part of LoCo. IMHO, it would have even less character than Ashburn since it's newer. I've taught in Ashburn for over a decade. My husband and I were recently married and we're looking to buy a place together here. I'm not at all concerned about any "bad" areas or "bad" schools. All of the neighborhoods are great as are the schools.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,918 times
How much home do you want for your money? There are plenty of nice homes in South Riding for $500k or less. I also think that your money may go further in South Riding than in Broadlands (but that's just an assumption on my part - I could be wrong).

25532 CUNARD ALY SOUTH RIDING CHANTILLY VA - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-SOUTH+RIDING-CHANTILLY-VA-MRIS-LO6999934 - broken link)
25889 PINEBLUFF DR SOUTH RIDING CHANTILLY VA - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-SOUTH+RIDING-CHANTILLY-VA-MRIS-LO6854368 - broken link)
26226 OCALA CIR SOUTH RIDING SOUTH RIDING VA - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-SOUTH+RIDING-SOUTH+RIDING-VA-MRIS-LO6958359 - broken link)

Although, if you're not into the "whole suburbia thing" then neither South Riding nor Broadlands will be a good for you. If I were looking for a nice, quiet, friendly and clean neighborhood to raise my child, I would definitely look in South Riding. If I were looking for an urban experience, I'd be looking for a condo in Clarendon. The choice is yours. I hate to break it to you, but you can't "have it all" without paying for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: