Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,695 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm about to start a new job in Bethesda and wondering what is the best route to commute from Ashburn Village. Would it be Route 7 to 495 or Toll Road to 495? How much the toll is going to cost me? I heard the greenway is expensive. I'm also thinking of taking a bus from Lansdowne to West Falls Church and ride metro into Washington DC on Orange line and switch to the Red line to Bethesda station. It will probably cost me 2 hours at very least each way! However, driving will probably take the same amount of time in traffic.

Is there anybody here who commute to Bethesda from Loudoun area? Let's car pool

BB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:54 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'm new here so please pardon my ignorance, but are there really no bridges across the Potomac between I-495 and Point of Rocks, MD? Living in North Reston it would open up a world of opportunity for me to be able to cross a bridge from, per se, Great Falls, VA over to Potomac, MD.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm new here so please pardon my ignorance, but are there really no bridges across the Potomac between I-495 and Point of Rocks, MD? Living in North Reston it would open up a world of opportunity for me to be able to cross a bridge from, per se, Great Falls, VA over to Potomac, MD.

Yes, there really are only the two bridges, and complicating it further the Point of Rocks bridge can't be widened because of a historic constraint (civil war site).

The debate about building another bridge has been raging for decades, but every time they think they've found a site on the Virginia side that could possibly work, they can't find a reasonable way to connect it to the Maryland side. And vice versa. Not only do they have NIMBY problems, but there are historic civil war sites up and down the river that cannot be touched. The best route, IMO, would be continuing Rt 28 all the way to the river and then crossing there. But fat chance that's ever going to happen!

If you get sick of the bridges, you can always try crossing the river using White's Ferry. But IMO that takes even longer.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Isn't there a VRE station near Point of Rocks? Maybe that would be the smarter route (cross the river on Rt. 15, and take VRE). Just a wild guess, I've never tried this commute.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
In Maryland, it's the MARC Train, not VRE. The problem with taking White's Ferry across is that you then have to come down I-270 along with everyone else commuting into the city from Germantown, Gaithersburg, Rockville and points beyone. I think your best bet is the Toll Road to 495. That's how my co-worker from Reston commutes to Rockville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia