Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times

Advertisements

Yeh I know what you're thinking: .

But honestly, this past weekend when I was driving to and from Richmond I decided to do 50 to 29 to 17 to 95 just to do a bit of exploring. I was shocked at how quickly it becomes rural in this area. Furthermore, I'd like to add that when I first drove down 66 for job interviews, I was equally surprised at how quickly things become rural (essentially western Loudoun).

I don't know, I had always assumed with millions of people metro area, there'd be all this sprawl that spanned the entire Northern part of the state, but in reality, (with I-95 corridor as an exception), urban and suburban/urban development of the DC area really only seems to go about a 25 mile radius outside of the beltway.

Specifically, I was shocked how Fauquier is so rural, yet still pretty close, with only 65,000 people or so. With telecommuting being a big thing, you'd think more people might take advantage of "rural DC area living."

Anyway, just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
uhhh I think Haymarket is the furthest western suburb about 37 miles out.

When I visit my sister in Altanta, there is not much civilization 30 miles out, let alone 37 miles out. Sprawl around here is ridiculous.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
uhhh I think Haymarket is the furthest western suburb about 37 miles out.

When I visit my sister in Altanta, there is not much civilization 30 miles out, let alone 37 miles out. Sprawl around here is ridiculous.
Haymarket is 25 miles from I-495 per google maps. Did you read my post about where I said it's basically a 25 mile radius from the beltway? So if it's Haymarket, then it seems like I'm on target.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM

200 posts, read 560,614 times
That's the nice thing about this area that you can get to the woods quite quickly and it's so green!

You will be surprised about the traffic though!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
It certainly depends on one's perspective. As an Alexandria resident, my reference point would mean a longer ride outward.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Yes, for a County such as large on a map as Fauquier Co., it has a surprisingly low population. They must have strict zoning laws there, compared with Prince William Co.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,316,670 times
Yes, sprawl is not an issue in Nova. The area is tiny, just 300 times the land mass of manhattan.

This thread will just encourage people to live farther out. What seems so close on a random off hour seems like it might as well be living in New York and commuting to DC by train. While telecommuting has helped reduce the number of hours one has to be in the office, very few positions are completely relieved of travel and commuting. More than ever having a face to face experience with clients is becoming the standard. If you are pure technical, you could get away with it, but I assure you, you will be making less than those who do come to the office, will be the first to get the axe in downturns, and the first to be overlooked for promotions.

But then again, I'm about as far biased against sprawl ... insert topical political humor here.
(wasnt that a funny joke and so timely!)

Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
One time I was flying down to IAD, and I looked out the window and all I could see were cu-da-sacks. I thought, geez what is this like a giant neighborhood!????

Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Yes, sprawl is not an issue in Nova. The area is tiny, just 300 times the land mass of manhattan.

This thread will just encourage people to live farther out. What seems so close on a random off hour seems like it might as well be living in New York and commuting to DC by train. While telecommuting has helped reduce the number of hours one has to be in the office, very few positions are completely relieved of travel and commuting. More than ever having a face to face experience with clients is becoming the standard. If you are pure technical, you could get away with it, but I assure you, you will be making less than those who do come to the office, will be the first to get the axe in downturns, and the first to be overlooked for promotions.

But then again, I'm about as far biased against sprawl ... insert topical political humor here.
(wasnt that a funny joke and so timely!)
While I've come to understand your hatred for those that commute daily from Loudoun (and other exterior counties) into DC or the closer counties, this particular post seems to show distaste for those that may even do this occasionally (one or two days a week, perhaps)?

What emperical data do you have to support the idea that those who telecommute will be the first to be fired or overlooked for a promotion? Can I assume, along with your engineering and techincal savvy, you are also an HR expert?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
While I've come to understand your hatred for those that commute daily from Loudoun (and other exterior counties) into DC or the closer counties, this particular post seems to show distaste for those that may even do this occasionally (one or two days a week, perhaps)?

What emperical data do you have to support the idea that those who telecommute will be the first to be fired or overlooked for a promotion? Can I assume, along with your engineering and techincal savvy, you are also an HR expert?
You might be reading the forum way too much to notice that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia