Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article today. Apparently DC and NOVA are the trendy new places to shoot tv shows and movies. There are 8 "beltway" tv shows in the works right now, and the crews are scouting out places to shoot local scenery to add those little touches of "reality."

LOL, yeah right... like shooting a few scenes at Great Falls Natl. Park is going to make a bunch of oh-so-pretty 20-somethings play-acting at being freshman congressmen seem believable! I'm not sure if that deserves a or a

But who cares if it's realistic or not, I'm looking forward to seeing shots from around the area. (Although I reserve the right to gripe if they cause traffic problems...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
I always find it funny when shows are based in this area, but everything looks like Southern California. NCIS is one of them.

They're probably just going to shoot b-roll stuff.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I always find it funny when shows are based in this area, but everything looks like Southern California. NCIS is one of them.

They're probably just going to shoot b-roll stuff.
True, even that scene they shot a few weeks back, where they blew up the boat near the Key Bridge. Somehow they managed to make the Potomac River look like a place in California, I don't know why they didn't just shoot it there.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
I like to watch shows allegedly set in DC and find the inaccuracies. Like in National Treasure II (my kids and I met Nicolas Cage while they were filming here), they want to sneak into the Oval Office, so they see an ad in the Washington Post and BUY tickets for three adults. When the reality is you have to wait overnight in line, or more recently attempt to order online, plus you need to have at least one child 10 or under and no more than two adults in the group.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
I hope they don't try to film in Reston Town Center -- that would draw even more "posers" there!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Hmmm, RTC could be a magnet for them you know. There's a Trader Joes just down the street and film crews can't get enough of that store.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I like to watch shows allegedly set in DC and find the inaccuracies. Like in National Treasure II (my kids and I met Nicolas Cage while they were filming here), they want to sneak into the Oval Office, so they see an ad in the Washington Post and BUY tickets for three adults. When the reality is you have to wait overnight in line, or more recently attempt to order online, plus you need to have at least one child 10 or under and no more than two adults in the group.
LOL, I remember when West Wing was shooting in Middleburg. They tried to claim this tiny little field was the site of the Gold Cup!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:39 PM

240 posts, read 221,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
The funny one I remember was some Kevin Costner film from about 10 years ago where he hopped on the Metro at Georgetown! The metro stop had a huge sign that said Georgetown Metro stop!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:44 PM

26 posts, read 58,312 times
I like NCIS but it doesn't seem like they even try to make it look like the DC area anymore. I can't count the number of times I've seen California hill country in the background. Not to mention the fact that they roll back and forth between DC and Norfolk as if they were 10 minutes apart instead of several hours (without traffic) :

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeitz View Post
The funny one I remember was some Kevin Costner film from about 10 years ago where he hopped on the Metro at Georgetown! The metro stop had a huge sign that said Georgetown Metro stop!

That was "No Way Out" (1987)...and I was an extra in it! But it was just a crowd scene, so I never got my big break in Hollywood! LOL

The scene I was in was shot on the Concourse (where the stores are in the Pentagon), and it was amazing how it took all day to shoot about 20 seconds of the movie....like 10+ takes. The scene was of people walking around on the Concourse (I was a walker) and Costner comes running out of Corridor 10 by the cafeteria, onto the Concourse, and runs into a phone booth and makes a call....CUT! That was it. Even that scene was not completely authentic, although it was shot in the Pentagon.....that phone booth was a prop, there was really a mail box normally at that spot (next to the florist shop).

I'll never understand why they went to all the expense to shoot that scene on location when it easily could have been done on a set anywhere.

And a lot of the other supposed Pentagon scenes were NOT shot there, which was immediately obvious to all of us long-time employees at the 5-sided puzzle palace!

Last edited by car54; 04-24-2009 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia