Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 15,514 times

Advertisements

so, ive seen a lot of threads like this, so hopefully you guys can help me out... i may have a job offering at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church for really good pay... my concern is, im from west virginia, small town (census pop. in 2000 of 1200 people) and was curious about the area... my company will more than likely board me within the city, close to the hospital, so i was wondering about the town itself, im sure its not SMALL, but im not really a big town watch my back when i walk out the door type of person...

thanx ahead of time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
For Falls Church, it depends whether or not you're in the city of Falls Church or the outskirts. Northern Virginia is screwy in the sense that there are very few defined towns but rather many unincorporated communities that sort of bleed together into a giant suburban blob. The actual city of Falls Church is fairly small, both in size and population and is one of the few areas in Northern Virginia to have some semblance of a downtown and a bit of character in terms of people, architecture, etc. as opposed to the homogenous sprawl that defines much of the area. Falls Church is older and quiet and is in a great location with two Metro stations nearby (although I don't think either are technically within the city limits) and you're only some 8 miles or so from DC. You're also relatively close to the nightlife of Arlington and the shopping at Tysons Corner. A commute to Crystal City via Metro should run around 30 minutes door-to-door since a transfer would be required at Arlington. Housing is pretty expensive there, but if you can afford it, it's a terrific place to live.

Now the tricky part is the fact that many other parts of Fairfax County including INOVA Fairfax Hospital, have a Falls Church mailing address in spite of not being within the city, and these areas are different from the city itself partially due to the bizarre classification of cities/communities in Virginia, and also partially for marketing purposes (particularly when selling homes) since Falls Church has a better reputation than the area's "true" location. These other areas are more sprawly, ugly, and gritty. Places like Merrifield (which is roughly where Fairfax Hospital lies, some 4 miles or so outside of the city of Falls Church), Seven Corners and Bailey's Crossroads I believe all at times will use Falls Church addresses. If choosing between these communities and those within the city limits, I'd say choose Falls Church if you can afford it or have a choice in the matter. However, the area around Fairfax Hospital isn't bad by any means, just a little further out, a little less character, a little uglier and older (not in the cutesy Victorian sense, but more in the peeling paint sense).

Living in the DC area will be an adjustment for someone from a small town. I think Falls Church offers a few of the amenities of small town living but really it's more like a slightly urban/suburban cohesive neighborhood than it is a small town. The area as a whole is pretty fast-paced and the people can be gruff. There is very little crime in either Falls Church or the area around Fairfax Hospital. However, just as living in any urban area, you do have to just exercise basic street smarts. You're not likely to be the victim of a drive-by or even mugged living here, but it's just smart to always be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors (home and car), and to use some common sense.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 12,368 times
HI - I appreciate your information. Possibly going to work in Falls Church too. I'm from PA. I am married and will be coming with our 15 year old son. He is in need of special needs / intermittent educational choices for high school. Any comments on best places to rent to be near a good school for him? We adopted him at age 8 and he is a bit behind. More like 4 - 6th grade, but his age needs him in high school. I'm going to start making calls tomorrow. We own a house up here and will put that up for rent for now. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyVA View Post
HI - I appreciate your information. Possibly going to work in Falls Church too. I'm from PA. I am married and will be coming with our 15 year old son. He is in need of special needs / intermittent educational choices for high school. Any comments on best places to rent to be near a good school for him? We adopted him at age 8 and he is a bit behind. More like 4 - 6th grade, but his age needs him in high school. I'm going to start making calls tomorrow. We own a house up here and will put that up for rent for now. Thanks.
What is your housing budget? Unless you're from the Philadelphia area, and possibly even then, rents in Northern Virginia may leave you with a bit of sticker shock. People here often find they have to compromise between a convenient commute and affordable housing.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
For Falls Church, it depends whether or not you're in the city of Falls Church or the outskirts. Northern Virginia is screwy in the sense that there are very few defined towns but rather many unincorporated communities that sort of bleed together into a giant suburban blob. The actual city of Falls Church is fairly small, both in size and population and is one of the few areas in Northern Virginia to have some semblance of a downtown and a bit of character in terms of people, architecture, etc. as opposed to the homogenous sprawl that defines much of the area. Falls Church is older and quiet and is in a great location with two Metro stations nearby (although I don't think either are technically within the city limits) and you're only some 8 miles or so from DC. You're also relatively close to the nightlife of Arlington and the shopping at Tysons Corner. A commute to Crystal City via Metro should run around 30 minutes door-to-door since a transfer would be required at Arlington. Housing is pretty expensive there, but if you can afford it, it's a terrific place to live.

Now the tricky part is the fact that many other parts of Fairfax County including INOVA Fairfax Hospital, have a Falls Church mailing address in spite of not being within the city, and these areas are different from the city itself partially due to the bizarre classification of cities/communities in Virginia, and also partially for marketing purposes (particularly when selling homes) since Falls Church has a better reputation than the area's "true" location. These other areas are more sprawly, ugly, and gritty. Places like Merrifield (which is roughly where Fairfax Hospital lies, some 4 miles or so outside of the city of Falls Church), Seven Corners and Bailey's Crossroads I believe all at times will use Falls Church addresses. If choosing between these communities and those within the city limits, I'd say choose Falls Church if you can afford it or have a choice in the matter. However, the area around Fairfax Hospital isn't bad by any means, just a little further out, a little less character, a little uglier and older (not in the cutesy Victorian sense, but more in the peeling paint sense).

Living in the DC area will be an adjustment for someone from a small town. I think Falls Church offers a few of the amenities of small town living but really it's more like a slightly urban/suburban cohesive neighborhood than it is a small town. The area as a whole is pretty fast-paced and the people can be gruff. There is very little crime in either Falls Church or the area around Fairfax Hospital. However, just as living in any urban area, you do have to just exercise basic street smarts. You're not likely to be the victim of a drive-by or even mugged living here, but it's just smart to always be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors (home and car), and to use some common sense.
Excellent post. dullnboring knows his/her stuff.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:08 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
I have heard only good things about Falls Church City.
As far as the rest of Falls Church, I had to drive into it a few weeks ago and hope I never need to go back. I felt like I needed the most severe shower, even just being in the car. "Gritty" is a good but polite description. This is the only term that is accurate so I have to use it: Lots of low-life individuals hanging about. And English? Are we supposed to be able to speak English in this country? Wouldn't know it, there.

Surely I'll get jumped on by the more liberal posters, but I think throwing all opinions out there is the only way to help someone make an informed decision. What I saw was what I saw. That's not my fault, it's the fault of whoever's running Falls Church (again, not the City of FC).

Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I have heard only good things about Falls Church City.
As far as the rest of Falls Church, I had to drive into it a few weeks ago and hope I never need to go back. I felt like I needed the most severe shower, even just being in the car. "Gritty" is a good but polite description. This is the only term that is accurate so I have to use it: Lots of low-life individuals hanging about. And English? Are we supposed to be able to speak English in this country? Wouldn't know it, there.

Surely I'll get jumped on by the more liberal posters, but I think throwing all opinions out there is the only way to help someone make an informed decision. What I saw was what I saw. That's not my fault, it's the fault of whoever's running Falls Church (again, not the City of FC).
It doesn't make much sense to talk about driving "into" the "rest of Falls Church," since that area covers a lot of ground and multiple zip codes (22041, 22042, 22043, 22044 and part of 22046). Did you drive around all these areas? The Lake Barcroft area in 22041 and 22044 has one of the highest concentration of 1950s contemporary homes in the entire DC metropolitan region. The part of Falls Church in 22043 that borders McLean in 22043 is, for the most part, every bit as upscale as the City of Falls Church, with many new homes. The Sleepy Hollow area in 22044 is a mature, comfortable suburb.

My guess is that you probably drove into one heavily Hispanic part of Fairfax County with a Falls Church mailing address, most likely near Seven Corners or Bailey's Crossroads. And I doubt you made any effort to speak with anyone there to find out whether, or how well, any of the residents spoke English before deciding that they were "low-life individuals."

It does no one any good to paint all of the county neighborhoods with Falls Church mailing addresses with the same broad brush, just because you got spooked by a single car trip. It's the same type of misleading over-generalization that people who live in neighborhoods in Loudoun with a Sterling mailing address have to listen to over and over again, just because someone decided a block or two in Sterling Park was too "barrio" for their own tastes.

Last edited by JD984; 04-27-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
And I doubt you made any effort to speak with anyone there to find out whether, or how well, any of the residents spoke English before deciding that they were "low-life individuals."
You need to have a conversation w/ someone before you can assume they are pretty low-life?

No, you just need to look at how they appear, act, etc.

And you are insinuating ("I doubt you made any effort...") that I should have indeed struck up some kind of verbal relationship w/ these folks. What on earth for? I was in and around the area for quite a bit that day, that is what I've observed,
I have freedom of speech and thought as an American citizen to make that observation. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
You need to have a conversation w/ someone before you can assume they are pretty low-life?

No, you just need to look at how they appear, act, etc.

And you are insinuating ("I doubt you made any effort...") that I should have indeed struck up some kind of verbal relationship w/ these folks. What on earth for? I was in and around the area for quite a bit that day, that is what I've observed,
I have freedom of speech and thought as an American citizen to make that observation. Thanks!
The larger point here is that you failed to recognize that there are many different types of neighborhoods in parts of Fairfax County with Falls Church addresses (outside the City of Falls Church) and also appeared happy to size a bunch of people up apparently based on little more than their physical appearance. Either you have special skills or you're quick to rush to judgment.

Of course, you have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean your remarks can't be challenged. It's certainty useful for someone making inquiries about Falls Church to learn that there's a difference between the City of Falls Church and the county neighborhoods with Falls Church addresses and that the latter include some comparatively "gritty" areas. On the other hand, it's affirmatively misleading to imply all the county neighborhoods with Falls Church addresses fall in that category.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
lol, if they look spanish they must not speak any english. just like my girlfriend, who was born and raised in honduras but is fluent in both spanish and english
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: