Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times

Advertisements

Raytheon has announced that in addition to moving white collar operations to Loudoun, they are now also going to move a large manufacturing facility there as well. They are currently looking for an 80,000 sf building somewhere within a one-mile radius of the Ashburn site.

In addition, Ignite Research Institute has proposed building a large genetics research facility near Leesburg. From what I hear, the project may be connected with the George Mason University campus. That would be quite a boon for students at the Loudoun campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Raytheon has announced that in addition to moving white collar operations to Loudoun, they are now also going to move a large manufacturing facility there as well. They are currently looking for an 80,000 sf building somewhere within a one-mile radius of the Ashburn site.

In addition, Ignite Research Institute has proposed building a large genetics research facility near Leesburg. From what I hear, the project may be connected with the George Mason University campus. That would be quite a boon for students at the Loudoun campus.
This is great news! Loudoun needs to expand its corporate tax base.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Why this is good news on the employment front for certain, do you all think Leesburg is destined to become another major employment center along the lines of the Dulles Tech Corridor, Bethesda, Tyson's, etc.? If so, then once pastoral villages like Lucketts, Lovettsville, and even the WV Eastern Panhandle are going to become easily annexed into contiguous development in NoVA, are they not? While I don't want to start another dispute, I just wanted to say that this would be a terrible thing to occur, as I consider the gorgeous verdant vistas we saw in Northwestern Loudoun County to be too pristine to permit to fall to developers. I can't wait to scope out the wineries, but I won't be making it a habit of seeing them if that part of Loudoun loses its rustic charm and quaintness.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Why this is good news on the employment front for certain, do you all think Leesburg is destined to become another major employment center along the lines of the Dulles Tech Corridor, Bethesda, Tyson's, etc.? If so, then once pastoral villages like Lucketts, Lovettsville, and even the WV Eastern Panhandle are going to become easily annexed into contiguous development in NoVA, are they not? While I don't want to start another dispute, I just wanted to say that this would be a terrible thing to occur, as I consider the gorgeous verdant vistas we saw in Northwestern Loudoun County to be too pristine to permit to fall to developers. I can't wait to scope out the wineries, but I won't be making it a habit of seeing them if that part of Loudoun loses its rustic charm and quaintness.
Well, the stretch of Route 7 between Sterling and Leesburg already has the George Washington University campus, Janelia Farm, Lansdowne, etc., with One Loudoun and possibly Kincora coming down the pike. It sounds like this new genetic research institute will probably be in that area. Eastern Loudoun and Western Loudoun are very different, and they are zoned and managed as such. There will still be plenty of rural scenery to enjoy. Especially if Catoctin County ever happens.

ETA: Actually, if the genetic research facility is connected with the George Mason campus, then it will be further south in my neck of the woods - Brambleton/Arcola.

Last edited by cdmurphy; 04-30-2009 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Wrote 'George Mason' when I meant 'George Washington'

Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Well, the stretch of Route 7 between Sterling and Leesburg already has the George Washington University campus, Janelia Farm, Lansdowne, etc., with One Loudoun and possibly Kincora coming down the pike. It sounds like this new genetic research institute will probably be in that area. Eastern Loudoun and Western Loudoun are very different, and they are zoned and managed as such. There will still be plenty of rural scenery to enjoy. Especially if Catoctin County ever happens.

ETA: Actually, if the genetic research facility is connected with the George Mason campus, then it will be further south in my neck of the woods - Brambleton/Arcola.
I think urban growth boundaries to the north and west of Leesburg would be a much better option to pursue than the radical formation of a new county. Route 7 between Leesburg and Arlington is already one continuous stretch of urbanized development, and I shudder at the thought of that continuing on up and past Leesburg to swallow Lovettsville, Lucketts, Purcellville, the wine country, etc. That area is just downright gorgeous (expect photo tours of those communities next month and/or in June), but it is very, very threatened by development right now. If Loudoun County wants to preserve that quaint flair that it has in the western half of the county, then it must designate areas for conservation and indicate where it will be appropriate to permit future growth to occur.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:19 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
The area near Lucketts will probably not see much development. The reason is they can't widen the 15 because it is a historic area (Civil War).

I'm delighted to see Loudoun attracting so many research centers. That's my favorite sort of business to attract.

Last edited by normie; 04-30-2009 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The area near Lucketts will probably not see much development. The reason is they can't widen the 15 because it is a historic area (Civil War).

I'm delighted to see Loudoun attracting so many research centers. That's my favorite sort of business to attract.
Well that's good news then. I was unaware that much of the area is already preserved due to its historic nature. It's nice that I'm moving to an area that not only attracts and breeds intellectual capital but also retains it. In my area the only major employers opening are big-box stores and distribution centers!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM

281 posts, read 1,009,217 times
Quote:
Well that's good news then. I was unaware that much of the area is already preserved due to its historic nature.
Sure is! Make sure you head out to Manassas at some point - there's a HUGE civil war battlefield out there. It's nice to know that that wide, open space will stay.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 PM

428 posts, read 1,115,306 times
Quote:
Well that's good news then. I was unaware that much of the area is already preserved due to its historic nature. It's nice that I'm moving to an area that not only attracts and breeds intellectual capital but also retains it. In my area the only major employers opening are big-box stores and distribution centers!
Not to mention that Loudoun County has a long history of being against the kind of rapid development that Fairfax County saw in the mid- to late-80s. And even earlier, I suppose! Back then, lots of Loudoun County residents had bumper stickers on their cars that read "Don't Fairfax Loudoun". My gut feeling is that Loudoun County will always retain a healthy connection to its rural roots.

To learn more about the kind of zoning mentioned above that can control what's often perceived as overdevelopment, check out this page about the Rural Crescent area in neighboring Prince William County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia