Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,120 times

Advertisements

All
I am moving from the Detroit area and I am currently looking for an apartment along the orange or blue line
I have a friend who lives on the orange line at the roslyn stop.
I like that area.

I'm looking for an apartment which is near a metro stop
has a washer/dryer in unit
one bedroom
parking spot
would prefer gym

balcony is a nice to have

any suggestions please let me know thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 07:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget007 View Post
All
I am moving from the Detroit area and I am currently looking for an apartment along the orange or blue line
I have a friend who lives on the orange line at the roslyn stop.
I like that area.

I'm looking for an apartment which is near a metro stop
has a washer/dryer in unit
one bedroom
parking spot
would prefer gym

balcony is a nice to have

any suggestions please let me know thanks
price range??????????????: confused:

Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
price range??????????????: confused:
Agreed. Arlington is a very popular area of Northern Virginia (NoVA) for younger professionals to live in, and that desirability has caused prices to edge upwards. If you're not earning at least $50,000 you probably won't be able to afford a 1-bedroom unit there on your own without having to sprint for a 2-bedroom, splitting the rent with a roommate. I'm going to be earning about $42,000, and once you take out mandatory and voluntary payroll deductions my net take-home pay is actually only in the high-$20k/year range. I am cutting it tight by renting a 1-bedroom unit in Reston for $1,135/month + utilities, and from my research you can expect to pay a few hundred dollars more per month for a typical 1-bedroom in most parts of Arlington, hence why I only recommend you considering it on your own if your gross pay is in the neighborhood of $50,000. Otherwise you're going to want to room with someone in a two-bedroom or look further out in the suburbs, as I did, in order to afford to live on your own.

Best of luck!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-03-2009 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Typographical Error

Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,723,864 times
Try the Archstone at the Franconia metro. That is as far out as you can get and still be on the metro line...at a somewhat reasonable price. It has all you mentioned, but might not be quite as "hip" as Rosslyn, but should be less $$.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 AM

722 posts, read 1,980,628 times
We'll need a price range to give you some more concrete help. But Archstone's website is a good place to start your search. They're one of the biggest apartment management companies in the region, so you can get an idea of what prices are being charged in what areas. I think most of their apartments will be comparable to what you're looking for in terms of amenities. Some people hate Archstone, as a management company, but just looking at prices on their website doesn't mean you're committing to them.

Find Apartments For Rent from Archstone

Generally speaking, apartments are going to be more expensive on the Orange Line than on the Blue Line. But this is because the Orange Line is generally the more desirable place to live. So it just depends on where your balance is between saving money, living in a "hip" area, and having the amenities.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
I actually just signed a lease with Archstone, and what is nice is that their communities have a 30-day guarantee where you are free to break your lease without penalty after your first month living in your complex to move somewhere else if you decide you are unhappy with your decision. Archstone also has dozens (if not hundreds) of properties throughout the U.S., and if your job is transferred you can break your lease at your current Archstone complex penalty-free if you agree to sign a new lease in another Archstone complex in your new city.

You really can't go by Internet reviews/ratings. EVERY complex I researched in Reston/Herndon had very negative reviews from people, including some of the tonier ones at the high-end of my budget. Just think of real life. You're going to be much more inclined to cause a fuss to draw attention to yourself if you're upset about something than you are going to be to seek out someone to offer them public praise for a job well done that we mostly just take for granted.

I chose Archstone Charter Oak in Reston (which if you listen to some of the other members on here is a "bogeyman" town, but I digress). The property was disappointing in that it didn't have any amenities (fitness center, pool, Internet lounge, etc.) the way most other complexes I saw had, but the location just couldn't be beat. My unit fronts on a beautiful golf course and is still only a half-mile walk to Reston Town Center and about a mile's walk to Lake Anne (if even that). I'm also within walking distance to my office and a proposed Metro station for the Silver Line. I'm also getting a nearly 1,000 square foot 1-bedroom unit (the most spacious I looked at) for the same price as many much smaller units in less convenient areas. Now I've heard nothing but "horror stories" about maintenance issues with Archstone communities, but hopefully those are just gross over-exaggerations.

In any event best of luck, and I'd recommend Archstone without hesitation.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,476 times
I'll second the suggestion about checking into Archstone at Springfield Mall, it's right across the street from the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I'll second the suggestion about checking into Archstone at Springfield Mall, it's right across the street from the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station.
Depending on the OP's price range, I'd avoid this option. Springfield Mall isn't exactly the greatest spot these days, and its certainly not a fun, walkable neighborhood like places along the Orange Line are. Instead, its a totally suburban traffic mess, and the mall itself is pretty dead right now, and probably will be until they finish the renovations (if they ever do). Also, the Metro trip from Springfield is a pretty long haul, because the Blue line is inefficient. It goes all the way around the beltway to Old Town, then all the way up the river to Rosslyn, before crossing the Potomac. The Orange, even from the end of the line in Vienna, will get you to DC faster than the Blue will.

We do not know the OPs price range. If he's got room in his budget, he ought to consider the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor. Great place to live, and to Foggy Bottom, a cake commute. Falls Church area might also be viable, or even Merrifield or Vienna. Alternatively, taking a look at, say, Crystal City or Pentagon City could be worthwhile. In general, rents there are somewhat lower than in Rosslyn-Ballston. It'd still be Blue to Foggy Bottom, but you start out way up the Potomac, so it'd be a MUCH faster commute than from Springfield.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,039 times
The Khmer Rouge abolished the use of currency in 1977. After reading some of the posts in CD, you would think BO has done the same thing. How much can you afford?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,476 times
Not disagreeing with all that, but mentioned it as an option since the OP didn't say a price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia