Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:22 AM

66 posts, read 344,576 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just waiting for the official notification from my new agency on a new job I have in the area. I don't want to bug the director with questions, and anyhow, he's sort of gone quiet while waiting for HR to contact me.

So, I was hoping someone out there could tell me what is the normal package of benefits someone from the outside would get to move to a government job in DC? The job announcement did say relocation and housing assistance available. I've looked at OPM and googled as much as I could, but can't find something that lays out what I can expect in detail.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
When you negotiate your offer, you need to ask for relocation or PCS assistance. If you don't do that up front, when the offers are being made, then you generally cannot get it.

Also, most general announcements go out with that statement on them; however, it is up to each individual office to decide if they want to pay. For instance, my cousin is applying for a job and the announcement indicates that student loan assistance is available. But the office hiring is not willing to pay that out of their budget.

Most of our positions here refuse to fund moving costs. The only time it is really ever done is if you are in a hard-to-fill career field and they need to pay it to attact the candidate. Again, it needs to be negotiated up front and not after the hire.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the insight. But assuming PCS assistance is offered, is it comprable to what I might get on the civilian side? I'm leaving a Fortune 100 company and am curious how similar the benefits are with the government compared to industry.

Can anyone help me clear this up?

Thanks

Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM

696 posts, read 1,694,404 times
We are in the process of a government relocation. They'll sit you down with a relocation officer that will handle your transfer. You are right in that there isn't a lot of clear info published on the web, etc. The basics are 60 days of temporary housing using a per diem calculation based on family size, travel costs (driving or flight depends on how far traveling), a flat rate incidental allowance, etc. PP is right in that it is up to the individual as to whether they want to pay the costs. If you want more specifics, then PM me. I'm not sure if it depends on agency.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
depending on the agency and job and GS level etc... the higher the GS level the the higher $ ammounts. You will get a COLA increase as well, BUT...most govt offces are as good as the military in the COLA. Ours in a move from from PA to NOVA was on lines of 100-200/ month increase. I can tell you our living expenses for the DC area verses the Pittsburg area were WAYY above 100-200 bucks.

Also we got a 45 days of temp housing + meals. That's a nice perk.
Travel expenses such as gas, food and lodging are also paid. (it's a reimbursement not direct pay)

Household goods are packed moved and stored (if need be up to 45 days) for you as well.

YOu RELO coordinator should be able to outline everything for you.

For your pay varible look at the GS scale and see the locality pay. That gives you the the ammount you get for your area.

Govt pay benefits versus civilian sector? usually lower for govt job, the govt doesn't pay well!! But job security is a great reason to work for the govt now days. Health benefits...not the greatest, you have many plans to pick from though. Retirement isn't as great as it used to be either (80% of salary etc..) we have % of salary and retirement fund that is tied to the stock mkt much like a 401k for civilian types.

You aren't going to get rich working for Uncle sam!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 AM

5stones,

Thanks. From what I have gathered, the relo benefits are comparable to what I have found in my current job.

Riches are not a good reason to join the civil service. For me, after 3 deployments for the war, plus others over the last 20 years, I just felt the need to do something that made a difference, albeit, small and surrounded by frustrating bureaucracy, regulations and inflexible people, I could feel better about what I did each day.

Thanks again,

Dan

Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
^ yep I hear ya same with hubby....
Army, Gulf war, then some other not so nice deployments...
Then got out went to work in the civilian world.... after 5 years went back to work for uncle sam. It's not perfect...still loads of red tape etc... but at the end of the day he takes great satisfaction that outr country (and community) is a bit better off that he was at work. (instead of just padding some companies bottom line)

I think either you are born a civil servant or not. MY entire family is civil service (both mine and hubby's) except for 1 sis in law whose a Vet.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I've just been hired to work for the Department of Defense, and in lieu of offering some sort of formal relocation package I've been offered a 25% sign-on bonus based upon my first-year salary that is payable 10% in June 2009, 10% in June 2010, and then the remaining 5% in June 2011. It is contingent upon my signing a contract agreeing to remain in the position for "X" amount of time, and I'm liable to reimburse a prorated portion of that depending upon how early I were to renege upon that contract (which I'm not likely to do anyways).

Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM

That's interesting. I'm not sure I would prefer that over a formal package. I guess mainly because I would have to do all of the work of the move, rather than leaving it to a professional.

But, if you don't have a lot of stuff to move, it's a great deal.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansuz1 View Post
That's interesting. I'm not sure I would prefer that over a formal package. I guess mainly because I would have to do all of the work of the move, rather than leaving it to a professional.

But, if you don't have a lot of stuff to move, it's a great deal.

Thanks
Welcome in advance to the area. I, too, was concerned about the lack of a formal relocation package, but my moving expenditures will be minimal. I have some great friends and relatives who are all coming down for the approximately 225-mile drive from PA in a caravan of vehicles loaded chock full of second-hand furnishings. One thing to be SURE to ask about though when you look into rental options is if your agency/department gets a "discount" of any sort. Our application fee was waived, for example, and I know some other complexes will wave security deposits or even give you a break on rent. It never hurts to ask, and judging by how DESPERATE many of the leasing agents at some of the complexes I went to were some may be willing to negotiate with you even if they don't normally offer a discount for your agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia