Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 PM

715 posts, read 2,088,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
So what are you guys up to this weekend?

Saturday we're doing the 10K at Lowes Island (but I'm walking it, not running!!). And we're going kayaking with some friends later that afternoon. We're going downtown to see Rolling Thunder on Sunday. After that I should be pooped, so I plan to sleep for the rest of the day. A neighborhood BBQ Monday finishes off the weekend.
Hopefully the weather will hold up for a change...now they are saying scattered T-storms. Sick of the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 PM

715 posts, read 2,088,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpascal View Post
I'm actually looking for some ideas. Have three kids, 12, 9, and 5 mos. so need something they'd be into also. Talked about Fredericksburg, Annapolis...but while we may enjoy the window shopping/antiques/walking around, kids'll get bored. Thought Great Falls, but imagine it will be packed there this weekend....so we're continuing to consider the possibilities.
Downtown Annapolis is surely not for kids unless you mean Annapolis Mall which has a food court, movie theater, and large area for kids to run around, and also a play area.

Great Falls can get boring for kids also if you're just hiking.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Hey, congratulations at last! Hope it all goes well...
Thank you! Congratulations on your first rep badge too! It's long overdue!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,728,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Do those veterans on the motorcycles do the ride up I-395 N on Memorial Day Sunday or Veterans Day Sunday? I just want to give them a thumbs up?
There's a schedule here:

The Ride of the Patriots - Welcome!

Old 05-20-2009, 05:16 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,455,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
We're going downtown to see Rolling Thunder on Sunday.
Normie,

Do you have a particular spot and time? Do you try to catch them going over the bridge, or near the Reflecting Pool, or...? I've seen them on TV often, but even though I've lived in the area since before Rolling Thunder first started, I've never seen them in person. I guess the traffic/logistics/crowds have scared me off. But maybe this year is the year I finally get to see them.

Tomorrow is kayak day for us. Most weekends, and especially holiday weekends, we tend to stick close to home.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:35 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,974,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Normie,

Do you have a particular spot and time? Do you try to catch them going over the bridge, or near the Reflecting Pool, or...? I've seen them on TV often, but even though I've lived in the area since before Rolling Thunder first started, I've never seen them in person. I guess the traffic/logistics/crowds have scared me off. But maybe this year is the year I finally get to see them.

Tomorrow is kayak day for us. Most weekends, and especially holiday weekends, we tend to stick close to home.
LOL, a lot of people show up for this, so we just try to find an open spot. Usually we end up somewhere along Pennsylvania Ave.

My favorite place to watch them, believe it or not, is from the bridge going from the parking lot to the West Falls Church Metro Station. You'll see hundreds of them driving in from out of town, and they're waving and honking because they're almost to DC. I'll stand on the bridge and watch them pass underneath for the longest time before we even head downtown.

If I had to pick a favorite spot it would be the WWII memorial. The Viet Nam vets make a big point of placing flowers at each marker, there's something about that that I find very touching.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
There's a schedule here:

The Ride of the Patriots - Welcome!
Thanks a lot!!! I would love to take my honda with my "soliders, not the aclu, gave us freedom of religion" sticker on the back on the way to church and give them a thumbs up.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,974,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Hopefully the weather will hold up for a change...now they are saying scattered T-storms. Sick of the rain.
Looks like the weather's going to be pretty good. Still a possibility of isolated T-storms Saturday night, but the chances are getting slimmer and slimmer. Actually I wouldn't mind just a little rain late at night, I like the sound of it on my roof and it cools things down. Plus it makes the grass happy and the sky's clear and blue the next day.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:56 AM

428 posts, read 1,116,309 times
We're packing and moving. Just found out we're closing on our new (to us) house tomorrow afternoon! Home ownership, here we come (or as our neighbor said, "Hey, welcome to the money pit!)".

(If there were a happy-dancing smiley over there, then I'd be using a few of 'em right here.)

Old 05-21-2009, 09:07 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,937,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Downtown Annapolis is surely not for kids unless you mean Annapolis Mall which has a food court, movie theater, and large area for kids to run around, and also a play area.

Great Falls can get boring for kids also if you're just hiking.

Also this week is commission week @ the naval academy, Downtown Annapolis has and probably will be jam packed crowded at least until Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia