Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,728 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

How is the current IT job market in NOVA? I'll be graduating from college in one year with a degree in MIS and five years of IT experience. NOVA has been reported as having some of the highest IT salaries in the nation, but I'm not sure if that is just "talk."

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Better than most other places, but that's not necessarily saying much. I wouldn't move here without a job on the gamble that you'll easily find something. Used to be you could do that, but not these days.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
There's lots of good IT jobs here, you wont have a problem. Just be sure to look at the cost of living and the 1+ hour commutes each way. Don't let the salaries mislead you.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM

I've been looking at living in the Warrenton area. Are most of the IT jobs in DC or in Fairfax, Manassas, etc?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Agreed with the most recent poster about not being lured into a false sense of security about the high salaries, as the high cost-of-living here rapidly erodes that "perk." For example, I'm renting a 1-BR apartment outside the Beltway for $1,135/month, and that's considered "a good deal" while my PARENTS pay less than that for the mortgage on a 3 BR, 1 BA, 1,500-square-foot home back in PA. It's all relative. Back "home" my salary of just under $42,000 would be about the median household income, and I'd be resented by middle-aged blue-collars who made the same salary at their "peak." Down here I'm "poor" earning $42,000 while many of my 22-year-old peers seem to drive BMWs and Lexuses, so once again it's all relative.

I'd choose the position that offered the best "perks", even if it had a lower salary. In my case I'll be earning over $60,000 by the time I'm 24, so it's worth it to "struggle" a bit financially for two years because of that expected pay off as well as the fact that I have great medical benefits, vacation time, and tuition reimbursement for graduate school. Some of my friends at different firms are starting roughly $10,000 more than I am annually as their salary but are being given bare bones perks due to this awful recession. Since I'll eventually be earning the same as them anyways after several years it just made more sense for me to choose the opportunity I did.

Best of luck in whatever you do though! My father is an IT project manager and has been laid off, transferred, and tossed around like a pawn in a game of chess. That is a VERY volatile industry!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan23 View Post
I've been looking at living in the Warrenton area. Are most of the IT jobs in DC or in Fairfax, Manassas, etc?
Most of the IT jobs are actually outside of the Beltway in the Reston/Herndon area, also known as the "Dulles Tech Corridor." I know Oracle has a huge installation here in Reston, along with BAE Systems, Raytheon, Sprint, AOL, and many other major firms between these two suburbs.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:00 AM

131 posts, read 426,253 times
the IT job market is good, how easy it is to find a job could depend on the position you're looking for though. There's A LOT of tech jobs through most of fairfax county and stretching into loudon county. The dulles corridor - tysons, reston, herdon, sterling, seem to have the most jobs. Warrenton is kinda far out. Manassas will have some jobs, that would be the closest to Warrenton.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
It's certainly not just "talk". There are some really high paying jobs out here. Also the NOVA region enjoys comparitively lower unemployment rate since we are so close to DC. If you can't find a job with a private company, gov't contracting is another alternative. There are a ton of contracts out here and contractors make up a large chunk of the workforce. I've been contracting for almost 10yrs and the money/benifits have been great.

What field of IT do you have experience or want to get into? IT is just too broad a description these days.

While most of the jobs are closer into the city, there are jobs further out. Most companies and all gov't have BCDR initiatives, they'll have alternate datacenters further out of the city. I work at one and they keep me plenty busy.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks everyone for responding. For the last five years, I've been working as a systems administrator. Going forward, I'd like to either remain a systems administrator or migrate into a role where I can act as the "middle man" between the IT side and the end user. My specialty is Windows and I don't have much Linux/Unix experience. I've been viewing the IT recruiter listings for NOVA and there seems to be a lot of programming jobs, jobs that require a TS clearance, and jobs that require Linux/Unix experience.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:42 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,692 times
TS clearance took me a little over a year to obtain. Everyone has Windows experience. That would be like a mechanic emphasizing his parking skills. How big was the network you supported? Do you have a degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia