Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times

Advertisements

As a new resident of Reston I have been doing everything in my ability to acquaint myself with as much of my adopted hometown as possible, and this has included just finishing perusing the online edition of this week's Reston Connection newspaper. I was pleased to note that on Tuesday, June 16, at 7 PM there will be the first in a series of sessions aimed to permit Reston residents to have input into a new long-range "master plan" for the community. This meeting will be held at Lake Anne Elementary School along North Shore Drive, and I plan to attend to chime in with my own ideas and opinions. I hope JFromReston and other "lurkers" on here from our town of well over 60,000 will be here as well. This first public meeting will be an introductory course into explaining the relationship between Fairfax County and how it has authority over zoning decisions within Reston but must still abide by whatever master plan we, as residents, devise.

The last master plan was done forty years ago and is woefully outdated, as evidenced by the traffic congestion and increasing pedestrian-unfriendliness of the area. The article goes on to caution readers to participate so that Reston won't become "Tysonized" (in reference to that sterile and congested bloated office park they call Tyson's Corners).

Here is a list of projects currently underway that are being permitted to be decided upon WITHOUT lying within the constraints of the existing outdated 1960s master plan.

1.) Massive Mixed-Use (Residential/Retail/Office) Project Slated for Proposed Wiehle Avenue Metrorail Site.

2.) High-Density Mixed-Use Development of the Spectrum Center.

3.) Two New Condo Towers at Parc Reston.

4.) Three New Towers on the Oracle Campus (1 Commercial, 2 Residential)

5.) 1,000,000 Square-Foot Mixed-Use Project Adjacent to Sheraton Reston.

6.) 1,700 Condos, Hotel, and Retail Space Slated for Lake Anne Village.

7.) Three New Office Towers Slated for Reston Crescent.

8.) New 15-Story Mixed-Use Tower Coming to Reston Town Center

9.) 940 New Condos and Retail Development on Site of Fairway Apartments (As a Nearby Resident I'm Wondering What Will Become of the Tenants)

10.) Large Office Complex on Sunset Hills Drive.

11.) 200 Senior Citizen Condos on Colts Neck.

12.) Major Expansion of Reston Hospital Center.

13.) Hotel at Intersection of Sunset Hills Drive & Hunter Mill Road.

14.) High-Rise on Site of Ruby Tuesday Parcel in Reston Town Center (I actually have no idea where that lot is).

15.) 20 Other Mixed-Use Projects Along Toll Road.

This is only a partial list as well. In my opinion I'm DELIGHTED to see these sorts of high-density mixed-use developments popping up all over Reston, despite the negative "spin" put upon them in the article. That is TRULY the way Reston NEEDS to grow---up, not "out." I get all gushy inside to think that in another decade Reston could have a very easily-distinguishable and significant "skyline" (in addition to the high-rises at Reston Town Center). My "vision" of Reston's future is one in which there are plentiful sidewalks and bike lanes (both of which are noticeably ABSENT in much of town), attractive new streetscapes along pivotal gateway roads into the community (think benches, period lighting, landscaping, etc. along Route 606, Reston Parkway, Route 7, etc.), and the encouragement of as many high-rises as possible (I'm unsure of the height restrictions for nearby Dulles International Airport). Instead of being "Tysonized", Reston can be "Arlingtonized," concentrating efforts to build uber-dense projects around its proposed Metrorail stations coming in the next decade.

I'm excited about getting involved in the long-range urban planning process here! What say other Restonians?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,767,183 times
I had no idea Reston had ~60,000 people!!!

For some reason I always thought it was closer to 30-40k...I had to google it just to make sure you didn't type it wrong.

I really wish I could attend, though I am not a part of the Reston community, and in fact, live no where near Northern Virginia..lol. I just like reading about/hearing about/experiencing development from the planning stages onward..

Do you have any links to any info about the proposed developments? (such as a developers website with renderings or master plans, etc)

Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 PM

Here's one for now to whet your appetite, and I'll try to track down some more for you:

Reston Heights, Reston Virginia

This one is one of MANY massive mixed-use projects slated for town. I, too, was shocked when I found out our population was over 60,000!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Here's one for now to whet your appetite, and I'll try to track down some more for you:

Reston Heights, Reston Virginia

This one is one of MANY massive mixed-use projects slated for town. I, too, was shocked when I found out our population was over 60,000!
This Reston Heights project looks very nice. Im all for mixed-use planning!!

It says there is to be up to 2 Million sq ft of office space!

I know real estate is at a premium in Northern Virginia, but is the demand for office space high enough for Reston to handle 2 million sq ft of additional space?

How long would it take for the 2 million sq ft to be absorbed or does office space get snatched up pretty fast in the area?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 PM

Default Reston Heights

Here you will see both a site plan for Reston Heights as well as the location in question in satellite imagery.

Reston Heights, located on the SE intersection of the Dulles Toll Road and Reston Parkway, will feature 2,000,000 square feet of office space, 500 luxury condos, two "landmark" hotels, and 300,000 square feet of retail space that will include "high-end designer shops, boutiques, signature restaurants, and sidewalk cafes."

Here are some more images of this proposal, which is just one of many projects coming to town:

The preceding images and subsequent commentary can be directly attributed to the project's web site:

Previously a combination of surface parking lots and low density office space, Reston Heights will now become a bold example of how synergies created from pedestrian friendly, integrated public spaces and dramatically designed water features will provide its clientele with a sustainable, high density mixed-use living experience.

With 2 million square feet of office space, over 350,000 square feet of first class retail, 1.4 million square feet of residential and 500,000 square feet of hotel planned or currently built, Reston Heights will provide thousands of new jobs to the community as well as the housing needed to support and sustain their lifestyles. The site will be accessible by two planned Metro stops within ¼ and ½ of a mile in walking distance to the site, and all parking will be below grade or beneath retail or office pads.

Overall, this project will have a tremendous impact on the sustainable design movement currently underway in Fairfax County and the Washington D.C. metro region and will provide the Reston community with a model of the new urban neighborhood.

Personally I hope every last ugly surface parking lot here in Reston is overtaken for these projects!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
This Reston Heights project looks very nice. Im all for mixed-use planning!!

It says there is to be up to 2 Million sq ft of office space!

I know real estate is at a premium in Northern Virginia, but is the demand for office space high enough for Reston to handle 2 million sq ft of additional space?

How long would it take for the 2 million sq ft to be absorbed or does office space get snatched up pretty fast in the area?
Despite the recession Reston is really holding its own. Oracle is planning to expand, and my own government agency's Herndon office is getting quite cramped with all of we newbies coming on in, so it's not unreasonable to say that they may be looking to expand into Reston as well if suitable space became available. AOL's campus is sprawling, and they are becoming more and more active in the community with each passing year (they were the single largest fund-raising business for the recent Reston Relay for Life, which netted over $260,000 for the American Cancer Society!) I foresee Reston becoming a true "satellite city" of DC much as how White Plains, NY and Stamford, CT are satellite cities of NYC (even King of Prussia, PA is now starting to emerge as a satellite city of Philadelphia).

Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 PM

Default Restonian

I've also just discovered the Restonian, which is apparently a very popular and well-written blog about our community. People throughout Northern Fairfax County and Loudoun County ought to be keeping themselves somewhat abreast of all of these latest developments, as most of you pass through Reston at some point or another anyways en route to other areas (yeah...we like being right in your way!)

http://www.restonian.org/

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-05-2009 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Addition of Link

Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 AM

Default Wiehle Avenue Metrorail Station

Apparently the new construction at the Wiehle Avenue Metrorail Station is going to be a pretty big deal.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpsm/do...Agreements.pdf

(Image Courtesy of the Restonian blog)

Comstock Partners gets rights to develop Wiehle Avenue Metro station site - Washington Business Journal:

Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 AM

Note to self: The Restonian blog = SUCCESS! I've finally found my true new "home" amidst throngs of others who hate urban sprawl with as much of a fiery passion as I do! Tally-ho!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 6,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As a new resident of Reston I have been doing everything in my ability to acquaint myself with as much of my adopted hometown as possible, and this has included just finishing perusing the online edition of this week's Reston Connection newspaper. I was pleased to note that on Tuesday, June 16, at 7 PM there will be the first in a series of sessions aimed to permit Reston residents to have input into a new long-range "master plan" for the community. This meeting will be held at Lake Anne Elementary School along North Shore Drive, and I plan to attend to chime in with my own ideas and opinions. I hope JFromReston and other "lurkers" on here from our town of well over 60,000 will be here as well. This first public meeting will be an introductory course into explaining the relationship between Fairfax County and how it has authority over zoning decisions within Reston but must still abide by whatever master plan we, as residents, devise.

The last master plan was done forty years ago and is woefully outdated, as evidenced by the traffic congestion and increasing pedestrian-unfriendliness of the area. The article goes on to caution readers to participate so that Reston won't become "Tysonized" (in reference to that sterile and congested bloated office park they call Tyson's Corners).

Here is a list of projects currently underway that are being permitted to be decided upon WITHOUT lying within the constraints of the existing outdated 1960s master plan.

1.) Massive Mixed-Use (Residential/Retail/Office) Project Slated for Proposed Wiehle Avenue Metrorail Site.

2.) High-Density Mixed-Use Development of the Spectrum Center.

3.) Two New Condo Towers at Parc Reston.

4.) Three New Towers on the Oracle Campus (1 Commercial, 2 Residential)

5.) 1,000,000 Square-Foot Mixed-Use Project Adjacent to Sheraton Reston.

6.) 1,700 Condos, Hotel, and Retail Space Slated for Lake Anne Village.

7.) Three New Office Towers Slated for Reston Crescent.

8.) New 15-Story Mixed-Use Tower Coming to Reston Town Center

9.) 940 New Condos and Retail Development on Site of Fairway Apartments (As a Nearby Resident I'm Wondering What Will Become of the Tenants)

10.) Large Office Complex on Sunset Hills Drive.

11.) 200 Senior Citizen Condos on Colts Neck.

12.) Major Expansion of Reston Hospital Center.

13.) Hotel at Intersection of Sunset Hills Drive & Hunter Mill Road.

14.) High-Rise on Site of Ruby Tuesday Parcel in Reston Town Center (I actually have no idea where that lot is).

15.) 20 Other Mixed-Use Projects Along Toll Road.

This is only a partial list as well. In my opinion I'm DELIGHTED to see these sorts of high-density mixed-use developments popping up all over Reston, despite the negative "spin" put upon them in the article. That is TRULY the way Reston NEEDS to grow---up, not "out." I get all gushy inside to think that in another decade Reston could have a very easily-distinguishable and significant "skyline" (in addition to the high-rises at Reston Town Center). My "vision" of Reston's future is one in which there are plentiful sidewalks and bike lanes (both of which are noticeably ABSENT in much of town), attractive new streetscapes along pivotal gateway roads into the community (think benches, period lighting, landscaping, etc. along Route 606, Reston Parkway, Route 7, etc.), and the encouragement of as many high-rises as possible (I'm unsure of the height restrictions for nearby Dulles International Airport). Instead of being "Tysonized", Reston can be "Arlingtonized," concentrating efforts to build uber-dense projects around its proposed Metrorail stations coming in the next decade.

I'm excited about getting involved in the long-range urban planning process here! What say other Restonians?!
ScanBarre,

Thanks for this information. I would like to track the progress of these jobs as they move through the approval process. Are these projects listed on the Fairfax County website? How can I best track them?
Thanks,
Aaron A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia