Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 PM

13 posts, read 33,353 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I've found lots of useful info on these boards and was hoping someone could help me out again. I need to know what areas I should be looking in for my new apartment. To give you some background I am in my early 20s and have been in NOVA for about a year. I work in Tyson's Corner and live down the street in McLean (Gates of McLean) with a roommate in a nice 2BR/2BA. However, my roommate is moving out (new job) so I thought it would be a good time to try something new.

My main problem with McLean is that there is not too much to do around here for 20 somethings (although I have enjoyed the restaurants and 10 minute commute). Most of my friends are in Arlington or DC proper and it is getting old to always go to them, although I do have older friends in McLean/Vienna. I'm not a fan of the bar scene - I'd like an area with younger people around and lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and other low key interesting activities that encourage me to go out and about. I'd love to try some new interesting activities that don't involve bars all the time.

The ironic thing is I've helped quite a few friends find apartments in the area but they all wanted to be in the middle of everything. That being said, Arlington Clarendon/Ballston seemed to be a bit crowded and pricey for what I want. I like a little space between where I live and the heart of the activity. Why pay to be in the middle of it all when you aren't really going bar hopping very often?

I'd like to pay around $1500/mo or less but I'd be willing to pay up to $2000 if it was the perfect area.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbuchan View Post
The ironic thing is I've helped quite a few friends find apartments in the area but they all wanted to be in the middle of everything. That being said, Arlington Clarendon/Ballston seemed to be a bit crowded and pricey for what I want. I like a little space between where I live and the heart of the activity. Why pay to be in the middle of it all when you aren't really going bar hopping very often?
I think you may have answered your own question. If your friends are in Arlington or DC proper, then go closer to where your friends are. And the prices will generally be cheaper further from the Metro (Arlington/VA Square/Clarendon) so you can get that "space" you need between your home and the activity at the same time.

Personally if I were 20-something I would be looking for a place north of Ballston/VA Square. Or, alternatively, you could look for a place in Arlington somewhere near the W&OD Trail, but some of those areas may be considered by some a bit less safe than Ballston/VA Square.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM

131 posts, read 426,059 times
actually to me, mclean seems like about what you want. it's not in the middle of everything but only 15 minutes away from that whole arlington corridor. If you want something a little more happening probably alexandria would be where to go, but rent will be a little more.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 29,204 times
I would also look into the Pentagon City and Crystal City areas. I'm very much like you in that I want to live in an urban area where there are other young single professionals but I don't want to be smack dab in the middle of the action. Both areas I mentioned above are in South Arlington so between the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor and Alexandria. Places in close distance to the Metro stops are a bit pricier but in my opinion not nearly as expensive as apartments and condos for rent near the Clarendon or Ballston metros. They're also bigger. I'm not interested in paying $1400 a month for location and then an extra $400 for the apartment alone, not including a parking space or utilities. Especially when that apartment will be less than 600 sq ft. I think you'll find larger square footage if you head further south in Arlington. Stick to places around the Pentagon City and Crystal City metros and then work your way westward from there if the prices are still too high for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia