Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 PM

172 posts, read 563,803 times

Advertisements

We'll be in town looking for a place to live over the 4th of July week/weekend. DH has lots of Hilton points, so we want to find a hotel that will give us the best view of the fireworks. Are we better off staying in DC or across the river in Crystal City/Arlington? How bad are the crowds? Should we stay away from the Mall & museums over the 4th? Trying to fit a lot into that week, although, since we're moving to NoVa, there will be plenty of time to see the sights. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
I found a link here : Virginia Fireworks - 4th of July Fireworks in Northern Virginia

We have a lot of fireworks celebrations around town if you want to opt out of traffic jams.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Book soon, in previous years DC has booked up quickly for the 4th. Getting a hotel for the 4th is a very popular idea, even for people who live here who just want to avoid the traffic going home. Much more fun to simply walk back to a hotel room and have a little post-fireworks party with your friends. Of course, with the economy down hotels might not be quite as busy this year. But you never know.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
The best place I've ever watched the DC fireworks was from a canoe launched from Roosevelt Island and paddled just downstream to be in the area of the Lincoln Memorial.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Hey by the way--welcome to Virginia. I think watching the fireworks is a great way to cap off a trip like that. Anywhere on the mall is a good place to see 'em. I hear people like watching them from Crystal City but I've never tried it myself. Iwo Jima memorial is a popular place to gather.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:07 AM

91 posts, read 228,865 times
Mall is a good spot and you are close. I might even try the New Air Force Memorial...shoud be a good spot to watch but really no place to sit....we used to sit on the hill there and watch. I believe there is parking across the street. However, I would get there early.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:01 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Book soon, in previous years DC has booked up quickly for the 4th. Getting a hotel for the 4th is a very popular idea, even for people who live here who just want to avoid the traffic going home. Much more fun to simply walk back to a hotel room and have a little post-fireworks party with your friends. Of course, with the economy down hotels might not be quite as busy this year. But you never know.
My in-laws are visiting from out of town over the 4th and we booked them a room at the Hilton Garden Inn on 14th Street - last July. Traditionally, hotels book up quickly, so we got theirs a year in advance. But as normie said, the economy might work in your favor. The Hilton Garden Inn is close to the White House, maybe 5-6 blocks north of the Mall.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 PM

172 posts, read 563,803 times
Thanks for your replies - all very good ideas! Now that we're moving out there, we'll have lots of opportunities to check out the different places each year. I think it's a great way to cap off our trip, too - we'll be more motivated to get back home & start packing, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia