U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 AM

13 posts, read 31,243 times

Advertisements

We moved from NOVA to jersey city and used a fairfax based movers 'Mighty men'.I checked on the movers and most people had given very good reviews so we decided to go with them

We packed all our stuff and the guy comes in and gives us a binding estimate,which included a 0 deductible insurance of $35,000 and a premium of around $350.

After our move to jersey ,when we started unpacking ,we discovered that a few of the fragile stuff were broken.That too after marking the boxes with fragile stickers and writing fragile in bold all over the boxes.They generally manhandled a lot of the boxes.We had moved quite a lot ,this was the first time we saw the boxes being so much damaged.

When I asked the movers how to go about claiming the damages,his response was that the insurance does not cover the items packed by self!

Is this fair practice?
Please advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,402,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTO_JERSEYCITY View Post
When I asked the movers how to go about claiming the damages,his response was that the insurance does not cover the items packed by self!
Im not a lawyer but I've moved interstate a lot and thats been my understanding.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:45 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,354,516 times
Not a lawyer either but have heard that. It seems to make sense because the movers have no control over how well any boxes were packed by people other than themselves so assuming liability would open themselves up to fraud.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,354,516 times
What does the paperwork you signed with them say?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,778,500 times
The two time we were professionally moved we were told that they didn't insure packed by self so I just let them unpack everything and pack it according to their specifications, that way if they broke it they paid for it. Is there anything in your contract about this?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM

No there was nothing in the contract about this.
Since they were stuff which I cherished ,I was careful to bubble wraps ,everything.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 PM

The only recourse I could see you have is if it is not in your contract that self-pack isn't insured, then how can the movers expect you to know this. Not only was it in our contract but as they were packing us they told us about this. Do you recall them telling you this as they were packing you?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 AM

No ,nothing at all.The person who came to give the estimate saw that we had boxes and all packing materials .Just asked us if we are doing the packing ourselves ,to which our answer as yes .He didn't mention a word about self-pack ,no insurance coverage for those items.

Well I did call him yesterday and told him about this yesterday that he should have specified this clause in writing or at least told me so ,to which his reply was he will do that in future!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTO_JERSEYCITY View Post
No ,nothing at all.The person who came to give the estimate saw that we had boxes and all packing materials .Just asked us if we are doing the packing ourselves ,to which our answer as yes .He didn't mention a word about self-pack ,no insurance coverage for those items.

Well I did call him yesterday and told him about this yesterday that he should have specified this clause in writing or at least told me so ,to which his reply was he will do that in future!
Could you maybe take them to small claims court? Maybe the threat would get them motivated.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 AM

Thanks a lot for your advice ,I 'll try that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>