Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done either or both of these? Is the Fredericksburg City VRE commute substantially worse than the Stafford (Brooke Rd.)? I know there are schedules and such online, but it'd be nice to talk to someone with personal experience. Oh, and I realize that there are express Amtrak trains to and from the Fredericksburg City station, but VRE has stopped subsidizing this, so it's about $10 a ride.

(FYI - living in a renovated 18th-c. home in Fredericksburg City or Falmouth is what I would really like. <sigh>)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-08-2009 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
I think it depends on where you live. There's a 10-15 minute difference between the stations, which is pretty accurate, so just figure out which one is easier to drive to (and park). I took the VRE from F'burg and didn't really notice it being a huge hassle between Brooke and my stop. The only thing is to get there early for parking (this was 2 years ago, so it may be better or worse). It wasn't so bad taking the VRE. Definitely better than driving, since I brought a book and breakfast with me. The worst thing about it was that I took it to Springfield and then took the Metro to Rosslyn. If the Metro (or I) ran late it often meant waving my train good-bye while running across the walkway in Springfield. Going to the Pentagon I'd think would be easier.

VRE stopped Step-Up?? Geez, that sucks, though sometimes the faster ride might be worth the $10 (in bad weather, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia