Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,458,708 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Just found this website and it's great. So much info. Anyway, I live in Manassas and commute to Chantilly in the morning. I live about 2 miles from Sudley Road, so I take that way to work. I used to take 66 but it was always jammed at the on-ramp/merge area and it took really long.

A friend of mine at work told me about another way, to take Sudley down to the intersection of 29 (where the Stone House is). It is always insanely jammed right there, and I think it's because that traffic light isn't timed right. Or maybe it is, and most lights around here are long. This morning I was sitting on 234 as usual, about to make a right onto 29. I had been sitting there in traffic since about 8:05, and it was 8:20 when I checked my phone. I then timed the light going in the opposite direction. The other light was green for approx. 4 minutes give or take.

I'm probably just complaining for no reason, but it literally takes me 20+ minutes to move just about one mile to finally reach the intersection of 29.

Has anyone else noticed this road being a problem in the mornings? Friday mornings are a breeze! There is rarely any traffic there and it's great.

I'm not sure if this matters but I moved here last April (my husband already lived down here and after we got married I moved down here, and I love it!!)

Thanks all, sorry if this is long winded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 03:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,284,143 times
They really need to widen 29 (4 laner) thru the battlefield.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
They really need to widen 29 (4 laner) thru the battlefield.
I agree to that too, since I do come home via 29...and the traffic is the absolute worst.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 PM

240 posts, read 219,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I agree to that too, since I do come home via 29...and the traffic is the absolute worst.
That'll never happen - they won't allow it to be widened through the battlefield. I know, as I use it to commute from Gainesville. It still is a better way to go for me - than I-66, to get where I'm going to for work.

There has even been talk of rerouting Rt. 29 away from the battlefield, or the thought of eliminating that piece and actually just dumping it on I-66! I think this talk has all gone away - but that plan was seriously considered a few years back.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeitz View Post
That'll never happen - they won't allow it to be widened through the battlefield. I know, as I use it to commute from Gainesville. It still is a better way to go for me - than I-66, to get where I'm going to for work.

There has even been talk of rerouting Rt. 29 away from the battlefield, or the thought of eliminating that piece and actually just dumping it on I-66! I think this talk has all gone away - but that plan was seriously considered a few years back.
Yeah, I know it'll never happen, but it would be nice if it did...like if there were no battlefield there. It is better than 66, which is such a drag to take during rush hour. And I'm glad all that talk has gone away.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 AM

5,630 posts, read 5,036,023 times
That intersection is a bottleneck for traffic on both roads. It's be nice to make an overpass/underpass there but it would destroy a significant portion of the battlefield in the process, particularly so close to the Stone House. Traffic along Rte 29 from Gainesville seems to have increased significantly lately, and every time I heard of backups on 66, I know 29 will be busier.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,078,235 times
I don't live in NOVA but travel through it for vacation every year and I have to say that you guys must have the patience of a monk! I was going crazy in my car because it took an hour to move 5 miles on I-95. Isn't that traffic depressing? Doesn't it make you not want to go anywhere? I'm from Pittsburgh and I never have terrible traffic; just stupid drivers :P.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,284,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't live in NOVA but travel through it for vacation every year and I have to say that you guys must have the patience of a monk! I was going crazy in my car because it took an hour to move 5 miles on I-95. Isn't that traffic depressing? Doesn't it make you not want to go anywhere? I'm from Pittsburgh and I never have terrible traffic; just stupid drivers :P.
Yep it is depressing but you get used to driving in traffic, patience yes. In fact, we plan our lives around traffic. Public transportation around here is no joke; everyone uses it and some love it. It's much better to sit in traffic with a job, than to be back home where there's no work.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM

428 posts, read 1,107,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Also, you were on what is probably one of our worst roads, traffic-wise. Live here long enough and you learn the trouble spots and the backroads pretty well. And traffic's not always bad. Rush hour's stinky, and some roads (like I-95) can be and often are bad anytime. But the seriously nasty traffic you encountered as you were passing through isn't typical of what we deal with anytime we drive somewhere.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:02 PM

738 posts, read 2,943,880 times
I drive through there on my commute at times depending when I leave my house/work. I live in Ashburn and commute to Gainesville for work. I'm opposite traffic, so my experience might be a little different than yours.

When I used to come to the office at 8:30am, I would commute through the backroads and hit 234 to 29S on the opposite side of the battlefield around 8:15-20. I would rarely hit heavy back-ups at that time of morning, maybe 3-5 minutes to turn onto 29.

My office changed hours back in mid-February to an 8am morning time, so now I hit that same intersection at like 7:45-8am. It's way more backed up around that time and I often find myself sitting there for 10-15 minutes.

I have actually switched back to taking 28S to 66W in the mornings now to avoid the delay at that intersection, but I occasionally go home that way. I've never had any back-ups there on the way home and it makes for a scenic commute, but remember I go opposite the flow of traffic. In the mornings, people come from both sides on 234 to hop onto 29N.

I take Belmont Ridge/Gum Springs/Rt659 from the Brambleton area of Ashburn down to 234 and 29 when I take backroads, which drops me off maybe a mile or so from that intersection. I believe that rt 659 is the road they are widening instead of 29 through the battlefield. The "tentative" plans are to widen it to create a bypass from Route 7 in Ashburn down to the Rt 234 bypass in Manassas. They've already got a lot of trees cleared to expand the road, but that's as far as it's gotten that I can tell. It looks as if it will be many years before they really have a bypass/parkway type road connecting the western end of NoVa. However, it should be quite nice once they complete it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia