Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 11:54 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,466,081 times

Advertisements

Not too familiar with the area (besides what I've seen on here), but would like to buy a 3BR home/condo/townhouse in Reston thats somewhat walkable (within about 0.5 miles of Town Center) in a safe neighborhood with good public elementary schools. And would like to do it for around $300K.

Can it be done? If so, what zip codes should I be looking in?? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 PM

32,597 posts, read 77,136,154 times
I just moved to Reston approximately three weeks ago and live in one of the most desirable parts of town, in my humble opinion. From my complex along North Shore Drive I can walk approximately a half-mile to the Reston Town Center or to Lake Anne in opposite directions. In another four or five years I'll be able to walk to a Metro station for the upcoming Silver Line. I routinely walk to Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, and nearby parks as well. I can also walk to three different houses of worship (I meant to scope out one this morning but got a bit "distracted" last night with a bottle of Shiraz!)

I think 20190 is a good zip code to consider. Generally speaking most people hype up the Northpoint area of Reston, which is the sprawling neighborhood near the Reston Parkway between Route 7 on the north and Route 606 (Baron Cameron Avenue) to the south. At the southernmost part of this neighborhood is a shopping center with a Home Depot and some other conveniences. In the heart of the neighborhood is a major local shopping center with a Giant, Hallmark, GameStop, and various other stores---I actually do all of my grocery shopping now at that Giant and find it to be a great store in a very attractive shopping center. The Northpoint neighborhood, generally speaking, has the 20194 zip code. It's a quiet area but besides the Home Depot and the Northpoint Village Shopping Center I really wouldn't consider it to be "walkable."

Give my neighborhood, 20190, a look, as it ought to be more affordable than the Northpoint area. Generally speaking if you look at a map we're bounded on the north by Route 606 (Baron Cameron Avenue), on the west by Reston Parkway and the Reston Town Center, on the south by the 267 Toll Road, and on the East/Northeast by Lake Anne and Wiehle Avenue. I suppose I'm living in "Central" Reston. From here I can walk to just about anything I need, and there is a parking lot for the very popular Washington & Old Dominion Trail at the bottom of Old Reston Avenue, across from the Oracle campus, which is about a half-mile from my home. There are some cute 1970s-era single-family dwellings in the neighborhood around Fairway Drive and Hook Road. You might want to look into Parc Reston. That's a nice neighborhood just across the street from me, and I have a new co-worker who just moved into there from PA and seems to like the place. $300,000 might be a stretch for a 3 BR townhome, but I'm admittedly not as familiar with the city's housing market as some of our other Reston members. I would AVOID Fairway Apartments. They are aggressively marketing themselves most likely because the rumors of the complex being razed to make way for another dense mixed-use project have been keeping people away. I wouldn't want to sign a lease there only to move out in a year or so to make way for another project.

The only caveat would be the "good public elementary school" requirement. The 20190 neighborhood is serviced by Lake Anne Elementary, and even though I've always heard Reston's schools were pretty good, people have told me that this particular school is "sub-par." Whether that is justified or just snobbish labeling from the elites isn't something I know yet. I will be at the school this Tuesday evening to participate in an urban planning session for the town, so I will give you some feedback on the interior of the building at that time.

Best of luck, and welcome in advance to Reston!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,440,221 times
In 20191, it would be the area near Sunrise Valley Drive and South Lakes Drive where your kids would go to Sunrise Valley Elementary. It's not walkable to RTC but to South Lakes Shopping Center, Langston Hughes Middle School, and South Lakes High School. There's few if any apartment complexes and absolutely no section 8 apartment complexes served by this school.

Sunrise Valley Elementary School - Reston, Virginia - VA - school map

Old 06-14-2009, 06:10 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,466,081 times
Isnt the Forest Edge Elementary school in the 20190 zip as well? I know this isnt the "best of the best" & it gets a 6 outta 10 on the GreatSchools site, but does that mean its a bad school or just not quite up to par as the others (which BTW seem to be outstanding). So maybe it just has big shoes to fill??

Old 06-14-2009, 06:30 PM

9,756 posts, read 15,663,335 times
I don't know much about the schools in Reston, but I have a friend at Sunrise Valley Elementary and they are very happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: