Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 04:03 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,507 times

Advertisements

I was offered a possible job in DC at Childrens National, and my DH is looking at DC Metro Transit Police or Corrections. What can we find in the NOVA area that will give us a safe, and good school system in a decent neighborhood,

3 br nice community with a swimming pool and a park for my daughter.

Here in Atlanta the housing is cheap but the salary is after we finish paying out the cost of living against our salary is enough to make you

The schools systems are a joke and it is really just time to move on.

Also, I dont mind the travel, in that I now travel 1.5 to work one way all for 10.77 per hour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 04:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Here in Atlanta the housing is cheap but the salary is after we finish paying out the cost of living against our salary is enough to make you
I hate to tell you this, but cost of living may be even worse here. Unless you're offered a significantly higher amount of $$$ you could go from to

Old 06-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I hate to tell you this, but cost of living may be even worse here. Unless you're offered a significantly higher amount of $$$ you could go from to

Well, exactly how expensive do you foresee something in that price range, we are accustom to high price living due to living in NY before coming here. So we figure if we work in DC and live in NOVA things maybe at least workable. I have looked at the job offers from DC thus far and I income would be approximately 5000.00 net and we are looking for something around 1750 -1800 for a 3 br for rent.

Right now our to have our daughter go to a decent and safe school, we have taken a pay cut of half that. So DC will offer us more in income, but the question is is this livable in NOVA, and how far to work would I have to travel outside of my 1.5 commute that I do now.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
I think that sounds workable. You could surely rent a 3-BR townhouse for that price range. It won't be new or fancy but you should be able to find one in a decent neighborhood. Off the top of my head, I can tell you that my husband and I rented in a townhouse/apartment rental development in Falls Church, and I believe that the 3-BR are about that price.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think that sounds workable. You could surely rent a 3-BR townhouse for that price range. It won't be new or fancy but you should be able to find one in a decent neighborhood. Off the top of my head, I can tell you that my husband and I rented in a townhouse/apartment rental development in Falls Church, and I believe that the 3-BR are about that price.
I have to say, first of all, NOVA site, this is the most informative site I have been to

I really appreciate everyone getting back to me and giving me some direction here - thank you

Do you remember the name of the apartment rental you were at and how far was you from DC ?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
It is called Tysons Glen and was just off Leesburg Pike (Route 7). I'm sure there are nicer places around but it was adequate, although a bit dated. We were limited because we had a large dog and needed a house (versus an apartment) and finding those 2 things together made it very difficult. But it was safe and convenient and those were our main criteria. It was walking distance to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and Tysons Pimmet Library as well as some other restaurants and stores (albeit all in shopping centers). I commuted to Maryland from there, so not sure how long it would take to get into the city. As far as commutes go around here, though it wouldn't be bad - definitely less than an hour. Others might have other/better suggestions for you. As I said, this was just off the top of my head that I think you'd be okay with that price range. I don't know Alexandria or Springfield very well, and those might be good options, too.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It is called Tysons Glen and was just off Leesburg Pike (Route 7). I'm sure there are nicer places around but it was adequate, although a bit dated. We were limited because we had a large dog and needed a house (versus an apartment) and finding those 2 things together made it very difficult. But it was safe and convenient and those were our main criteria. It was walking distance to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's and Tysons Pimmet Library as well as some other restaurants and stores (albeit all in shopping centers). I commuted to Maryland from there, so not sure how long it would take to get into the city. As far as commutes go around here, though it wouldn't be bad - definitely less than an hour. Others might have other/better suggestions for you. As I said, this was just off the top of my head that I think you'd be okay with that price range. I don't know Alexandria or Springfield very well, and those might be good options, too.

Thanks so much, please keep them coming, I was able to get intouch with a Real Estate Agent and she has been awesome as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia