Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,231 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I have been reading the forums lately and they have provided a tremendous amount of helpful information. Thank you to everyone that posts.

Here is my situation. I am a 23 y/o firefighter paramedic who just finally got hired full-time by the Washington D.C. Fire Department. I currently live in Grand Blanc Michigan which is a suburb of Flint. I have a 3 year old son and my girlfriend will be moving out here as well. I have a cat and a mid size dog. I am looking to move into a two bedroom apartment in the price range of $1200 up to $1600. My girlfriend works as an EMT and is almost finished with nursing school. Between the two of us we should be making around $70,000 - $80,000 annually if not slightly more.

In my time out there I visited the Alexandria area, Falls Church area and the Vienna area. I really liked all of them and I am sure any of them are far superior to the suburbs of Flint.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good complex to move into. I am looking for family friendly, as commute friendly as possible, low crime, pet friendly and if possible near a metro station or within riding distance. I am very active, so bike trails and nearby parks are also a huge plus.

Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM

74 posts, read 187,909 times
I can recommend Edlandria Apartments. I have lived there for roughly 4 years and have enjoyed it. I think they are a great value for the price. They are roughly a mile from the Van Dorn station in Alexandria. The only major complaint is there is no visitor parking, but that can be dealt with local side streets.

Edlandria Apartments (http://www.dittmarcompany.com/communities/edlandria/edlandria.html - broken link)

Old 06-21-2009, 03:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I'd recommend the West End of Alexandria. You can sure find a two bed for less than $1600. A few good starts would be London Park Towers, Foxchase, ParcView, Seminary Towers, etc.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'd recommend the West End of Alexandria. You can sure find a two bed for less than $1600. A few good starts would be London Park Towers, Foxchase, ParcView, Seminary Towers, etc.
Foxchase seems to be the closest to what I am looking for. Vienna seems to be regarded very highly. Why is this?

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:37 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Do these apartment complexes allow mid size dogs?

I'd recommend renting a townhouse or small SFH. Back in the 60's a developer in Springfield put up hundreds of brick, 3br, 1ba ramblers on 1/4 acre lots. I've owned a few of them over the years and most recently (2006ish) rented them for $14-1500. I bet they still rent for well under $2 grand a month. The subdivisions are North Springfield, Ravensworth, Lynbrook and Springfield. (zip 22150, 22151)

Fido needs a yard!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Fido needs a yard!
So does ScranBarre! I miss being able to pull weeds, rake leaves, edge, mow the grass, plant flowers, etc.! Methinks if I bought some Scotts Turf Builder and went out with a spreader around my complex I'd be evicted!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Hey there--I don't have any helpful suggestions, but I wanted to say congrats on getting the job! Also, welcome to NOVA.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM

628 posts, read 1,934,000 times
I don't live in Vienna, but the general impression in this area is that Vienna is a well managed independent jurisdiction within the confines of Fairfax County. It's rules and regulations have promoted a small-town America feel with mostly well-kept properties and an excellent commercial core along its main street. Also, it is convenient to employment centers, such as the Dulles corridor, Tyson's Corner, CIA, and DC via Metro train. Consequently, it will be more expensive than Alexandria on average. Falls Church is a similar situation. For you, Alexandria is more convenient to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia