U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM

241 posts, read 951,099 times

Advertisements

I have family visiting.... three girls (15, 17 & 22) and they want to go to an amusement park this weekend. I also have a 3.5 yrs old daughter.
We don't want to stay overnight in a hotel so I was thinking about taking them to King's Dominion (since its only a 2 hr drive).

We're not roller coaster fans (any of us, including the girls) and I've read online reviews praising KD for roller coasters mostly although their website lists a lot of other rides too. I would like to know people's first-hand experience, would we enjoy the other rides or are they mostly crappy?

What has your experience of KD been? Also, would there be a big crowd since its July 4th weekend? Thanks for your inputs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM

273 posts, read 1,436,773 times
I like KD but I like roller coasters. Do you guys like swimming? There is a water park there and some shows but I don't know that I would pay the money to go to an amusement park and not ride rides. Where are you located? Maybe I could give some other suggestions. Do you guys like the beach?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 PM

8,673 posts, read 14,359,842 times
My son is 8 years old. He is just starting to like some of the smaller coasters. There has always been plenty for him to do without the coasters. When he was smaller he really liked the kiddie area. Of course there are the bumper cars, swings, old cars, scrambler, log flume, things like that to do. I kind of actully like the Scooby Doo haunted house. I wouldn't say the rides are crappy at all.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,589,660 times
I like KD but then again, I like coasters. KD really is a roller-coaster oriented theme park. Sure there are kid-friendly offerings but really not much.

If you aren't particularly a roller-coaster lover and if you were interested in an additional 1 hour of driving then maybe Busch Gardens in Williamsburg would be more to your liking.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM

9,570 posts, read 14,744,901 times
You could try Six Flags since it is much closer. I've never been there, though so I cannot comment. Another option would be Splash Down WaterPark in Manassas.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,568,060 times
Driving on I-95 S during July 4th weekend? *ugh* I think I'd opt to drive the slightly longer distance northbound and head for HersheyPark.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM

8,673 posts, read 14,359,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
You could try Six Flags since it is much closer. I've never been there, though so I cannot comment. Another option would be Splash Down WaterPark in Manassas.
From where are they coming? That would be helpful to know. Six Flags would be farther away if they are coming from west or south of KD.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:56 AM

55 posts, read 177,679 times
I like Kings Dominion because of the water park within it. It is a great break from rides and cools everyone off. We went twice last year on the weekend, and the lines were not very long at all. Some rides had no lines. Maybe this was due to the recession and the fact that it is further from DC metro area, but I'd rather drive a bit further and have no lines than drive less and have to deal with huge crowds and lines.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 AM

12,459 posts, read 14,462,642 times
Kings Dominion is a thrillriders dream. It has a lot of thrill-type rides. That said, there are some milder rides for those who don't. The park itself is not "pretty". It's all about the rides and very little theming. I've been many, many times and always find it to be very crowded with slow lines.

Depending on when you go, the traffic down I-95 can be horrendous.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:00 AM

241 posts, read 951,099 times
Thanks for your feedback everyone We're driving from Leesburg, VA on Friday morning. Busch Gardens is just one hour further. Should we go there instead? I checked out "tickets at work" and we'll get an adult ticket (e-ticket) for around $51 for Busch Gardens which looks like a good deal. I'm leaning towards Busch Gardens now, based on what I've read on the internet and your comments .

We all have been to Disney in FL and we loved it, is Busch Gardens that good too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia