U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 PM

29 posts, read 144,683 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are interested in purchasing an older home in Falls Church to tear down and build our dream home. I just have no idea about which builders are good and which are not. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 PM

106 posts, read 368,271 times
Do you have plans? Have you hired an architect? Did you know that an 'older' home is a possible environmental hazmat nightmare, with lead paint, asbestos, oil tanks, etc.? Sounds like you need a project manager not just a home builder.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 PM

2,756 posts, read 7,957,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit View Post
Do you have plans? Have you hired an architect? Did you know that an 'older' home is a possible environmental hazmat nightmare, with lead paint, asbestos, oil tanks, etc.? Sounds like you need a project manager not just a home builder.
Great advice. My friend has an architect friend who has a book of pre-designed homes. Basically you pick the style and the color, then work out the major details with them. Then after that, they may recommend a builder if they're not a design-build firm.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 AM

Hmmm, I was pretty sure I just had to hire a custom building firm and that they had everything, plans to choose from and that they would build the home...I thought that was what people were doing in Vienna, Falls Church, Arlington and Merrifield... I just don't have any custom builder firm recommendations!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:02 AM

5,124 posts, read 9,620,559 times
I have been quite impressed by JP Brehony in Vienna, Buchanan-Price, Harris Custom Builders, and Morris-Day in McLean and Tradition Homes in Arlington. [Brehony still has a few new houses still for sale in Vienna, but I'm not sure he's building new houses now.] Ayr Hill in Vienna also builds beautiful custom homes, although they have a reputation for being high-maintenance. Sekas is another high-end custom builder in the area, but has been building so many of the same "custom" homes in Vienna and McLean for years that they've started to seem generic to me.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I have been quite impressed by JP Brehony in Vienna, Buchanan-Price, Harris Custom Builders, and Morris-Day in McLean and Tradition Homes in Arlington. [Brehony still has a few new houses still for sale in Vienna, but I'm not sure he's building new houses now.] Ayr Hill in Vienna also builds beautiful custom homes, although they have a reputation for being high-maintenance. Sekas is another high-end custom builder in the area, but has been building so many of the same "custom" homes in Vienna and McLean for years that they've started to seem generic to me.
Thanks, I had not heard of most of those builders, but I'll definitely interview with them now!!! I REALLY, REALLY, appreciate your help!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM

216 posts, read 608,000 times
We are currently building in Falls Church using Tradition Homes (with very good results). I would be happy to provide more information.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 19,721 times
You will want to look into Reel Homes. They completed a project for me and were great. I beilive most of their houses are in the beltway area. Check them out at www.reel-homes.com. Good luck

Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,649,720 times
JDA builders in Vienna. JDA Custom Homes They built a BEAUTIFUL home for a friend, in the town of Vienna. They build all over Vienna.

If JP Brehony is still building, his homes are the best. His own house is for sale and I've heard he's moving to Richmond. But if he, or his company, are still building, I would recommend him over anyone else. J.P. Brehony - Your Hometown Builder Plus, he's an interesting guy to meet. He and his wife, fun folks, colorful, we might say.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM

715 posts, read 2,002,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaMPZ View Post
Hello,

We are interested in purchasing an older home in Falls Church to tear down and build our dream home. I just have no idea about which builders are good and which are not. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!!
High End: Bowa Builders

BOWA Builders, Inc. | A full-service construction company specializing in high-end additions, renovations and custom homes | Home

Moderate: New Dimension

New Dimensions Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia