Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:48 PM

77 posts, read 187,719 times

Advertisements

So, I am moving from RI to VA in September (at least I hope I am!) . I am wondering about areas. I will not be able to visit much before I move and I do not know anything about VA. I have heard before that there are not gangs or drug violence, but I would still like a reasonable, nice area. I rent (hence the gypsy part), I have a dog that would love a dog park, I love farmers markets and small local stores and coffee shops. I was thinking Old City Arlington (?), but I would also like something a little close to recreational things. To add to this, I have an 18 year old daughter that will be moving with me. She is out of school, but will be looking at college there, would like to learn Russian, and really needs to get some hobbies and a job too.
Does anyone know how long it takes to earn residency so you can go to school as an in-state student?
Thank you to anyone that can offer any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
If you're looking for a walkable neighborhood then your options outside the Beltway (I-495, which circles DC) are fairly limited. The city proper of Fairfax from what I've heard is very walkable (admittedly I haven't yet been there yet though), and I live near Reston Town Center, which is a walkable neighborhood (albeit sadly filled with chains instead of independent merchants/restaurants).

I think you meant Old Town Alexandria, not "Old City Arlington." Old Town Alexandria is gorgeous and by far my favorite NoVA neighborhood, but it comes with a hefty price tag. Most parts of Arlington are walkable as well, and they are "slightly" more affordable than Old Town Alexandria (places like Ballston, Shirlington, Clarendon, Court House). All of these areas have easy Metro accessibility. Reston, which is where I live, is actually surprisingly expensively-priced for its far-flung location with limited mass transit service out near Dulles Airport. I pay $1,135/month for a 1-BR, and that is actually a "good deal" from my price per square footage analysis. Many other 1-BR apartments here can easily net hundreds of dollars per month more (especially IN the town center). There's some sort of "prestige" I suppose associated with Reston to give it the edge in housing prices, even though I have yet to see what's so "superior" about it with its dearth of streetlights, sidewalks, bike lanes, and many other BASIC amenities.

My top choices for you?

1.) Old Town Alexandria (If you can afford it)
2.) Arlington
3.) Fairfax City
4.) Falls Church City
5.) Reston

Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,404 times
Hi there! I grew up in Narragansett

You need to live here 1 year to qualify as in-state. Fairfax City would put you very close to George Mason University, and it has a lot of what you're looking for without being as expensive as some of the other places ScranBarre listed. I agree with him, though, that Old Town Alexandria is aces if you can afford it. Kind if reminds me of Newport without the Salve Regina kids getting drunk all weekend.

Arlington as a whole is fantastic, too. Your daughter would meet a lot of people her age in the Clarendon area. We live in Falls Church City and I love the neighborhood, but it's an older demographic.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 PM

You are lucky for being from Narragansett. I can only dream! We live in Newport right now (and not the nice area). Most of the kids my daughter has gotten to know are nothing but trouble and there seems to be a lot of "low class" people. Just kind of rude people that are almost proud of living in section 8 housing developments, etc. It is also tough because there is not much for her to do. The bus does not go by the Y and we do not have the money like the families in the 5th ward or Point district to pay for sailing or diving lessons. She mainly just works and hangs out at home since school ended, which for an 18 year old can be pretty boring. I am hoping to find her an area that has a dog park close so she can walk and maybe a nice coffee place and random entertainment where she can go to meet other people.
I really appreciate your help on areas. I will definitely put those on my list!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks ScranBarre, I will definitely put those on my list. Thank you for correcting me on the Old Town Alexandria part! I thought it was Alexandria and changed it about 3 times until I thought---oh what the heck and just put a question mark by it. I am not sure if you have ever lived in RI, but I am kind of looking for a Federal Hill area, nice old, full of character homes and the small business district.
Again, thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediet View Post
Thanks ScranBarre, I will definitely put those on my list. Thank you for correcting me on the Old Town Alexandria part! I thought it was Alexandria and changed it about 3 times until I thought---oh what the heck and just put a question mark by it. I am not sure if you have ever lived in RI, but I am kind of looking for a Federal Hill area, nice old, full of character homes and the small business district.
Again, thanks!
I've never lived in Rhode Island, but our family has vacationed in both Providence and Newport, so I'm familiar with Federal Hill. Really the only thing that comes close would be the King Street corridor in Old Town Alexandria. Some people rave over the city of Falls Church, but I just happen to not find what's so "cute" about its traffic-filled downtown along Route 7. I'm curious to scope out the city of Fairfax, and I think that may be a good bet for you to scout out as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Some people rave over the city of Falls Church, but I just happen to not find what's so "cute" about its traffic-filled downtown along Route 7.
There is nothing cute about Rt. 7 or about the City of Falls Church in general. The neighborhoods behind, beside and around Rt. 7 are lovely, but not terribly remarkable. Solid neighborhoods like you'd find in most of Arlington, but none of that cutesy town center stuff. And I don't see anybody here who said it was "cute," so I don't know where that came from.

But the Walk Score from my house here is a 96. That is worth raving about. I don't think Falls Church is what the OP is looking for, but there are reasons people like to live here despite the disaster that is Rt. 7.

OP, if you're looking for Federal Hill what you probably want is Baltimore But barring that, Alexandria would definitely work.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
There is nothing cute about Rt. 7 or about the City of Falls Church in general. The neighborhoods behind, beside and around Rt. 7 are lovely, but not terribly remarkable. Solid neighborhoods like you'd find in most of Arlington, but none of that cutesy town center stuff. And I don't see anybody here who said it was "cute," so I don't know where that came from.

But the Walk Score from my house here is a 96. That is worth raving about. I don't think Falls Church is what the OP is looking for, but there are reasons people like to live here despite the disaster that is Rt. 7.

OP, if you're looking for Federal Hill what you probably want is Baltimore But barring that, Alexandria would definitely work.
I'm sorry to have offended you, but people outside the forum have ranted and raved over how "cute" Downtown Falls Church was, and assuming the "downtown" is what is along Route 7 through town I just can't disagree more with that sentiment. Falls Church could really stand to reinvest in its downtown. It has a great location sandwiched between two Metro stations that could funnel plenty of riders into town for shopping/dining/entertainment.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,095,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm sorry to have offended you, but people outside the forum have ranted and raved over how "cute" Downtown Falls Church was, and assuming the "downtown" is what is along Route 7 through town I just can't disagree more with that sentiment. Falls Church could really stand to reinvest in its downtown. It has a great location sandwiched between two Metro stations that could funnel plenty of riders into town for shopping/dining/entertainment.
I don't recall people ranting and raving about how "cute" downtown Falls Church is. A few folks pointed out that it's comparatively compact and highly convenient; some of us even recommended it to Alicia Bradley. And, some of the residential sections, particularly around Great Falls Street/Little Falls Street, are really nice - older homes, plenty of trees, etc.

You must be mistaking the people who call downtown Falls Church "cute" with the multitudes who call Herndon "Herndondez."

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,721,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediet View Post
So, I am moving from RI to VA in September (at least I hope I am!) . I am wondering about areas. I will not be able to visit much before I move and I do not know anything about VA. I have heard before that there are not gangs or drug violence, but I would still like a reasonable, nice area. I rent (hence the gypsy part), I have a dog that would love a dog park, I love farmers markets and small local stores and coffee shops. I was thinking Old City Arlington (?), but I would also like something a little close to recreational things. To add to this, I have an 18 year old daughter that will be moving with me. She is out of school, but will be looking at college there, would like to learn Russian, and really needs to get some hobbies and a job too.
Does anyone know how long it takes to earn residency so you can go to school as an in-state student?
Thank you to anyone that can offer any advice.
With what you've said, I'd definitely look in the Old Town or Del Ray areas of Alexandria. Del Ray has more of a small-town feel to it, while Old Town is pricier, busier, and (obviously) historic. They're both awesome areas. Rosemont is on the west side of the Metro tracks, across from Old Town and is also nice, but quieter (the plus is that you can still walk to the Metro or Old Town).

As for colleges, there's Marymount and George Mason in VA. If you're willing to let her go a little further away she could look at Mary Washington (Fredericksburg, VA). It's a good small state school about an hour from DC. A lot of the students grew up in Northern Virginia, and it is possible to commute, though it'd definitely be easier for her to stay in Fredericksburg. Actually, for that matter, you could try Fredericksburg if you don't mind a small town. I know you want walkable, which would pretty much restrict you to downtown or College Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia